From: John Steele Scott <toojays@toojays.net>
To: Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com>
Cc: lttng-dev@lists.lttng.org
Subject: Re: urcu commit a767fd requires autoconf >= 2.64.
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 22:41:57 +0930	[thread overview]

On 13/06/12 17:40, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> * John Steele Scott (toojays@toojays.net) wrote:
>> http://lists.lttng.org/pipermail/lttng-dev/2012-May/017927.html
>>
>> I tried to build the latest urcu (git master e51500) on a Centos 6.2 box, and got:
>>
>> jscott@dxi0-62:~/src/userspace-rcu$ make -j4
>> CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && /bin/sh /users/jscott/src/userspace-rcu/config/missing --run aclocal-1.11 -I config
>> CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && /bin/sh /users/jscott/src/userspace-rcu/config/missing --run autoconf
>>  cd . && /bin/sh /users/jscott/src/userspace-rcu/config/missing --run automake-1.11 --foreign
>> configure:4010: error: possibly undefined macro: m4_ifnblank
>>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>>       See the Autoconf documentation.
>> make: *** [configure] Error 1
>> make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>>
>> Some digging showed that the macro m4_ifnblank requires autoconf 2.64. Centos 6.2 has autoconf 2.63. :(
>>
>> I just worked around it by reverting commit a767fd locally, then I can build fine.
> Thanks for pointing this out! Can you try the following patch and let me
> know if it fixes your issue ?

Mathieu,

Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately, with that patch, ./configure fails like:

checking for thread local storage (TLS) class... __thread
./configure: line 4029: syntax error near unexpected token `fi'
./configure: line 4029: `fi'

The section of configure which it's complaining about looks like:

 if test "$ac_cv_tls" != "none"; then

     cat >>confdefs.h <<_ACEOF
#define TLS $ac_cv_tls
_ACEOF

     cat >>confdefs.h <<_ACEOF
#define CONFIG_RCU_TLS $ac_cv_tls
_ACEOF

 else

 fi

It seems it doesn't like the empty else..fi clause. If I put a command in there ("true", "echo", whatever), configure completes and I can build successfully.

cheers,

John