On 11.05.2012 15:39, Jeff Moyer wrote: > "Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko" writes: > >> Hello, all. In GRUB we have tools to discover various parameters as to >> how GRUB would see the disks on boot and for this we run the same code >> as we have in boot time in userspace. So most natural for us would be >> accessing whole disks like sda but unfortunately its cache isn't kept >> synchronous with partitions (e.g. sda1), so if FS driver writes >> something to sda1 it won't be visible through sda until pages are >> dropped. Right now in Linux-specific code we try to find which partition >> of sda starts at given sector (e.g. 2048) by trying all partition Linux >> sees in order to read from sda1 rather than sda. The code is ugly and >> sometimes create issues. So my questions are: >> 1) Do we have to issue some ioctl to reload those caches? > You can issue the BLKFLSBUF ioctl. > >> 2) Is it considered a bug and should I plunge forward, fix it and send a >> patch? > This is debatable. See this thread: > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1241227/focus=1244202 Thank you, it's all clear to me now. I'll make a patch based on this information and ask the affected user to test it. > Cheers, > Jeff > -- Regards Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko