From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@paralogos.com>
To: Nils Faerber <nils.faerber@kernelconcepts.de>
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: Ingenic JZ4730 - illegal instruction
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 03:39:24 -0500	[thread overview]

The only thing that you've mentioned below that really makes me think
that you're looking at a kernel bug is the comment about things not
failing under GDB.  But if *any* of the programs that are failing fail
under gdb, I'd want to know just what instruction is at the place where
they're taking a SIGILL. If gdb heisenbergs things too much, then the
basic brute force thing to do would be to instrument the kernel itself
to report on what happened, and what it sees at the "bad instruction"
address, using printk.  If the memory value actually looks like a legit
instruction, it would confirm the hypothesis that you've got an icache
maintenance problem.  I note that the Ingenic patch has a "flushcaches"
routine that has hardwired assumptions about the cache organization.
Could those be incorrect on the chip you're using?

          Regards, and happy hunting,

          Kevin K.