* [Qemu-devel] stale savannah git repo (was: Re: KVM call agenda for April 05)
@ 2011-06-09 10:14 Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2011-06-09 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Graf; +Cc: qemu-devel, Brad Hards, Stefan Hajnoczi

On 5 April 2011 09:29, Alexander Graf <agraf@suse.de> wrote:
> On 05.04.2011, at 08:01, Brad Hards wrote:
>> It isn't even easy to figure out what trees there are (apart from the
>> main one) and a google search for "qemu git" produces some misleading
>> links to savannah and places other than git://git.qemu.org/qemu.git.

> I'd also like to see the savannah one just deactivated. Last time I
> checked it wasn't synced, so you simply get an old snapshot which is
> the worst case scenario for everyone.

Ping? Is it possible to either get the savannah git tree to be
automatically mirrored from git.qemu.org, or to remove it?

(This came up on IRC again today.)

-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] stale savannah git repo (was: Re: KVM call agenda for April 05)
@ 2011-06-14 13:24 ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2011-06-14 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, Alexander Graf, Brad Hards, qemu-devel

On 06/09/2011 05:14 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 5 April 2011 09:29, Alexander Graf<agraf@suse.de>  wrote:
>> On 05.04.2011, at 08:01, Brad Hards wrote:
>>> It isn't even easy to figure out what trees there are (apart from the
>>> main one) and a google search for "qemu git" produces some misleading
>>> links to savannah and places other than git://git.qemu.org/qemu.git.
>
>> I'd also like to see the savannah one just deactivated. Last time I
>> checked it wasn't synced, so you simply get an old snapshot which is
>> the worst case scenario for everyone.
>
> Ping? Is it possible to either get the savannah git tree to be
> automatically mirrored from git.qemu.org, or to remove it?
>
> (This came up on IRC again today.)

We're working on migrating the qemu.org server to something more
reliable that can also provide mailing list hosting.  We'll announce a
migration date by EOW.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

@ 2011-09-22 14:20   ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2011-09-22 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, Alexander Graf, Brad Hards, qemu-devel

On 14 June 2011 14:24, Anthony Liguori <anthony@codemonkey.ws> wrote:
> On 06/09/2011 05:14 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> Ping? Is it possible to either get the savannah git tree to be
>> automatically mirrored from git.qemu.org, or to remove it?
>>
>> (This came up on IRC again today.)
>
> We're working on migrating the qemu.org server to something more reliable
> that can also provide mailing list hosting.  We'll announce a migration date
> by EOW.

Hup! Somebody here was confused by the now-ancient-but-not-deleted
savannah git repo again today. Do we have a timescale for getting
rid of it, reinstating the qemu.org web interface to git, etc ?

Thanks

@ 2011-09-22 14:34     ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2011-09-22 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell; +Cc: qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi, Brad Hards, Alexander Graf

On 09/22/2011 09:20 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 14 June 2011 14:24, Anthony Liguori<anthony@codemonkey.ws>  wrote:
>> On 06/09/2011 05:14 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
>>> Ping? Is it possible to either get the savannah git tree to be
>>> automatically mirrored from git.qemu.org, or to remove it?
>>>
>>> (This came up on IRC again today.)
>>
>> We're working on migrating the qemu.org server to something more reliable
>> that can also provide mailing list hosting.  We'll announce a migration date
>> by EOW.
>
> Hup! Somebody here was confused by the now-ancient-but-not-deleted
> savannah git repo again today. Do we have a timescale for getting
> rid of it, reinstating the qemu.org web interface to git, etc ?

OSUOSL had a security breach as part of the kernel.org intrusion so all plans to
move are on hold until that whole mess gets straightened out.

The reason I don't have an auto mirror set up with Savannah is that I don't want
to publish my private key on a remote server (and the kernel.org break in is a
good example of why no one should :-)).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

@ 2011-09-22 14:37       ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2011-09-22 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi, Brad Hards, Alexander Graf

On 22 September 2011 15:34, Anthony Liguori <anthony@codemonkey.ws> wrote:
> On 09/22/2011 09:20 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> Hup! Somebody here was confused by the now-ancient-but-not-deleted
>> savannah git repo again today. Do we have a timescale for getting
>> rid of it, reinstating the qemu.org web interface to git, etc ?
>
> OSUOSL had a security breach as part of the kernel.org intrusion so all
> plans to move are on hold until that whole mess gets straightened out.

Ah :-(

> The reason I don't have an auto mirror set up with Savannah is that I don't
> want to publish my private key on a remote server (and the kernel.org break
> in is a good example of why no one should :-)).

If we're not going to have an updated mirror I think we should just
delete the savannah repo -- an apparently authoritative but actually
stale repo is worse than useless.

@ 2011-09-22 14:55       ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2011-09-22 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Alexander Graf, qemu-devel, Brad Hards, Stefan Hajnoczi

On 2011-09-22 16:34, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 09/22/2011 09:20 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:

>>> We're working on migrating the qemu.org server to something more
>>> reliable
>>> that can also provide mailing list hosting.  We'll announce a
>>> migration date
>>> by EOW.
>>
>> Hup! Somebody here was confused by the now-ancient-but-not-deleted
>> savannah git repo again today. Do we have a timescale for getting
>> rid of it, reinstating the qemu.org web interface to git, etc ?
>
> OSUOSL had a security breach as part of the kernel.org intrusion so all
> plans to move are on hold until that whole mess gets straightened out.
>
> The reason I don't have an auto mirror set up with Savannah is that I
> don't want to publish my private key on a remote server (and the
> kernel.org break in is a good example of why no one should :-)).

Does Savannah support user cronjobs? Then you could auto-pull qemu.org's
public tree once in a while.

Jan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] stale savannah git repo (was: Re: KVM call agenda for April 05)
@ 2011-09-22 15:04         ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2011-09-22 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Stefan Hajnoczi, Alexander Graf, Brad Hards, qemu-devel

On 09/22/2011 09:55 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2011-09-22 16:34, Anthony Liguori wrote:

>>> Hup! Somebody here was confused by the now-ancient-but-not-deleted
>>> savannah git repo again today. Do we have a timescale for getting
>>> rid of it, reinstating the qemu.org web interface to git, etc ?
>>
>> OSUOSL had a security breach as part of the kernel.org intrusion so all
>> plans to move are on hold until that whole mess gets straightened out.
>>
>> The reason I don't have an auto mirror set up with Savannah is that I
>> don't want to publish my private key on a remote server (and the
>> kernel.org break in is a good example of why no one should :-)).
>
> Does Savannah support user cronjobs? Then you could auto-pull qemu.org's
> public tree once in a while.

Not as far as I can tell.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

@ 2011-09-22 18:27           ` Stefan Weil
From: Stefan Weil @ 2011-09-22 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Stefan Hajnoczi, Brad Hards, Jan Kiszka,
	qemu-devel, Alexander Graf

Am 22.09.2011 17:04, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
> On 09/22/2011 09:55 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>>
>> Does Savannah support user cronjobs? Then you could auto-pull qemu.org's
>> public tree once in a while.
>
> Not as far as I can tell.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony Liguori

Maybe this works:

* Get login account for savannah:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/README.accounts.html

* Upload your public ssh key to savannah.

* Run a cron job on qemu.org:
    ssh to savannah or fencepost.gnu.org and update the git repo.

If this works, it would be a better solution than removing the repo.
I don't have project access to a savannah project, otherwise I
could try it myself.

Regards,

Stefan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] stale savannah git repo
@ 2011-09-23 11:53             ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2011-09-23 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Weil
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Stefan Hajnoczi, Brad Hards, Jan Kiszka,
	qemu-devel, Alexander Graf

Stefan Weil <weil@mail.berlios.de> writes:

> Maybe this works:
>
> * Get login account for savannah:
>    http://www.gnu.org/software/README.accounts.html
>
> * Upload your public ssh key to savannah.
>
> * Run a cron job on qemu.org:
>    ssh to savannah or fencepost.gnu.org and update the git repo.

You don't need a fencepost account for that, just commit access to the
qemu repo at savannah.

(In any case the private ssh key needs to be accessible to the cron
job.)

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: [Qemu-devel] stale savannah git repo
@ 2011-09-23 16:09               ` Stefan Weil
From: Stefan Weil @ 2011-09-23 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Stefan Hajnoczi, Brad Hards, Jan Kiszka,
	qemu-devel, Alexander Graf

Am 23.09.2011 13:53, schrieb Andreas Schwab:
> Stefan Weil<weil@mail.berlios.de>  writes:
>
>> Maybe this works:
>>
>> * Get login account for savannah:
>>     http://www.gnu.org/software/README.accounts.html
>>
>> * Upload your public ssh key to savannah.
>>
>> * Run a cron job on qemu.org:
>>     ssh to savannah or fencepost.gnu.org and update the git repo.
> You don't need a fencepost account for that, just commit access to the
> qemu repo at savannah.
>
> (In any case the private ssh key needs to be accessible to the cron
> job.)
>
> Andreas.

... it can be any private key, so it's possible to create an
account "savannah" on qemu.org (without login access)
which runs the cron job.