From: Avi Kivity <avi@redhat.com>
To: Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@web.de>
Cc: Beth Kon <eak@us.ibm.com>, Glauber Costa <glommer@redhat.com>,
	kvm <kvm@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: qemu-kvm broken after ./configure --disable-kvm
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 14:31:52 +0300	[thread overview]

Jan Kiszka wrote:

>>> With latest git, things break much earlier in case your host does not
>>> provide linux/kvm.h because libkvm-all.h includes it unconditionally.
>>>

>> But qemu-kvm carries linux/kvm.h, so this never happens?
>>

> 1. qemu-kvm does not use its own headers when you specify --disble-kvm.
>    That's the technical reason for this bug.

Ah, okay.  This should be fixed (by including the headers) as long as we
continue to carry kvm.h.

> 2. Upstream does not, and it's unclear if it ever will (if we push
>    recent headers into kvm-kmod, I think there is no urgent need
>    anymore). At least for code to-be-pushed upstream, we must not
>    rely in this anyway.

Yes.

Adding the headers to kvm-kmod.h is the right thing technically, but
something tells me we'll get a lot of failures by people compiling first
and installing later, rather than the sequence needed to make things
work: compile and install kvm-kmod, compile and install qemu[-kvm].  Not
all of the failures will be visible at compile time.