On 03/17/2010 03:10 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote: > * Anthony Liguori wrote: > > >> On 03/16/2010 12:39 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote: >> >>>> If we look at the use-case, it's going to be something like, a user is >>>> creating virtual machines and wants to get performance information about >>>> them. >>>> >>>> Having to run a separate tool like perf is not going to be what they would >>>> expect they had to do. Instead, they would either use their existing GUI >>>> tool (like virt-manager) or they would use their management interface >>>> (either QMP or libvirt). >>>> >>>> The complexity of interaction is due to the fact that perf shouldn't be a >>>> stand alone tool. It should be a library or something with a programmatic >>>> interface that another tool can make use of. >>>> >>> But ... a GUI interface/integration is of course possible too, and it's being >>> worked on. >>> >>> perf is mainly a kernel developer tool, and kernel developers generally dont >>> use GUIs to do their stuff: which is the (sole) reason why its first ~850 >>> commits of tools/perf/ were done without a GUI. We go where our developers >>> are. >>> >>> In any case it's not an excuse to have no proper command-line tooling. In fact >>> if you cannot get simpler, more atomic command-line tooling right then you'll >>> probably doubly suck at doing a GUI as well. >>> >> It's about who owns the user interface. >> >> If qemu owns the user interface, than we can satisfy this in a very simple >> way by adding a perf monitor command. If we have to support third party >> tools, then it significantly complicates things. >> > Of course illogical modularization complicates things 'significantly'. > Ok. Then apply this to the kernel. I'm then happy to take patches. Regards, Anthony Liguori