From: Patrick Lai <plai@codeaurora.org>
To: alsa-devel@vger.kernel.org
Cc: linux-arm-msm@vger.kernel.org, lrg@slimlogic.co.uk,
	broonie@opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Subject: [QUERY] Download calibration data to co-processor
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 22:13:33 -0800	[thread overview]

Hi,

I am looking for ways to download audio calibration data to a
co-processor under ALSA framework. I would like to know if there is
already a precedent which handles this use case. I considered
request_firmware() approach but there are few drawbacks to this
approach.  The audio calibration data size can be substantial
as number of audio use cases grows. It also requires co-processor
perform extensive parsing of data. Furthermore, host processor and
co-processor need to establish common use case definitions so
co-processor know what chunk of calibration data to apply in certain
scenario such as device switch.

If there is no precedent, my idea is to apply calibration data through
sysfs. After introduction of ASoC multi-component architecture, PCM
stream created from dailink is registered as device. So, there is syfs
entry for each dailink. If ALSA ASoC can provide API for
drivers(platform/CPU) to register additional attributes to the PCM
device, this approach gives user-space application the ability to push
down new calibration as audio situation changes. I believe it's a viable
solution to my problem and perhaps can be useful to other systems as well.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
Patrick