From: John Lumby <johnlumby@hotmail.com>
To: git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: git  --  how to revert build to as-originally-cloned?
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 18:53:01 -0400	[thread overview]

I am stuck trying to revert a private kernel build back to the state in
which I originally cloned it,
(after probably doing the wrong thing  -  as below).     Hoping someone
can advise.

Here's what I did   (helpful criticism welcome)

On machine MA in filesystem /a  on 13 May

git clone
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next-2.6.git

(This build built ok and ran ok  and is what I want back)

A few days later on machine MB on filesystem /b  -  same git clone
command but of course a slightly changed build.

Yesterday  -  I wanted to synch build a/ from b/  :
    git branch jel_r8169  /*  made a new branch --  ok */
    nfs-mounted /b on MA
    git fetch file:///a/.../net-next-2.6/.git   /*  worked  ok  *
    git merge FETCH_HEAD                        /*  worked ok and output
list of files : */
               output started with
Updating 72a8f97..1b1cb1f
Fast-forward
               then list of files
               output ended with
  create mode 100644 include/net/ping.h
  create mode 100644 net/ipv4/ping.c

I then built this build and built ok but build is broken  -
unresolved syms in some modules  -  I want to undo my merge.

I have tried all the commands I can find that claim to do this
and none of them have done it, e.g. :
   git reset --hard HEAD  /*  did nothing */
   git reset --hard ORIG_HEAD  /*  did nothing */

Not only that,  but none of the various show ,  log  ,  status commands
appear to be aware of the merge at all.    There appears to be no record
of it -
but the actual files themselves are the updated ones.  (diff with /b
compares equal)

How can I undo it?

Cheers    John Lumby