From: Simeon Maxein <smaxein@googlemail.com>
To: Johannes Sixt <j6t@kdbg.org>
Cc: git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: git filter-branch can "forget" directories on case insensitive filesystems
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 00:26:58 +0100	[thread overview]

Am 25.01.2011 22:56, schrieb Johannes Sixt:
> On Dienstag, 25. Januar 2011, Simeon Maxein wrote:
>> In my opinion this is a quite serious issue, because files are lost
>> without any indication to the user. As of git 1.7.3.1 (tested on
>> Windows/NTFS with msysGit this time), the problem still exists. Please
>> give it a look. Fullquote of the problem description / steps to
>> reproduce follows.
>>> mkdir testdir
>>> echo 'abc' >testdir/testfile
>>> git add testdir
>>> git commit -m foo
>>> git rm -r testdir
>>> mkdir testDir
>>> echo 'abc' >testDir/testfile
>>> git add testDir
>>> git commit -m bar
> Please retry with current release condidate of 1.7.4; it has some
> core.ignorecase improvements w.r.t. directories. It could well be that your
> problem is fixed.
>
> -- Hannes
Thanks for the suggestion. The directory doesn't vanish anymore with
1.7.4, so a big Thank You to the developers for improving this. When
rewriting the second commit ls still prints testdir as lowercase though.
More of a nitpick, but it would still be neat to have it right.

The issue of extra files appearing during filter-branch (
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/154662 ) is
still present.

Simeon