* XFS restored to lost and found
@ 2012-04-20  5:30 Nick Hollingsworth
From: Nick Hollingsworth @ 2012-04-20  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

Hi all,

So I've managed to corrupt an XFS files system running on software RAID.
How exactly I'm not sure....it may have been when using CentOS rescue
when trying to get the system to boot.

Using xfs_repair with various options I've managed to get the FS to a
state where it'll mount but there are no directories only inode numbers
in the lost and found directory.

Is there any way to remap these back to directories? Any ideas how I may
have gotten into this mess?

Thanks.

Nick

* Re: XFS restored to lost and found
@ 2012-04-20  8:21 ` Dave Chinner
       [not found]   ` <4F919A63.7080101@neulion.com>
From: Dave Chinner @ 2012-04-20  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Hollingsworth; +Cc: xfs

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:30:07PM -0700, Nick Hollingsworth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So I've managed to corrupt an XFS files system running on software
> RAID. How exactly I'm not sure....it may have been when using CentOS
> rescue when trying to get the system to boot.
>
> Using xfs_repair with various options I've managed to get the FS to
> a state where it'll mount but there are no directories only inode
> numbers in the lost and found directory.

Sounds like the root directory got corrupted/overwritten by
something and so the entire directory heirarchy got moved into
lost+found.  The inode numbers are used because the names are held
in the directory blocks and they couldn't be found.

> Is there any way to remap these back to directories?

You'll need to examine the contents of every directory and file in
lost+found to work out where they cames from. if you are lucky,
it'll only be the root directory entries that are in lost_found and
the rest of the directories heirarchy will still be intact....

> Any ideas how I may have gotten into this mess?

No. It's too late to try an diagnose now, too.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

@ 2012-04-21  0:32     ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2012-04-21  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Hollingsworth; +Cc: xfs

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 10:18:27AM -0700, Nick Hollingsworth wrote:

> On 20/04/2012 01:21, Dave Chinner wrote:
> >On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:30:07PM -0700, Nick Hollingsworth wrote:
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>So I've managed to corrupt an XFS files system running on software
> >>RAID. How exactly I'm not sure....it may have been when using CentOS
> >>rescue when trying to get the system to boot.
> >>
> >>Using xfs_repair with various options I've managed to get the FS to
> >>a state where it'll mount but there are no directories only inode
> >>numbers in the lost and found directory.
> >Sounds like the root directory got corrupted/overwritten by
> >something and so the entire directory heirarchy got moved into
> >lost+found.  The inode numbers are used because the names are held
> >in the directory blocks and they couldn't be found.
> >
> >>Is there any way to remap these back to directories?
> >You'll need to examine the contents of every directory and file in
> >lost+found to work out where they cames from. if you are lucky,
> >it'll only be the root directory entries that are in lost_found and
> >the rest of the directories heirarchy will still be intact....
>
> I examined a few of the directories and could find some intact sub
> directories & files. Is this now a matter of manually recreating the
> original directories and moving lost+found pieces back into it as
> best I can or is there a more sophisticated way to put it back
> together?

Yes, a manual process, unfortunately. There are recovery tools out
there that can help identify types of files (e.g. images, videos,
etc) and reconstruct file names based on information within the
specific format. Google will help you find them....

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner