Hi, getting ready for the release of makepp version 2.0, I'm testing it for building various popular open source software. Git has been giving our promise of Gnu make compatibility a hard time. I have just checked in a series of small fixes, many which were needed to compile Git. This includes things like: * accepting an action-prefix of + * implementing the cosmetic --no-print-directory directory option, which in your usage is essential * smarter MAKEFLAGS handling, because you unset it several times, but we have more options, some must reach the submake * allow special variables like $@ outside of rules — this used to be an error There are however two things which I can hardly hope to fix: GIT-VERSION-FILE: FORCE @$(SHELL_PATH) ./GIT-VERSION-GEN -include GIT-VERSION-FILE .PHONY: FORCE I don't know why you depend on a phony that has no rule — I also had to make that possible. The file needs to be built immediately so that it can be included, before reading the rest of the makefile. But the dependency is only known to be phony after running the rule. Here you have a hen-egg problem, where I have no clue how Gnu make can cope (this is the one case where it requires .PHONY). Anyway, makepp needs the phony declaration before. The other thing caused me quite a headache before I understood: PERL_PATH_SQ = $(subst ','\'',$(PERL_PATH))#' I suppose you added the comment for Emacs' syntax highlighting, to have an even number of unescaped quotes. The problem is makepp parses this line just like Emacs, so it doesn't find the comment, adding in the #' at the point of use, which completely screws the sed command. (You might want to apply my fix to a few other makefiles, which have SQ variables, albeit without the syntax highlighting workaround, so they are only visually defect.) coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn Daniel Pfeiffer -- lerne / learn / apprends / lär dig / ucz się Esperanto: http://lernu.net /http://ikurso.net