* where is the canonical OE web site these days?
@ 2009-11-05  5:15 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2009-11-05  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

  if one goes to openembedded.org these days, one gets to
linuxtogo.org.  but there's also the site openembedded.net, which
takes you to a fairly useful wiki (even if some of the info seems a
bit out of date).  and the linuxtogo wiki definitely doesn't take one
over to the openembedded.net wiki.

  so where's the official portal these days?

rday

* Re: where is the canonical OE web site these days?
@ 2009-11-05  5:34 ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2009-11-05  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 12:15:09AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   if one goes to openembedded.org these days, one gets to
> linuxtogo.org.  but there's also the site openembedded.net, which
> takes you to a fairly useful wiki (even if some of the info seems a
> bit out of date).  and the linuxtogo wiki definitely doesn't take one
> over to the openembedded.net wiki.
>
>   so where's the official portal these days?

Try http://www.openembedded.org or http://wiki.openembedded.org. I believe
there is a misconfiguration (in DNS?) where openembedded.org points to the IP
address of linuxtogo.org, hence opening http://openembedded.org opens
http://linuxtogo.org
Not sure if there was a reason for that, as linuxtogo.org handles the mailing
list, but that would require an MX record, not IN...

openembedded.net is an older and different zone, which has no such issue.
AFAIK, there is a move to deprecate openembedded.net in favor of
openembedded.org...

Current infrastructure is documented here:
http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Infrastructure

--
Denys

* Re: where is the canonical OE web site these days?
@ 2009-11-05  5:48   ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2009-11-05  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 12:34:59AM -0500, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 12:15:09AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   if one goes to openembedded.org these days, one gets to
> > linuxtogo.org.  but there's also the site openembedded.net, which
> > takes you to a fairly useful wiki (even if some of the info seems a
> > bit out of date).  and the linuxtogo wiki definitely doesn't take one
> > over to the openembedded.net wiki.
> >
> >   so where's the official portal these days?
>
> Try http://www.openembedded.org or http://wiki.openembedded.org. I believe
> there is a misconfiguration (in DNS?) where openembedded.org points to the IP
> address of linuxtogo.org, hence opening http://openembedded.org opens
> http://linuxtogo.org
> Not sure if there was a reason for that, as linuxtogo.org handles the mailing
> list, but that would require an MX record, not IN...

Sorry, meant to say "would require MX record, not A"...

Hmm, interesting. According to my dig, there is no MX record for
openembedded.org. Then lists.openembedded.org is a CNAME to openembedded.org -
no wonder it requires to point A record to linuxtogo.org for the mailing list
to work properly... I'm not sure why it's being done this way - let's ask
admins :)

@ 2009-11-05  6:45     ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2009-11-05  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 11/05/2009 05:48 AM, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 12:34:59AM -0500, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 12:15:09AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>>
>>>    if one goes to openembedded.org these days, one gets to
>>> linuxtogo.org.  but there's also the site openembedded.net, which
>>> takes you to a fairly useful wiki (even if some of the info seems a
>>> bit out of date).  and the linuxtogo wiki definitely doesn't take one
>>> over to the openembedded.net wiki.
>>>
>>>    so where's the official portal these days?
>>
>> Try http://www.openembedded.org or http://wiki.openembedded.org. I believe
>> there is a misconfiguration (in DNS?) where openembedded.org points to the IP
>> address of linuxtogo.org, hence opening http://openembedded.org opens
>> http://linuxtogo.org
>> Not sure if there was a reason for that, as linuxtogo.org handles the mailing
>> list, but that would require an MX record, not IN...
>
> Sorry, meant to say "would require MX record, not A"...
>
> Hmm, interesting. According to my dig, there is no MX record for
> openembedded.org. Then lists.openembedded.org is a CNAME to openembedded.org -
> no wonder it requires to point A record to linuxtogo.org for the mailing list
> to work properly... I'm not sure why it's being done this way - let's ask
> admins :)

Yeah, I tried setting up a MX record once, but for some reason it did
not work. We'll talk a little about this at OEDEM and I will see if I
can work out a way to resolve this problem.

Philip

@ 2009-11-05  7:01     ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2009-11-05  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 12:34:59AM -0500, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 12:15:09AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >
> > >   if one goes to openembedded.org these days, one gets to
> > > linuxtogo.org.  but there's also the site openembedded.net, which
> > > takes you to a fairly useful wiki (even if some of the info seems a
> > > bit out of date).  and the linuxtogo wiki definitely doesn't take one
> > > over to the openembedded.net wiki.
> > >
> > >   so where's the official portal these days?
> >
> > Try http://www.openembedded.org or http://wiki.openembedded.org. I
> > believe there is a misconfiguration (in DNS?) where
> > openembedded.org points to the IP address of linuxtogo.org, hence
> > opening http://openembedded.org opens http://linuxtogo.org Not
> > sure if there was a reason for that, as linuxtogo.org handles the
> > mailing list, but that would require an MX record, not IN...
>
> Sorry, meant to say "would require MX record, not A"...
>
> Hmm, interesting. According to my dig, there is no MX record for
> openembedded.org. Then lists.openembedded.org is a CNAME to
> openembedded.org - no wonder it requires to point A record to
> linuxtogo.org for the mailing list to work properly... I'm not sure
> why it's being done this way - let's ask admins :)

  i only brought this up since i was getting a bit confused as to what
were valid URLs and websites for OE.  as i mentioned earlier, some of
the top-level links at http://openembedded.org/ (eg., "OpenEmbedded",
"OpenZaurus" and "G(PE)^2") all appear borked.  at the very least, my
ISP claims that they don't resolve.

  and i ran across wiki.openembedded.net strictly by accident, but
it's obvious that it's still active, as there are recent news articles
from just last month.

  however, it's just as obvious that some of that info is out of date.
here:

  http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/OEandYourDistro

some of the distros listed there really are long gone (fedora 2/3/4),
and documenting them probably has little value.

  and as for fedora 11, some of the listed "necessary" packages really
aren't.  in particular, it appears that the "python-psyco" package
doesn't even *exist* anymore in f11.  just an observation.

  but glitches aside, a lot of that info is useful and should be more
obviously available.

@ 2009-11-05  8:27       ` Graeme Gregory
From: Graeme Gregory @ 2009-11-05  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 02:01:02AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   but glitches aside, a lot of that info is useful and should be more
> obviously available.

Obvious as in the advertised addresses of www.openembedded.org and
www.openembedded.net? Im really confused at what you want.

Graeme

* Re: where is the canonical OE web site these days?
@ 2009-11-05  8:39         ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2009-11-05  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009, Graeme Gregory wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 02:01:02AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   but glitches aside, a lot of that info is useful and should be more
> > obviously available.
> >
> Obvious as in the advertised addresses of www.openembedded.org and
> www.openembedded.net? Im really confused at what you want.

  no, *not* obvious at all since, if one browses over to the
(intuitively obvious URL of) openembedded.org, one ends up at
what appears to be linux-to-go.org.  once there, the link of "wiki
documentation" takes one to *someone's* idea of a wiki, while the top
level link to "OpenEmbedded" is currently broken, but if it worked, it
would take one to http://oe.linuxtogo.org/ (whatever that is supposed
to be).

  there is no obvious hint that i can see that would direct readers
to openembedded.net, which takes one directly to *that* wiki.

  this might all just be a result of misconfigured DNS, but having two
top-level openembedded domain names (openembedded.org and
openembedded.net) really will cause some confusion.

  oh, wait, i just noticed that a simple "openembedded.org" will take
you to linuxtogo, while the more formal "www.openembedded.org" takes
you to the openembedded.net wiki.  i definitely think this needs some
reorg.

@ 2009-11-05  9:14         ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2009-11-05  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 11/05/2009 08:27 AM, Graeme Gregory wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 02:01:02AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>    but glitches aside, a lot of that info is useful and should be more
>> obviously available.
>>
> Obvious as in the advertised addresses of www.openembedded.org and
> www.openembedded.net? Im really confused at what you want.

openembedded.org used to re-direct to www.openembedded.org. Rather than
fix this, I'd like to get the mail sorted out so it works with a MX
record, then we can easily point openembedded.org at
www.openembedded.org, without depending on ltg to do the re-direct.

Philip

@ 2009-11-05  9:21           ` Graeme Gregory
From: Graeme Gregory @ 2009-11-05  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 03:39:26AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Nov 2009, Graeme Gregory wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 02:01:02AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >   but glitches aside, a lot of that info is useful and should be more
> > > obviously available.
> > >
> > Obvious as in the advertised addresses of www.openembedded.org and
> > www.openembedded.net? Im really confused at what you want.
>
>   no, *not* obvious at all since, if one browses over to the
> (intuitively obvious URL of) openembedded.org, one ends up at
> what appears to be linux-to-go.org.  once there, the link of "wiki
> documentation" takes one to *someone's* idea of a wiki, while the top
> level link to "OpenEmbedded" is currently broken, but if it worked, it
> would take one to http://oe.linuxtogo.org/ (whatever that is supposed
> to be).
>
>   there is no obvious hint that i can see that would direct readers
> to openembedded.net, which takes one directly to *that* wiki.
>
>   this might all just be a result of misconfigured DNS, but having two
> top-level openembedded domain names (openembedded.org and
> openembedded.net) really will cause some confusion.
>
>   oh, wait, i just noticed that a simple "openembedded.org" will take
> you to linuxtogo, while the more formal "www.openembedded.org" takes
> you to the openembedded.net wiki.  i definitely think this needs some
> reorg.

Your making a whole lot of traffic about one simple DNS misconfiguration.

www.openembedded.(net|org) is the canonical address. They lead to the
most "correct" information we have. Philip has already said he will
look at the DNS problem at OEDEM.

Graeme