* [ath9k-devel] Anyone know a laptop that supports an AR9380 NIC?
@ 2012-03-28 17:55 Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2012-03-28 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

It seems there are some with the older chipsets, but we haven't
found any with newer 3x3 ones?

And cramming a random wifi NIC into a random laptop appears
near futile since the BIOS locks them out...

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>

* [ath9k-devel] Anyone know a laptop that supports an AR9380 NIC?
@ 2012-03-28 19:00 ` Daniel Halperin
From: Daniel Halperin @ 2012-03-28 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Anything from Dell has worked for me. In particular, I've used the Inspiron
1525.

Dan

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>wrote:

> It seems there are some with the older chipsets, but we haven't
> found any with newer 3x3 ones?
>
> And cramming a random wifi NIC into a random laptop appears
> near futile since the BIOS locks them out...
>
> Thanks,
> Ben
>
> --
> Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [ath9k-devel] Anyone know a laptop that supports an AR9380 NIC?
@ 2012-03-29  4:46   ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2012-03-29  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi Daniel,

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Daniel Halperin
<dhalperi@cs.washington.edu> wrote:
> Anything from Dell has worked for me. In particular, I've used the Inspiron
> 1525.

so replacing the intel's card with AR9380 worked fine ? in case i buy
a dell laptop in future i can use
our own card :)

> Dan
>

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> It seems there are some with the older chipsets, but we haven't
>> found any with newer 3x3 ones?
>>
>> And cramming a random wifi NIC into a random laptop appears
>> near futile since the BIOS locks them out...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ben
>>
>> --
>> Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
>> Candela Technologies Inc ?http://www.candelatech.com

thanks,
shafi

* [ath9k-devel] Anyone know a laptop that supports an AR9380 NIC?
@ 2012-03-29  4:54     ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2012-03-29  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On 03/28/2012 09:46 PM, Mohammed Shafi wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Daniel Halperin
> <dhalperi@cs.washington.edu>  wrote:
>> Anything from Dell has worked for me. In particular, I've used the Inspiron
>> 1525.
>
> so replacing the intel's card with AR9380 worked fine ? in case i buy
> a dell laptop in future i can use
> our own card :)

If you get a new one and it works, please let me know.  Seems the Inspiron 1525 are
a bit dated, and I'm suspicious that newer laptops may have BIOS restrictions.

There are modified BIOSs out there though, and they appear to work at removing
the 'whitelist' restrictions.  We got a WPEA-127N to work in an X220i Lenovo,
but had to cram it in the 1/2 height slot (and tape it into place).  It was
not recognized in the full height slot...so perhaps some more BIOS hacking is
needed yet...

Supposedly, there will be 1/2 height AR9380 NICs soon...so maybe that will work
with the existing BIOS mods...

Thanks,
Ben

@ 2012-03-29  5:50       ` Daniel Halperin
From: Daniel Halperin @ 2012-03-29  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 9:54 PM, Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> wrote:

> On 03/28/2012 09:46 PM, Mohammed Shafi wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Daniel Halperin
>> <dhalperi@cs.washington.edu>  wrote:
>>
>>> Anything from Dell has worked for me. In particular, I've used the
>>> Inspiron
>>> 1525.
>>>

>> so replacing the intel's card with AR9380 worked fine ? in case i buy
>> a dell laptop in future i can use
>> our own card :)

Yes, I put an AR9380 in the Inspiron 1525 (along side an Intel 5300, not
replacing it ;) That one is nice b/c it has 3 mini-PCIE slots.

If you get a new one and it works, please let me know.  Seems the Inspiron
> 1525 are
> a bit dated, and I'm suspicious that newer laptops may have BIOS
> restrictions.

Note that several of Dell's laptops allow non-Intel Wi-Fi devices. In fact,
one of their Alienware models comes with a Killer N1103 which, I thought,
was AR9380 based... (http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m18x/fs)

There are modified BIOSs out there though, and they appear to work at
> removing
> the 'whitelist' restrictions.  We got a WPEA-127N to work in an X220i
> Lenovo,
> but had to cram it in the 1/2 height slot (and tape it into place).  It was
> not recognized in the full height slot...so perhaps some more BIOS hacking
> is
> needed yet...

You might also find some adapters useful. See, for instance,
http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/pe-mini-flex-hf--base--p-11896.html

Dan

@ 2012-03-29  5:56 ` Peter Stuge
From: Peter Stuge @ 2012-03-29  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Ben Greear wrote:
> It seems there are some with the older chipsets, but we haven't
> found any with newer 3x3 ones?
>
> And cramming a random wifi NIC into a random laptop appears
> near futile since the BIOS locks them out...

coreboot works great on any ThinkPad X60 and is obviously free of
arbitrary limits on PCI devices. Can get one off eBay pretty easily
starting at $120.

Let me know if you'd like some help with the upgrade from Lenovo
BIOS.

//Peter

* [ath9k-devel] Anyone know a laptop that supports an AR9380 NIC?
@ 2012-03-29  5:57       ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2012-03-29  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hello Ben,

we had got an acer laptop where we put AR9382 card, while previously i
had AR9380 i suppose.

it is ASPIRE 4730Z