* [Buildroot] Build error "cannot find -lc"
@ 2010-09-10 22:16 S W
From: S W @ 2010-09-10 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi

I am using Buildroot-2010.08 to create a arm-linux kernel,
but I encountered an error message like
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc

And I attached the whole output message with this email.

Would anyone please give me any advice?

Thanks
Terry

* [Buildroot] Build error "cannot find -lc"
@ 2010-09-11  8:52 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2010-09-11  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 07:16:46 +0900
S W <sw18@hotmail.co.jp> wrote:

> I am using Buildroot-2010.08 to create a arm-linux kernel,
> but I encountered an error message like
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
>
> And I attached the whole output message with this email.
>
> Would anyone please give me any advice?

Which distro are you using ?

Here, host-module-init-tools is trying to link statically the insmod
program, so it needs the static version of the C library, which does
not seem to be avaible on your system.

Some distributions (especially RPM based distro it seems, like
RedHat, Fedora, Mandriva and OpenSuse) ship this as a separate package,
sometimes named "glibc-static" or something similar. Anyhow, you should
have a "libc.a" file, either in /lib or /usr/lib, for this to work.
Just find the package of your distro that contains it.

Can you check this out, and report to us, so that we can implement
something to warn out users about this ?

Thanks!

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] Build error "cannot find -lc"
@ 2010-09-11 18:09   ` S W
From: S W @ 2010-09-11 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas

Thank you so much for your prompt response!

I am using Fedora 12, which I installed from a live CD.

I will try it on Monday. And I will post my results once

I have update information.

 Thanks!

Terry

@ 2010-09-13 17:37     ` S W
From: S W @ 2010-09-13 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi

I checked the /lib and /usr/lib, but I couldn't find
glibc.a file.
So I did "yum install glibc-static" to install the libc.a file.
Now it is OK with this problem.

But I encountered another problem when I tried to build
Uboot loader, which is "No rule to make target `ubootboard_config'".
ubootboard_config is the name for Uboot loader.
I think I have to send another email for this issue.

Thanks
Terry
From: sw18@hotmail.co.jp
To: thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com; buildroot at busybox.net
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 03:09:02 +0900
Subject: Re: [Buildroot] Build error "cannot find -lc"

@ 2010-09-13 17:47       ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2010-09-13 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 02:37:22 +0900
S W <sw18@hotmail.co.jp> wrote:

> I checked the /lib and /usr/lib, but I couldn't find
> glibc.a file.
> So I did "yum install glibc-static" to install the libc.a file.
> Now it is OK with this problem.

Ok, thanks.

Peter, what can we do about this ? Should we enforce the fact that
glibc-static is installed globally ? Or just if host-module-init-tools
is going to be compiled ?

> But I encountered another problem when I tried to build
> Uboot loader, which is "No rule to make target `ubootboard_config'".
> ubootboard_config is the name for Uboot loader.
> I think I have to send another email for this issue.

You have incorrectly set the BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_BOARDNAME. It must be set
to a board name that is valid in U-Boot. Which board are you targeting ?

Regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] Build error: No rule to make target `ubootboard_config'
@ 2010-09-13 17:51     ` S W
From: S W @ 2010-09-13 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi

I am trying to build a Uboot loader for ARM.
If I leave the "U-boot board name" as blank,
there is an error as "NO U-Boot board name set.
Check your BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_BOARDNAME setting."

But if I input the U-Boot board name as a name like "ubootboard",
I encountered another error "No rule to make target `ubootboard_config".

I attached the error message with this email.

How I create the build rule for U-Boot board?

Thanks
Terry

From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2010-09-13 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 02:51:42 +0900
S W <sw18@hotmail.co.jp> wrote:

> I am trying to build a Uboot loader for ARM.

"ARM" is a very general core architecture. There are dozens of
companies building processors based on the ARM architecture, producing
hundreds of different processors, used in thousands of different boards.

So "building U-Boot for ARM" is not precise enough, and it's definitely
the thing that you seem to misunderstand.

> If I leave the "U-boot board name" as blank,
> there is an error as "NO U-Boot board name set.
> Check your BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_BOARDNAME setting."

Yes, U-Boot needs to be configured by providing the name of the board
you are targeting. See

> But if I input the U-Boot board name as a name like "ubootboard",
> I encountered another error "No rule to make target
> `ubootboard_config".

Obviously it seems you're misunderstanding a bit what this is all about.
"ubootboard" is not a valid board name. See include/configs/ in U-Boot
sources for the valid board names in U-Boot.

Try "at91sam9263ek" as a board name. U-Boot will compile properly...
but will very likely not work on your hardware, unless it is the
AT91SAM9263-EK board (which is an evaluation kit of the AT91SAM9263
CPU, sold by Atmel).

> How I create the build rule for U-Boot board?

Two choices :

 *) U-Boot is already ported to your hardware. In that case, you only
    need to find what file in include/configs/ in the U-Boot sources
    correspond to the board that you have.

 *) U-Boot is not already ported to your hardware. Then it's a lot more
    work since you'll have to do the porting by yourself.

I repeat my question: on which hardware do you want to run U-Boot ?

Regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2010-09-13 20:16         ` S W
From: S W @ 2010-09-13 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas

Thank you so much for your nice explanation!
Yes I have misunderstood about ARM.
Like you said, it is a general architecture.

I will figure out the hardware board name from my headquater company.

But I have a doubt about the boads that U-Boot can deal with.
You told me that there thousands of different boards. But how
can U-Boot know these board names? And how can U-Boot know
there are new boards that come out?

Thanks
Terry

@ 2010-09-13 21:19         ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2010-09-13 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 Thomas> Hello,
 Thomas> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 02:37:22 +0900
 Thomas> S W <sw18@hotmail.co.jp> wrote:

 >> I checked the /lib and /usr/lib, but I couldn't find
 >> glibc.a file.
 >> So I did "yum install glibc-static" to install the libc.a file.
 >> Now it is OK with this problem.

 Thomas> Ok, thanks.

 Thomas> Peter, what can we do about this ? Should we enforce the fact that
 Thomas> glibc-static is installed globally ? Or just if host-module-init-tools
 Thomas> is going to be compiled ?

Globally I would say. host-module-init-tools probably isn't the only
package that might want to link something statically.

Perhaps we could simply try to compile (statically) && run something
like:

int main(void) { return 0; }

in dependencies.mk and error out if it fails.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] Build error "cannot find -lc"
@ 2010-09-14  4:09           ` Mitch Davis
From: Mitch Davis @ 2010-09-14  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Peter Korsgaard <jacmet@uclibc.org> wrote:

>  Thomas> Hello,
>  Thomas> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 02:37:22 +0900
>  Thomas> S W <sw18@hotmail.co.jp> wrote:
>
>  >> I checked the /lib and /usr/lib, but I couldn't find
>  >> glibc.a file.
>  >> So I did "yum install glibc-static" to install the libc.a file.
>  >> Now it is OK with this problem.
>
>  Thomas> Ok, thanks.
>
>  Thomas> Peter, what can we do about this ? Should we enforce the fact that
>  Thomas> glibc-static is installed globally ? Or just if host-module-init-tools
>  Thomas> is going to be compiled ?
>
> Globally I would say. host-module-init-tools probably isn't the only
> package that might want to link something statically.

I'm still confused as to why a host-side app should need to be static linked...

I would rather not install glibc.a on my host...

Mitch.

* [Buildroot] Build error: No rule to make target `ubootboard_config'
@ 2010-09-14 17:29           ` Marcus Osdoba
From: Marcus Osdoba @ 2010-09-14 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 Am 13.09.2010 22:16, schrieb S W:
> Hi Thomas
>
> Thank you so much for your nice explanation!
> Yes I have misunderstood about ARM.
> Like you said, it is a general architecture.
>
> I will figure out the hardware board name from my headquater company.
>
> But I have a doubt about the boads that U-Boot can deal with.
> You told me that there thousands of different boards. But how
> can U-Boot know these board names? And how can U-Boot know
> there are new boards that come out?
Hi Terry,

U-Boot has it's own project side. They include new boards in a similar
way like buildroot: Someone likes to have support for a certain board
and starts work. E.g. using a tutorial like this:
http://book.opensourceproject.org.cn/embedded/embeddedprime/opensource/0136130550/ch07lev1sec4.html

A good start is to use an existing similar board as template and start
modifying it for the new one.
I don't think that buildroot introduces new boards to u-boot itself, but
you can use br to make your own patches for a new one and perhaps send
them to the u-boot developers:
http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot
Check the boards known to u-boot here:
http://git.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=u-boot.git;a=tree;f=board;hb=HEAD