* user: time jump in slave machine leads to freeze
@ 2011-01-25 15:21 gnafou
From: gnafou @ 2011-01-25 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hello

We have had several cases where  a slave machine freezes, eating all available
cpu. ( this happends randomly, say, after 3 months of correct functionning )

After reboot, looking at the syslog when the freeze occured,  the few ( ~5 )
last lines written show a date which has jumped in the future ( roughly, 15 days
ahead  ), but nothing related to the crash is logged.

our salves machines are ntp-synchronized

we run under debian/lenny
we launch the machines with the kvm command

kernel of host :  2.6.26-2-amd64
kernel of host :  2.6.26-2-686

command launched :

kvm -name svn -drive file=xxx -net tap -m 256 -net nic,macaddr=xxx  -pidfile
/var/run/kvm/xx.pid -daemonize -k fr -vnc :63006 -monitor
unix:xx_monitor,server,nowait -vnc unix:xx_vnc

If you ever have an idea  how to solve or to debug the problem ...

Thanks

Fred

* Re: user: time jump in slave machine leads to freeze
@ 2011-01-25 17:57 ` Brian Jackson
From: Brian Jackson @ 2011-01-25 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnafou; +Cc: kvm

On 1/25/2011 9:21 AM, gnafou wrote:
> Hello
>
> We have had several cases where  a slave machine freezes, eating all available
> cpu. ( this happends randomly, say, after 3 months of correct functionning )
>
> After reboot, looking at the syslog when the freeze occured,  the few ( ~5 )
> last lines written show a date which has jumped in the future ( roughly, 15 days
> ahead  ), but nothing related to the crash is logged.
>
> our salves machines are ntp-synchronized
>

> we run under debian/lenny
> we launch the machines with the kvm command
>
> kernel of host :  2.6.26-2-amd64
> kernel of host :  2.6.26-2-686

I'm pretty sure this issue has been fixed in newer versions of qemu-kvm
and the kernel. You might want to try using the versions from backports.
You are unlikely to get much support on a kernel that's 10 releases old
and iirc, the kvm that came with lenny was only a development snapshot.