From: Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@windriver.com>
To: Darren Hart <dvhart@linux.intel.com>
Cc: yocto@yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: Bugzilla Changes
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 15:13:20 -0400	[thread overview]

On 10-11-01 07:42 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
> On 11/01/2010 02:40 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:

>>> Good point. (See my reply to Mark's email)

>>> I think my lines might have run together! It was meant to be separate,
>>> and this looks like a good break down.
>>
>> This is too much separation, having over categorization
>> of the kernel defects at this point is overkill.
>
> Agree in principle.
>
>> I'd suggest three categories:
>>
>> - kernel build (which often transitions to
>> straight up build-system after triage).
>> - kernel configuration
>> - kernel runtime
>
> Let me confirm:
>
> - kernel runtime (this includes all errors, panics, BUGs, etc. from the
>     three categories I listed above - no objection).

It does. What we can also do, is split it between
'kernel' and 'BSP'. I've been triaging bugs like this
for 6 years now, and typically it is very hard for
the submitters to categorize properly. But typically
they do know if it is particular to a board (BSP) or
everywhere (kernel). The BSP would also cover the drivers
category that you had listed above .. since often, drivers
are exercised by one (or few) boards and those are the
ones that have problems.

> It's still 3 categories, but separate by type of bug instead of area of
> bug. It's still fine with me. My biggest concern was keeping the kernel
> separate, and it is in either form. I'll happily defer to Bruce with
> respect to an efficient set of kernel bug categories for an embedded
> "not-a-distribution".

Agreed. We are aligned here. We'll adjust these as we
go forward to whatever makes sense.

Bruce