Turns out switching to UUIDs was very simple, grub already provides the necessary utility function. :) The new patch is attached. Thanks, Axel On 07/11/2011 08:25 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote: > On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 05:55:53PM +0200, Axel Kellermann wrote: >>> Partition numbers tend to get moved around quite frequently, so this >>> would be a fragile configuration, and require manual entry. It would be >> Good point. I guess the proposed solution works well with internal HDDs, >> as they tend to always get the same device names during system >> initialization (at least I never observed different behaviour on my >> machine), but could be fragile for external drives. > > I have observed it on internal drives. If you have two controllers with > different drivers and disks on both then there is no predicting which > driver will load and initiallize first in some cases. Switching to UUIDs > made the box much more reliable to boot (it was a 50/50 chance it would > boot with the disks in the "right" order and work). > >>> better to automatically notice that the partition is a Win7 system >> I agree. But I guess on my machine it is not really grubs fault that the >> Win7 system partition is marked as bootable. I only have one of those >> Win7 licenses that come with recovery media, so I'm not able to do a >> manual, clean install and it seems the recovery installation always >> makes the system partition bootable. I'm probably not the only one >> experiencing this kind of faulty setup... >> >>> partition, and ignore it. If you must explicitly exclude manually >>> chosen partitions, they should be specified by UUID. >> I guess we could work with UUIDs instead of partition names, but it also >> turns this little patch into something a bit more complicated. I'd be >> happy to look into it, but we should first decide if we really cover a >> use-case here or if the whole thing isn't worth the effort.