From: Cyril Roelandt <tipecaml@gmail.com>
To: git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: GSoC 2011 : one more interested student.
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 02:38:16 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi.

I am currently studying Computer Science and Engineering. I have been
using Open Source software for quite a while now, but I have  not
contributed a lot of code to Open Source projects - except for a few
patches to Gnome.

Being a git user, I would be interested in working on this project. I
believe that taking part in the GSoC would be a good opportunity for me
to discover the guts of a version control system.

* Complete some libgit2 features
Implementing a few key features seems like a great way to understand the
way a VCS works. I would be interesting in working on the diff command
and on the network related commands (git-push, git-fetch).

* Build a minimal Git client based on libgit2
It seems to be a quite popular task :) Hacking on this small git client
would be a nice experience and would help me understanding how libgit2
works.

* Build in more external commands
I am wondering why these commands should be rewritten. You know what
they say : "if it is not broken, do not fix it" :-p Do these commands
currently have performance issues ?

I will be working in a research lab until the end of June, but I will
have more free time in July/August, that I could use to hack on git,
which means I may have less time than most US students, who can enjoy a
slightly longer summer break. Do you think it would be possible to work
one of these projects anyway ?

Best regards,
Cyril.