On 09/06/11 17:49, Dan Magenheimer wrote: >> From: Rafal Wojtczuk [mailto:rafal@invisiblethingslab.com] >> Sent: Monday, September 05, 2011 3:20 AM >> To: xen-devel@lists.xensource.com >> Subject: [Xen-devel] dom0 is stalled until a keypress >> >> Hello, >> The following bizarre behaviour was observed on xen4.1+suse dom0 2.6.38, on >> an old Core Duo laptop; maybe someone can hint what is wrong. >> Dom0 boot stalls after an init.d script prints "Starting udev". Then nothing >> seems to happen. I need to press any key to observe progress - I need to do >> it tens of times for the boot to finish. After X starts fine, then there is >> no need for keypressing anymore. >> A particularly disturbing fact is that qrexec_daemon parent, that basically >> does >> for (;;) { sleep(1); fprintf(stderr, "."); } >> does not print dots, until a keypress arrives. So something is very wrong >> with timers. >> Somehow similarly, pm-suspend sometimes hangs at some stage - after detaching >> power cord, machine enters S3 immediately. >> This is vaguely similar to the issue described in >> https://lkml.org/lkml/2008/9/14/122 >> but this time, "nohz=off" does not help. >> >> "cpufreq=dom0-kernel" cures the symptoms; but it is not a sideeffectless >> solution. Any idea what is going on or how to debug it ? > > ISTR seeing this on a Core(2?)Duo laptop and I think the > workaround was setting max_cstate=0 (as Xen boot parameter). > But what was the actual problem? Setting max_cstate is probably even worse for power management than setting cpufreq=dom-kernel, isn't it? Thanks, joanna.