From: Vlad Yasevich <vladislav.yasevich@hp.com>
To: Markus Feldmann <feldmann_markus@gmx.de>
Cc: netdev@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: no IPv6 Routers present
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 19:17:37 -0400	[thread overview]

Markus Feldmann wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> i am working on a combined Firewall, means
> 2 Firewalls on one Personal Computer.
>
> The first firewall is for my <ppp0> and
> the second firewall is for <eth0> if i connect
> through my Server to the internet.
>
> However, if i plug off and plug in my network
> cable, to change the connection from <eth0> to
> <ppp0>, the connection to internet fails.
> From <ppp0> to <eth0> works, but than i can
> not switch back because of a unkown connection
> error.
>
> <dmesg> prints out:
> no IPv6 Router present

This is just an information message when it's trying to
configure IPv6.

> Ok maybe this is true. There is no IPv6 Router
> in my lan, but why do my Kernel not switch back
> to IPv4 ?

It didn't switch to IPv6 in the first place.  There is not switch.
The two work side-by-side.

If IPv4 is correctly configured it should continue to work.

> How can i correct this ?
> I do not want to disable the whole IPv6 kernel/program
> options.

You can do this now in 2.6.29-rcXXX, but not before.  Also,
my bet is that something other then IPv6 is wrong here.

You need to give more information about your interface configurations,
routes, and any firewall rules.

-vlad