* [GIT PULL] scrub updates for 3.1
@ 2011-07-05 13:00 Arne Jansen
From: Arne Jansen @ 2011-07-05 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Mason; +Cc: Linux Btrfs

Hi Chris,

since rc-6 seems to be the last rc for 3.0 and in case you're already
preparing your pull request for 3.1, can you please pull the following
updates for scrub, based on your for-linus tree (2f7e33d432)?

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arne/btrfs-unstable-arne.git
for-chris

It just contains the readahead patch, which gives a significant
performance improvement for scrub. Currently scrub is the only
consumer.

Thanks,
Arne

Arne Jansen (7):
      btrfs: add an extra wait mode to read_extent_buffer_pages
      btrfs: add READAHEAD extent buffer flag
      btrfs: state information for readahead
      btrfs: initial readahead code and prototypes
      btrfs: hooks for readahead
      btrfs: test ioctl for readahead
      btrfs: use readahead API for scrub

 fs/btrfs/Makefile    |    3 +-
 fs/btrfs/ctree.h     |   21 ++
 fs/btrfs/disk-io.c   |   85 +++++-
 fs/btrfs/disk-io.h   |    2 +
 fs/btrfs/extent_io.c |    9 +-
 fs/btrfs/extent_io.h |    4 +
 fs/btrfs/ioctl.c     |   93 +++++-
 fs/btrfs/ioctl.h     |   16 +
 fs/btrfs/reada.c     |  949
 fs/btrfs/scrub.c     |  116 +++----
 fs/btrfs/volumes.c   |    8 +
 fs/btrfs/volumes.h   |    8 +
 create mode 100644 fs/btrfs/reada.c

* Re: [GIT PULL] scrub updates for 3.1
@ 2011-07-06  1:06 ` Li Zefan
From: Li Zefan @ 2011-07-06  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arne Jansen; +Cc: Chris Mason, Linux Btrfs

21:00, Arne Jansen worte:
> Hi Chris,
>
> since rc-6 seems to be the last rc for 3.0 and in case you're already
> preparing your pull request for 3.1, can you please pull the following
> updates for scrub, based on your for-linus tree (2f7e33d432)?
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arne/btrfs-unstable-arne.git
> for-chris
>
> It just contains the readahead patch, which gives a significant
> performance improvement for scrub. Currently scrub is the only
> consumer.
>
> Thanks,
> Arne
>
> Arne Jansen (7):
>       btrfs: add an extra wait mode to read_extent_buffer_pages
>       btrfs: add READAHEAD extent buffer flag
>       btrfs: state information for readahead
>       btrfs: initial readahead code and prototypes
>       btrfs: hooks for readahead
>       btrfs: test ioctl for readahead

Do we really want this ioctl that is merely for testing some kernel
APIs in our upstream kernel?

@ 2011-07-06  1:52   ` Chris Mason
From: Chris Mason @ 2011-07-06  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li Zefan; +Cc: Arne Jansen, Linux Btrfs

Excerpts from Li Zefan's message of 2011-07-05 21:06:02 -0400:
> 21:00, Arne Jansen worte:
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > since rc-6 seems to be the last rc for 3.0 and in case you're already
> > preparing your pull request for 3.1, can you please pull the following
> > updates for scrub, based on your for-linus tree (2f7e33d432)?
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arne/btrfs-unstable-arne.git
> > for-chris
> >
> > It just contains the readahead patch, which gives a significant
> > performance improvement for scrub. Currently scrub is the only
> > consumer.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Arne
> >
> > Arne Jansen (7):
> >       btrfs: add an extra wait mode to read_extent_buffer_pages
> >       btrfs: add READAHEAD extent buffer flag
> >       btrfs: state information for readahead
> >       btrfs: initial readahead code and prototypes
> >       btrfs: hooks for readahead
> >       btrfs: test ioctl for readahead
>
> Do we really want this ioctl that is merely for testing some kernel
> APIs in our upstream kernel?

I'd like to avoid the ioctl for now, since once it is there we're stuck
with it forever.  At least for the 3.1 pull lets keep it out please.

-chris

* Re: [GIT PULL] scrub updates for 3.1
@ 2011-07-06  6:04   ` Arne Jansen
From: Arne Jansen @ 2011-07-06  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li Zefan; +Cc: Chris Mason, Linux Btrfs

On 06.07.2011 03:06, Li Zefan wrote:
> 21:00, Arne Jansen worte:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> since rc-6 seems to be the last rc for 3.0 and in case you're already
>> preparing your pull request for 3.1, can you please pull the following
>> updates for scrub, based on your for-linus tree (2f7e33d432)?
>>
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arne/btrfs-unstable-arne.git
>> for-chris
>>
>> It just contains the readahead patch, which gives a significant
>> performance improvement for scrub. Currently scrub is the only
>> consumer.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Arne
>>
>> Arne Jansen (7):
>>       btrfs: add an extra wait mode to read_extent_buffer_pages
>>       btrfs: add READAHEAD extent buffer flag
>>       btrfs: state information for readahead
>>       btrfs: initial readahead code and prototypes
>>       btrfs: hooks for readahead
>>       btrfs: test ioctl for readahead
>
> Do we really want this ioctl that is merely for testing some kernel
> APIs in our upstream kernel?

Oh, I completely forgot about that. You're right of course. I pushed
the for-chris branch again, it now looks like this:

Arne Jansen (6):