* [BUG][e2fsprogs] e2fsck: e2fsck reports ext3 message when checking ext4 filesystem
@ 2008-12-24  3:14 Miao Xie
From: Miao Xie @ 2008-12-24  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Ts'o; +Cc: Linux-Ext4

Hi,

I use "e2fsck" to repair the damaged ext4 device.

The message was followings.

------
# ./e2fsck /dev/sdb3
e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
Superblock has an invalid ext3 journal (inode 8).
Clear<y>?
---

Why e2fsck tells me "ext3"? It looks the message was wrong
or e2fsck doesn't recognize ext4 correctly.

Thanks!
Miao Xie

* Re: [BUG][e2fsprogs] e2fsck: e2fsck reports ext3 message when checking ext4 filesystem
@ 2008-12-24  4:40 ` Manish Katiyar
From: Manish Katiyar @ 2008-12-24  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: miaox; +Cc: Theodore Ts'o, Linux-Ext4

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Miao Xie <miaox@cn.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use "e2fsck" to repair the damaged ext4 device.
>
> The message was followings.
>
> ------
> # ./e2fsck /dev/sdb3
> e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
> Superblock has an invalid ext3 journal (inode 8).
> Clear<y>?
> ---
>
> Why e2fsck tells me "ext3"?

Because it is hardcoded :-(

>From the file e2fsprogs/po/id.po :-

#. @-expanded: superblock has an invalid ext3 journal (inode %i).\n
#: e2fsck/problem.c:187
#, c-format
msgid "@S has an @n ext3 @j (@i %i).\n"
msgstr "@S memiliki sebuah @n ext3 @j (@i %i).\n"

Thanks -
Manish

@ 2008-12-24  7:34   ` Miao Xie
From: Miao Xie @ 2008-12-24  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish Katiyar; +Cc: Theodore Ts'o, Linux-Ext4

on 2008-12-24 12:40 Manish Katiyar wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Miao Xie <miaox@cn.fujitsu.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I use "e2fsck" to repair the damaged ext4 device.
>>
>> The message was followings.
>>
>> ------
>> # ./e2fsck /dev/sdb3
>> e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
>> Superblock has an invalid ext3 journal (inode 8).
>> Clear<y>?
>> ---
>>
>> Why e2fsck tells me "ext3"?
>
> Because it is hardcoded :-(
>
>>From the file e2fsprogs/po/id.po :-
>
> #. @-expanded: superblock has an invalid ext3 journal (inode %i).\n
> #: e2fsck/problem.c:187
> #, c-format
> msgid "@S has an @n ext3 @j (@i %i).\n"
> msgstr "@S memiliki sebuah @n ext3 @j (@i %i).\n"

I see.
I think e2fsck should tell the correct information, so
this problem must be fixed.

Thanks.
Miao Xie

@ 2009-02-11  2:35   ` Miao Xie
From: Miao Xie @ 2009-02-11  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish Katiyar; +Cc: Theodore Ts'o, Linux-Ext4

on 2008-12-24 12:40 Manish Katiyar wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Miao Xie <miaox@cn.fujitsu.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I use "e2fsck" to repair the damaged ext4 device.
>>
>> The message was followings.
>>
>> ------
>> # ./e2fsck /dev/sdb3
>> e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
>> Superblock has an invalid ext3 journal (inode 8).
>> Clear<y>?
>> ---
>>
>> Why e2fsck tells me "ext3"?
>
> Because it is hardcoded :-(
>
>>From the file e2fsprogs/po/id.po :-
>
> #. @-expanded: superblock has an invalid ext3 journal (inode %i).\n
> #: e2fsck/problem.c:187
> #, c-format
> msgid "@S has an @n ext3 @j (@i %i).\n"
> msgstr "@S memiliki sebuah @n ext3 @j (@i %i).\n"

someone submitted a patch to fix this bug. I tested it and the test was pass.
But I found the translation is not updated.

Thanks!
Miao