From: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>
To: Jason Johnson <jason.johnson.081@gmail.com>
Cc: SE-Linux <selinux@tycho.nsa.gov>
Subject: Re: Possible bug with fd class?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:18:39 +0900	[thread overview]

Jason Johnson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am using SELinux on the latest debian.  It has a few access
> violations here and there, but the one that concerns me most is:
>
> kernel: [1298522.518701] type=1400 audit(1245126419.780:229): avc:
> denied  { use } for  pid=29944 comm="syslog-ng" path="/dev/null"
> dev=tmpfs ino=634 scontext=system_u:system_r:syslogd_t:s0
> tcontext=system_u:system_r:logrotate_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 tclass=fd
>

> /dev/null is:
>
> # semanage fcontext -l|grep null_device_t
> /dev/null                                          character device
> system_u:object_r:null_device_t:s0
> /dev/full                                          character device
> system_u:object_r:null_device_t:s0
>

> I don't see a way with semanage to set anything about class "fd" and
> sesearch didn't seem to turn anything up.  How could /dev/null fd be
> in context logrotate_t?

The "fd" class represents a file descriptor object, not any filesystem
objects. For example, if you open the /tmp/aaa, this file belongs to
"file" class, but the file descriptor of the file belongs to "fd" class.

It seems to me the policy does not allow:

  logrotate_use_fds(syslogd_t)

> I could just add an allow for this on a local module, but my concern
> is: can a user program just set arbitrary fd's to it's own target
> context as well?

The fd class inherits the security context of the process which opened
itself.

> I appreciate any insight you all can give.
>
> Sincerely,
> Jason

OSS Platform Development Division, NEC
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>