From: Jeff.Haran@citrix.com (Jeff Haran)
To: kernelnewbies@lists.kernelnewbies.org
Subject: Learning things
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 17:14:09 +0000	[thread overview]

-----Original Message-----
From: kernelnewbies-bounces@kernelnewbies.org [mailto:kernelnewbies-bounces at kernelnewbies.org] On Behalf Of Joris Bolsens
Sent: Monday, April 06, 2015 10:07 AM
To: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Cc: kernelnewbies at kernelnewbies.org
Subject: Re: Learning things

In that case do you have any general recommendations? Or is there some sort of project that covers most of the basics? I learn best by doing and most stuff I found online goes pretty slow and is a bit boring :/

Thanks a ton

On 04/06/2015 10:02 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Apr 2015 10:43:46 -0700, Joris Bolsens said:
>
>> I'm working on trying to teach myself C and was wondering if you had
>> any kernel specific recommendations.
>
> Don't bother trying until you have an actual good working knowledge of
> C.
>
> Work in userspace where your screw-ups just take the process out, not
> the entire system, until stuff like a SIGSEGV becomes a rarity.
> *THEN* start considering kernel work.

A google search on "open source projects written in c" yielded this:

http://www.quora.com/What-are-open-source-projects-that-are-written-in-C-C++-are-easy-to-contribute-to

Jeff Haran