From: Mike Dunn <mikedunn@newsguy.com>
To: dedekind1@gmail.com
Cc: linux-mtd@lists.infradead.org,
	Shmulik Ladkani <shmulik.ladkani@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Regarding latest EUCLEAN/bitflip_threshold patchset
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 12:28:18 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi Shmulik, still no joy.  Pasting from the archives again...

> No idea why this happens, others seem to get my posts...

Clearly.  Otherwise you'd be talking to yourself a lot :)

> I see.
> So the current bitflip_threshold scheme is probably not applicable to
> 'nand_do_read_oob' - because the strength over the OOB would probably
> differ from the page's ECC strength.

Correct.  So if for example the diskonchip docg4 implements hamming in oob, and
there are two bitflips, that's uncorrectible.  But two bitflips would not be
considered indicative of a block going bad for a full page read.

> Well, I was also surprised to see that 'nand_do_read_oob' may return
> EUCLEAN or EBADMSG at all.

Yeah, I chose to just gloss over that.

> Digging further, I found out it was a relatively recent addition:
> [041e4575 mtd: nand: handle ECC errors in OOB] by Brian Norris.

Hmmm...

Thanks,
Mike