On 11/02/2010 01:31 AM, Grégoire Sutre wrote: > On 09/04/2010 02:07 AM, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote: >> Hello. It was reported to me about several issues with nested >> partitions. Please try attached patch and report back any remaining >> problems > > NetBSD and OpenBSD disklabels that are nested in an MSDOS partition are > now viewed as top-level partitions, i.e. we now have for instance: > > (hd0,netbsd5) instead of (hd0,msdos2,bsd5) > > for a partition e: in the BSD disklabel contained in (hd0,msdos2). > > This makes grub-setup fail since it detects two top-level partition > maps: msdos and netbsd. > > Previously, grub's view of the partitions closely matched the actual > nesting on the disk. I personally prefer this previous view. In > particular, if the disk had only an MBR partition table and no other > top-level partition map, then the same applied to grub's view of the > partitions. > Actually now we follow the actual nesting of partitions. Even though net-/openbsd label metadate is placed inside a partition it still describes the whole disk as is manifested by it having entries for partitions not contained inside the partition containing label metadata. E.g. (hd0,netbsd6) may be physically contained within (hd0,msdos3) but still be described inside the label present in second sector (hd0,msdos2). Place of metadata is secondary to deciding what the nesting of partitions is. Primary criteria is what this metadata describes. This is, of course, very unfortunate design but since we support NetBSD we need such hacks. It's better than being faced with the problems of kind "My XYZOS handles my partition scheme perfectly but GRUB doesn't see half of partitions." > Grégoire > > _______________________________________________ > Grub-devel mailing list > Grub-devel@gnu.org > http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/grub-devel > -- Regards Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko