From: "Henry W. Peters" <hwpeters@jamadots.com>
To: The development of GNU GRUB <grub-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: GRUB update problems
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 12:01:08 -0500	[thread overview]

Robert Millan wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:39:38AM -0500, Henry W. Peters wrote:
>
>> Ok, not getting any response here, probably means either:
>>
>> 1.) This is not the correct forum for someone NOT knowledgeable in the
>> inner workings of GRUB2,
>>
>> 2.) & or no one give a flying fig if someone has a serious problem
>> involving GRUB (1 or 2).
>>
>> Would someone be so kind as to explain... & perhaps, if necessary,
>> direct me to a forum that might actually be able to help me problem
>> solve here?
>>

> In principle, the right list for obtaining help with GRUB would be
> help-grub.
>
> But in practice, I'm not sure if there will be people there who can
> provide user assistance.  Therefore user questions are tollerated in
> grub-devel.
>
> I'd really like to make help-grub the user support forum, but since I don't
> have more time to volunteer myself, I'm not sure how to make this happen.
>
> FWIW, if anyone who reads this is willing to help the GRUB project by
> watching help-grub and helping with user requests there, he/she's more
> than welcome to do that.

Hi Robert (& any one willing & or able to try & help here, in some way),

I do appreciate your response. I did a search & found the grub-help
list, I signed up, & now know (at least) probably not much help there.

Perhaps the simplest request, since I tried reinstalling it, then
uninstalled grub2 (& grub), tried lilo, then installing (I think) legacy
grub (this thru synaptic p.m.), & I just read (a portion) of the grub
manual... & do believe I got, previously, some possibly dangerous advise
previously on grub-dev list (grub-install), but in any case, if I just
knew where to find relatively clear information on how to configure (or
whatever needs to be done to connect a fresh install of grub (or grub2)
with the kernel, & or whatever is necessary), considering I am booted
from a disk (pmagic), which uses grub2, v. 0.97-os.1, into my OS, Debian
Lenny, sid/squeeze, kernel 2.6.32, this might be of some help. In a
*cursory* look thru the grub manual, I couldn't find this.

& by the way, this version of grub allows my monitor to work in correct
resolution, with out problems (trying to fix this, was original cause of
my problem/s here, apparently, the startup-manager would not connect its
parameters with grub). I think the version of grub2 that got 'upgraded'
was v. 0.973-alpha (alas,not really sure of this, in any case, it was
the latest upgrade just several days ago).

Hoping this make enough sense to possibly advise a trail toward resolution.

Henry