* OMAP ISP and Overlay
@ 2010-08-24 13:40 Lane Brooks
From: Lane Brooks @ 2010-08-24 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: laurent.pinchart, linux-media

  Laurent,

So far I have the everything working with the OMAP ISP to where I can
stream video on our custom board. On a previous generation of hardware
with a completely different processor and sensor, we used the V4L2
overlay feature to stream directly to our LCD for preview. I am
wondering what the plans are for overlay support in the omap ISP? How
does the overlay feature fit into the new media bus feature?

Thanks,
Lane

* Re: OMAP ISP and Overlay
@ 2010-08-25  9:26 ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2010-08-25  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lane Brooks; +Cc: linux-media

Hi Lane,

On Tuesday 24 August 2010 15:40:01 Lane Brooks wrote:

> So far I have the everything working with the OMAP ISP to where I can stream
> video on our custom board.

Great news.

A new version of the ISP driver will soon be published with all the legacy
code removed. We need a few days to setup the repository properly. You can
already get a preview at http://git.linuxtv.org/pinchartl/media.git (omap3isp-
rx51 branch).

> On a previous generation of hardware with a completely different processor
> and sensor, we used the V4L2 overlay feature to stream directly to our LCD
> for preview. I am wondering what the plans are for overlay support in the
> omap ISP? How does the overlay feature fit into the new media bus feature?

The OMAP3 ISP driver won't support V4L2 overlay directly. However, you can use
the USERPTR streaming mode and pass framebuffer memory directly to the ISP
driver, resulting in DMA to the framebuffer and improved efficiency.

Laurent Pinchart

* RE: OMAP ISP and Overlay
@ 2010-08-26 16:55   ` Hiremath, Vaibhav
From: Hiremath, Vaibhav @ 2010-08-26 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart, Lane Brooks; +Cc: linux-media

Sorry for late reply,

Just wanted to add on top of this, you could use V4L2 Display driver here which supports 2 video planes (over /dev/video0 & /dev/video1) along with both User pointer mode and MMAP mode of operation.

Thanks,
Vaibhav