On 07/27/2017 04:23 PM, John Snow wrote: >>> >>> "Allocations may be considered either used or unused by the format >>> driver interpreting those allocations. It is at the discretion of the >>> format driver (e.g. qcow2) which regions of its backing storage are >>> considered in-use or not." >> >> So we are saying about "allocations". But unallocated data may be >> used/unused too, so, >> can we call unallocated areas "allocations"? >> > > You're right, "allocation" may imply something that is extant, but these > are more like regions ... Even 'extent' might have a connotation of something reserved; other related words like 'block' are bad (a block of a block device?). > > Uh; > > "Regions" may be considered either used or unused? > > or > > "Regions of the underlying protocol file may be considered used or > unused by the format driver interpreting these regions." So this is one of the better variations I've seen, and works for me. -- Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer Red Hat, Inc. +1-919-301-3266 Virtualization: qemu.org | libvirt.org