* Checkpatch warnings with pr_fmt()
@ 2012-04-12  7:29 Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2012-04-12  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Perches; +Cc: linux-wireless

Hi Joe,

due to checkpatch warnings in ath6kl, from a recent pr_fmt() addition, I
had to update checkpatch and now I get lots of useless warnings like this:

drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath6kl/common.h:28: CHECK: Don't begin block
comments with only a /* line, use /* comment...
drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath6kl/bmi.h:233: CHECK: No space is necessary
after a cast

IMHO they are wrong, at least the style I have tried to enforce in
ath6kl is totally opposite (I have "/*\n" on multiline comments and a
space after a cast). And at least CodingStyle seems to recommend my
style for the multiline comments.

Would you consider removing these two warnings? Or maybe add a new check
level so that I can easily disable them?

As I get a lot of patches from people not familiar with the Linux coding
style checkpatch is a valuable tool for me, I cannot spot all the style
issues by just reviewing the patches. But now checkpatch is useless for
me as the real warnings get buried within the noise.

Kalle

* Re: Checkpatch warnings with pr_fmt()
@ 2012-04-12  7:32 ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2012-04-12  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Perches; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 04/12/2012 10:29 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> due to checkpatch warnings in ath6kl, from a recent pr_fmt() addition, I
> had to update checkpatch and now I get lots of useless warnings like this:
>
> drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath6kl/common.h:28: CHECK: Don't begin block
> comments with only a /* line, use /* comment...
> drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath6kl/bmi.h:233: CHECK: No space is necessary
> after a cast
>
> IMHO they are wrong, at least the style I have tried to enforce in
> ath6kl is totally opposite (I have "/*\n" on multiline comments and a
> space after a cast). And at least CodingStyle seems to recommend my
> style for the multiline comments.
>
> Would you consider removing these two warnings? Or maybe add a new check
> level so that I can easily disable them?
>
> As I get a lot of patches from people not familiar with the Linux coding
> style checkpatch is a valuable tool for me, I cannot spot all the style
> issues by just reviewing the patches. But now checkpatch is useless for
> me as the real warnings get buried within the noise.

Forgot to mention that for now I just reverted commit aad4f614983
("checkpatch: add --strict tests for braces, comments and casts") and
checkpatch is usable again. But I hope we find a proper solution for this.

@ 2012-04-16 19:18 ` Joe Perches
From: Joe Perches @ 2012-04-16 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 10:29 +0300, Kalle Valo wrote:
> due to checkpatch warnings in ath6kl, from a recent pr_fmt() addition, I
> had to update checkpatch and now I get lots of useless warnings like this:
>
> drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath6kl/common.h:28: CHECK: Don't begin block
> comments with only a /* line, use /* comment...
> drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath6kl/bmi.h:233: CHECK: No space is necessary
> after a cast
>
> IMHO they are wrong, at least the style I have tried to enforce in
> ath6kl is totally opposite (I have "/*\n" on multiline comments and a
> space after a cast). And at least CodingStyle seems to recommend my
> style for the multiline comments.

It's the style David Miller prefers for drivers/net.
I don't much care one way or another.

> Would you consider removing these two warnings? Or maybe add a new check
> level so that I can easily disable them?

./scripts/checkpatch.pl --ignore=BLOCK_COMMENT_STYLE <foo>