From: Sven Eschenberg <sven@whgl.uni-frankfurt.de>
To: dm-crypt@saout.de
Subject: Re: [dm-crypt] avoid keyloggers: enter password with mouse	(virtual keyboard)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 01:54:34 +0200	[thread overview]

Last time I checked, cyptsetup did support reading the passphrase from
STDIN. Quoting the man page, cause I am lazy:

NOTES ON PASSWORD PROCESSING
        From a file descriptor or a terminal: Password processing  is
new-line
        sensitive, meaning the reading will stop after encountering \n.
It will
        process the read material (without newline) with the  default
hash  or
        the  hash given by --hash. After hashing, it will be cropped to
the key
        size given by -s.

        From stdin: Reading will continue until EOF (so using e.g.
/dev/random
        as stdin will not work), with the trailing newline stripped.
After that
        the read data will be hashed with the default hash or the hash
given by
        --hash  and  the  result will be cropped to the keysize given by
-s. If
        "plain" is used as an argument to the hash option, the input
data  will
        not  be  hashed.   Instead, it will be zero padded (if shorter
than the
        keysize) or truncated (if longer than the keysize) and used
directly as
        the key. No warning will be given if the amount of data read
from stdin
        is less than the keysize.

even --keyfile=- is supported (by the way) and behaves slightly
different than reading directly from STDIN.

Just my 2 cents.

-Sven