* cpuidle future and improvements
@ 2012-06-18  8:40 ` Daniel Lezcano
From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-06-18  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kevin Hilman, Peter De Schrijver, Amit Kucheria, linux-next,
	Colin Cross, Andrew Morton, Linus Torvalds, Rob Lee

Dear all,

A few weeks ago, Peter De Schrijver proposed a patch [1] to allow per
cpu latencies. We had a discussion about this patchset because it
reverse the modifications Deepthi did some months ago [2] and we may
want to provide a different implementation.

The Linaro Connect [3] event bring us the opportunity to meet people
involved in the power management and the cpuidle area for different SoC.

With the Tegra3 and big.LITTLE architecture, making per cpu latencies
for cpuidle is vital.

Also, the SoC vendors would like to have the ability to tune their cpu
latencies through the device tree.

We agreed in the following steps:

1. factor out / cleanup the cpuidle code as much as possible
2. better sharing of code amongst SoC idle drivers by moving common bits
to core code
3. make the cpuidle_state structure contain only data
4. add a API to register latencies per cpu

These four steps impacts all the architecture. I began the factor out
code / cleanup [4] and that has been accepted upstream and I proposed
some modifications [5] but I had a very few answers.

The patch review are very slow and done at the last minute at the merge
window and that makes code upstreaming very difficult. It is not a
reproach, it is just how it is and I would like to propose a solution
for that.

I propose to host a cpuidle-next tree where all these modifications will
be and where people can send patches against, preventing last minutes
conflicts and perhaps Lenb will agree to pull from this tree. In the
meantime, the tree will be part of the linux-next, the patches will be
more widely tested and could be fixed earlier.

Thanks
-- Daniel

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/491257/
[2] http://lwn.net/Articles/464808/
[3] http://summit.linaro.org/
[4]
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-omap@vger.kernel.org/msg67033.html,
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-pm/msg27330.html,
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.omap/76311,
http://www.digipedia.pl/usenet/thread/18885/11795/

[5] https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/6/8/375

--
 <http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs

Follow Linaro:  <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro> Facebook |
<http://twitter.com/#!/linaroorg> Twitter |
<http://www.linaro.org/linaro-blog/> Blog

From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-06-18  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Amit Kucheria, Deepthi Dharwar, lenb, Andrew Morton,
	Linus Torvalds, Colin Cross, Peter De Schrijver, Rob Lee, rjw,
	Kevin Hilman, linux-next

* Re: cpuidle future and improvements
  (?)
@ 2012-06-18 11:54 ` Deepthi Dharwar
From: Deepthi Dharwar @ 2012-06-18 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Amit Kucheria, lenb, Andrew Morton,

On 06/18/2012 02:10 PM, Daniel Lezcano wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> A few weeks ago, Peter De Schrijver proposed a patch [1] to allow per
> cpu latencies. We had a discussion about this patchset because it
> reverse the modifications Deepthi did some months ago [2] and we may
> want to provide a different implementation.
>
> The Linaro Connect [3] event bring us the opportunity to meet people
> involved in the power management and the cpuidle area for different SoC.
>
> With the Tegra3 and big.LITTLE architecture, making per cpu latencies
> for cpuidle is vital.
>
> Also, the SoC vendors would like to have the ability to tune their cpu
> latencies through the device tree.
>
> We agreed in the following steps:
>
> 1. factor out / cleanup the cpuidle code as much as possible
> 2. better sharing of code amongst SoC idle drivers by moving common bits
> to core code
> 3. make the cpuidle_state structure contain only data
> 4. add a API to register latencies per cpu

On huge systems especially  servers, doing a cpuidle registration on a
per-cpu basis creates a big overhead.
So global registration was introduced in the first place.

Why not have it as a configurable option or so ?
Architectures having uniform cpuidle state parameters can continue to
use global registration, else have an api to register latencies per cpu
as proposed. We can definitely work to see the best way to implement it.

> These four steps impacts all the architecture. I began the factor out
> code / cleanup [4] and that has been accepted upstream and I proposed
> some modifications [5] but I had a very few answers.
>
> The patch review are very slow and done at the last minute at the merge
> window and that makes code upstreaming very difficult. It is not a
> reproach, it is just how it is and I would like to propose a solution
> for that.
>
> I propose to host a cpuidle-next tree where all these modifications will
> be and where people can send patches against, preventing last minutes
> conflicts and perhaps Lenb will agree to pull from this tree. In the
> meantime, the tree will be part of the linux-next, the patches will be
> more widely tested and could be fixed earlier.
>
> Thanks
> -- Daniel
>
> [1] http://lwn.net/Articles/491257/
> [2] http://lwn.net/Articles/464808/
> [3] http://summit.linaro.org/
> [4]
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-omap@vger.kernel.org/msg67033.html,
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-pm/msg27330.html,
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.omap/76311,
> http://www.digipedia.pl/usenet/thread/18885/11795/
>
> [5] https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/6/8/375

Cheers,
Deepthi

* Re: cpuidle future and improvements
@ 2012-06-18 12:35     ` Daniel Lezcano
From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-06-18 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepthi Dharwar
  Cc: linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,

On 06/18/2012 01:54 PM, Deepthi Dharwar wrote:
> On 06/18/2012 02:10 PM, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>

>> Dear all,
>>
>> A few weeks ago, Peter De Schrijver proposed a patch [1] to allow per
>> cpu latencies. We had a discussion about this patchset because it
>> reverse the modifications Deepthi did some months ago [2] and we may
>> want to provide a different implementation.
>>
>> The Linaro Connect [3] event bring us the opportunity to meet people
>> involved in the power management and the cpuidle area for different SoC.
>>
>> With the Tegra3 and big.LITTLE architecture, making per cpu latencies
>> for cpuidle is vital.
>>
>> Also, the SoC vendors would like to have the ability to tune their cpu
>> latencies through the device tree.
>>
>> We agreed in the following steps:
>>
>> 1. factor out / cleanup the cpuidle code as much as possible
>> 2. better sharing of code amongst SoC idle drivers by moving common bits
>> to core code
>> 3. make the cpuidle_state structure contain only data
>> 4. add a API to register latencies per cpu
>
> On huge systems especially  servers, doing a cpuidle registration on a
> per-cpu basis creates a big overhead.
> So global registration was introduced in the first place.
>
> Why not have it as a configurable option or so ?
> Architectures having uniform cpuidle state parameters can continue to
> use global registration, else have an api to register latencies per cpu
> as proposed. We can definitely work to see the best way to implement it.

Absolutely, this is one reason I think adding a function:

cpuidle_register_latencies(int cpu, struct cpuidle_latencies);

makes sense if it is used only for cpus with different latencies.
The other architecture will be kept untouched.

IMHO, before adding more functionalities to cpuidle, we should cleanup
and consolidate the code. For example, there is a dependency between
acpi_idle and intel_idle which can be resolved with the notifiers, or
there is intel specific code in cpuidle.c and cpuidle.h, cpu_relax is
also introduced to cpuidle which is related to x86 not the cpuidle core,
etc ...

Cleanup the code will help to move the different bits from the arch
specific code to the core code and reduce the impact of the core's
modifications. That should let a common pattern to emerge and will
facilitate the modifications in the future (per cpu latencies is one of
them).

That will be a lot of changes and this is why I proposed to put in place
a cpuidle-next tree in order to consolidate all the cpuidle
modifications people is willing to see upstream and provide better testing.

From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-06-18 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepthi Dharwar
  Cc: linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,

--

@ 2012-06-18 12:53       ` Peter De Schrijver
From: Peter De Schrijver @ 2012-06-18 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: Deepthi Dharwar, linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Amit Kucheria, lenb, Andrew Morton,
	Linus Torvalds, Colin Cross, Rob Lee, rjw, Kevin Hilman,
	linux-next

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 02:35:42PM +0200, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> On 06/18/2012 01:54 PM, Deepthi Dharwar wrote:
> > On 06/18/2012 02:10 PM, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> >

> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> A few weeks ago, Peter De Schrijver proposed a patch [1] to allow per
> >> cpu latencies. We had a discussion about this patchset because it
> >> reverse the modifications Deepthi did some months ago [2] and we may
> >> want to provide a different implementation.
> >>
> >> The Linaro Connect [3] event bring us the opportunity to meet people
> >> involved in the power management and the cpuidle area for different SoC.
> >>
> >> With the Tegra3 and big.LITTLE architecture, making per cpu latencies
> >> for cpuidle is vital.
> >>
> >> Also, the SoC vendors would like to have the ability to tune their cpu
> >> latencies through the device tree.
> >>
> >> We agreed in the following steps:
> >>
> >> 1. factor out / cleanup the cpuidle code as much as possible
> >> 2. better sharing of code amongst SoC idle drivers by moving common bits
> >> to core code
> >> 3. make the cpuidle_state structure contain only data
> >> 4. add a API to register latencies per cpu
> >
> > On huge systems especially  servers, doing a cpuidle registration on a
> > per-cpu basis creates a big overhead.
> > So global registration was introduced in the first place.
> >
> > Why not have it as a configurable option or so ?
> > Architectures having uniform cpuidle state parameters can continue to
> > use global registration, else have an api to register latencies per cpu
> > as proposed. We can definitely work to see the best way to implement it.
>
> Absolutely, this is one reason I think adding a function:
>
> cpuidle_register_latencies(int cpu, struct cpuidle_latencies);
>
> makes sense if it is used only for cpus with different latencies.
> The other architecture will be kept untouched.
>
> IMHO, before adding more functionalities to cpuidle, we should cleanup
> and consolidate the code. For example, there is a dependency between
> acpi_idle and intel_idle which can be resolved with the notifiers, or
> there is intel specific code in cpuidle.c and cpuidle.h, cpu_relax is
> also introduced to cpuidle which is related to x86 not the cpuidle core,
> etc ...
>
> Cleanup the code will help to move the different bits from the arch
> specific code to the core code and reduce the impact of the core's
> modifications. That should let a common pattern to emerge and will
> facilitate the modifications in the future (per cpu latencies is one of
> them).
>
> That will be a lot of changes and this is why I proposed to put in place
> a cpuidle-next tree in order to consolidate all the cpuidle
> modifications people is willing to see upstream and provide better testing.

Sounds like a good idea. Do you have something like that already?

Thanks,

Peter.

From: Peter De Schrijver @ 2012-06-18 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: Deepthi Dharwar, linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,

@ 2012-06-18 12:55         ` Daniel Lezcano
From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-06-18 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter De Schrijver
  Cc: Deepthi Dharwar, linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,

On 06/18/2012 02:53 PM, Peter De Schrijver wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 02:35:42PM +0200, Daniel Lezcano wrote:

>>> On huge systems especially  servers, doing a cpuidle registration on a
>>> per-cpu basis creates a big overhead.
>>> So global registration was introduced in the first place.
>>>
>>> Why not have it as a configurable option or so ?
>>> Architectures having uniform cpuidle state parameters can continue to
>>> use global registration, else have an api to register latencies per cpu
>>> as proposed. We can definitely work to see the best way to implement it.
>>
>> Absolutely, this is one reason I think adding a function:
>>
>> cpuidle_register_latencies(int cpu, struct cpuidle_latencies);
>>
>> makes sense if it is used only for cpus with different latencies.
>> The other architecture will be kept untouched.
>>
>> IMHO, before adding more functionalities to cpuidle, we should cleanup
>> and consolidate the code. For example, there is a dependency between
>> acpi_idle and intel_idle which can be resolved with the notifiers, or
>> there is intel specific code in cpuidle.c and cpuidle.h, cpu_relax is
>> also introduced to cpuidle which is related to x86 not the cpuidle core,
>> etc ...
>>
>> Cleanup the code will help to move the different bits from the arch
>> specific code to the core code and reduce the impact of the core's
>> modifications. That should let a common pattern to emerge and will
>> facilitate the modifications in the future (per cpu latencies is one of
>> them).
>>
>> That will be a lot of changes and this is why I proposed to put in place
>> a cpuidle-next tree in order to consolidate all the cpuidle
>> modifications people is willing to see upstream and provide better testing.
>
> Sounds like a good idea. Do you have something like that already?

Yes but I need to cleanup the tree before.

http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/dlezcano/linux-next.git;a=summary

From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-06-18 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter De Schrijver
  Cc: Deepthi Dharwar, linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,

@ 2012-06-18 13:06           ` Jean Pihet
From: Jean Pihet @ 2012-06-18 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: Kevin Hilman, Rob Lee, Lists Linaro-dev, Peter De Schrijver,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Amit Kucheria, linux-acpi, linux-next,
	Colin Cross, linux-pm, Linus Torvalds, Andrew Morton

Hi Daniel,

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Daniel Lezcano
<daniel.lezcano@linaro.org> wrote:
> On 06/18/2012 02:53 PM, Peter De Schrijver wrote:

That makes sense, especially if you can refactor _and_ add new
functionality at the same time.

>>> Absolutely, this is one reason I think adding a function:
>>>
>>> cpuidle_register_latencies(int cpu, struct cpuidle_latencies);
>>>
>>> makes sense if it is used only for cpus with different latencies.
>>> The other architecture will be kept untouched.
Do you mean by keeping the parameters in the cpuidle_driver struct and
not calling the new API? That looks great.

>>> IMHO, before adding more functionalities to cpuidle, we should cleanup
>>> and consolidate the code. For example, there is a dependency between
>>> acpi_idle and intel_idle which can be resolved with the notifiers, or
>>> there is intel specific code in cpuidle.c and cpuidle.h, cpu_relax is
>>> also introduced to cpuidle which is related to x86 not the cpuidle core,
>>> etc ...
>>>
>>> Cleanup the code will help to move the different bits from the arch
>>> specific code to the core code and reduce the impact of the core's
>>> modifications. That should let a common pattern to emerge and will
>>> facilitate the modifications in the future (per cpu latencies is one of
>>> them).
>>>
>>> That will be a lot of changes and this is why I proposed to put in place
>>> a cpuidle-next tree in order to consolidate all the cpuidle
>>> modifications people is willing to see upstream and provide better testing.
Nice! The new tree needs to be as close as possible to mainline
though. Do you have plans for that?
Do not hesitate to ask for help on OMAPs!

Regards,
Jean

From: Jean Pihet @ 2012-06-18 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: Peter De Schrijver, Deepthi Dharwar, linux-acpi, linux-pm,
	Lists Linaro-dev, Linux Kernel Mailing List, Amit Kucheria, lenb,
	Andrew Morton, Linus Torvalds, Colin Cross, Rob Lee, rjw,
	Kevin Hilman, linux-next

@ 2012-06-18 13:26             ` Daniel Lezcano
From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-06-18 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Pihet
  Cc: Peter De Schrijver, Deepthi Dharwar, linux-acpi, linux-pm,

On 06/18/2012 03:06 PM, Jean Pihet wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Daniel Lezcano
> <daniel.lezcano@linaro.org> wrote:

> That makes sense, especially if you can refactor _and_ add new
> functionality at the same time.

Yes :)

> Do you mean by keeping the parameters in the cpuidle_driver struct and
> not calling the new API?

Yes, right.

> That looks great.

> Nice! The new tree needs to be as close as possible to mainline
> though. Do you have plans for that?

Yes, AFAIU as I ask for the cpuidle-next inclusion in linux-next, I have
to base the tree on top of Linus's tree and it will be pulled every day.

That will allow to detect conflicts and bogus commit early, especially
for the numerous x86 architecture variant and cpuidle combination.

For the moment I have a local commits in my tree and I am waiting for
some feedbacks from the lists about the RFC I sent for some cpuidle core
changes.

I will create a clean new tree cpuidle-next.

> Do not hesitate to ask for help on OMAPs!

Cool thanks, will do :)

  -- Daniel

From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-06-18 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Pihet
  Cc: Peter De Schrijver, Deepthi Dharwar, linux-acpi, linux-pm,
	Lists Linaro-dev, Linux Kernel Mailing List, Amit Kucheria, lenb,
	Andrew Morton, Linus Torvalds, Colin Cross, Rob Lee, rjw,
	Kevin Hilman, linux-next

On 06/18/2012 03:06 PM, Jean Pihet wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Daniel Lezcano
> <daniel.lezcano@linaro.org> wrote:

> That makes sense, especially if you can refactor _and_ add new
> functionality at the same time.

Yes :)

> Do you mean by keeping the parameters in the cpuidle_driver struct and
> not calling the new API?

Yes, right.

> That looks great.

> Nice! The new tree needs to be as close as possible to mainline
> though. Do you have plans for that?

Yes, AFAIU as I ask for the cpuidle-next inclusion in linux-next, I have
to base the tree on top of Linus's tree and it will be pulled every day.

That will allow to detect conflicts and bogus commit early, especially
for the numerous x86 architecture variant and cpuidle combination.

For the moment I have a local commits in my tree and I am waiting for
some feedbacks from the lists about the RFC I sent for some cpuidle core
changes.

I will create a clean new tree cpuidle-next.

> Do not hesitate to ask for help on OMAPs!

Cool thanks, will do :)

  -- Daniel

> Regards,
> Jean
>

>>> Sounds like a good idea. Do you have something like that already?
>>
>> Yes but I need to cleanup the tree before.
>>
>> http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/dlezcano/linux-next.git;a=summary
>>
>> --
>>  <http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs
>>
>> Follow Linaro:  <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro> Facebook |
>> <http://twitter.com/#!/linaroorg> Twitter |
>> <http://www.linaro.org/linaro-blog/> Blog
>>
>> --

 <http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs

Follow Linaro:  <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro> Facebook |
<http://twitter.com/#!/linaroorg> Twitter |
<http://www.linaro.org/linaro-blog/> Blog

* Re: [linux-pm] cpuidle future and improvements
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2012-06-18 13:30 ` a0393909
From: a0393909 @ 2012-06-18 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Kevin Hilman, Peter De Schrijver,
	Amit Kucheria, linux-next, Colin Cross, Andrew Morton,
	Linus Torvalds, Rob Lee

Daniel,

On 06/18/2012 02:10 PM, Daniel Lezcano wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> A few weeks ago, Peter De Schrijver proposed a patch [1] to allow per
> cpu latencies. We had a discussion about this patchset because it
> reverse the modifications Deepthi did some months ago [2] and we may
> want to provide a different implementation.
>
> The Linaro Connect [3] event bring us the opportunity to meet people
> involved in the power management and the cpuidle area for different SoC.
>
> With the Tegra3 and big.LITTLE architecture, making per cpu latencies
> for cpuidle is vital.
>
> Also, the SoC vendors would like to have the ability to tune their cpu
> latencies through the device tree.
>
> We agreed in the following steps:
>
> 1. factor out / cleanup the cpuidle code as much as possible
> 2. better sharing of code amongst SoC idle drivers by moving common bits
> to core code
> 3. make the cpuidle_state structure contain only data
> 4. add a API to register latencies per cpu
>
> These four steps impacts all the architecture. I began the factor out
> code / cleanup [4] and that has been accepted upstream and I proposed
> some modifications [5] but I had a very few answers.

Another thing which we discussed is bringing the CPU cluster/package
notion in the core idle code. Couple idle did bring that idea to some
extent but in can be further extended and absratcted. Atm, most of
the work is done in back-end cpuidle drivers which can be easily
abstracted if the "cluster idle" notion is supported in the core layer.

Per CPU __and__ per operating point(OPP), latency is something which
can be also added to the list. From the discussion I remember, it
matters for few SoCs and can be beneficial.

Regards
Santosh

* Re: cpuidle future and improvements
@ 2012-06-18 18:15   ` Colin Cross
From: Colin Cross @ 2012-06-18 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: Kevin Hilman, Rob Lee, Lists Linaro-dev, Peter De Schrijver,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Amit Kucheria, linux-acpi, linux-next,
	linux-pm, Linus Torvalds, Andrew Morton

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 1:40 AM, Daniel Lezcano
<daniel.lezcano@linaro.org> wrote:
> I propose to host a cpuidle-next tree where all these modifications will
> be and where people can send patches against, preventing last minutes
> conflicts and perhaps Lenb will agree to pull from this tree. In the
> meantime, the tree will be part of the linux-next, the patches will be
> more widely tested and could be fixed earlier.

My coupled cpuidle patches were acked and temporarily in Len's
next/Linus pull branch, but were later dropped when the first pull
request to Linus was rejected.  I asked Len to either put the coupled
cpuidle patches into his next branch, or let me host them so people
could base SoC branches off of them and let Len pull them later, but
got no response.  If you do start a cpuidle for-next branch, can you
pull my coupled-cpuidle branch:

The following changes since commit 76e10d158efb6d4516018846f60c2ab5501900bc:

  Linux 3.4 (2012-05-20 15:29:13 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:
  https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common.git coupled-cpuidle

Colin Cross (4):
      cpuidle: refactor out cpuidle_enter_state
      cpuidle: fix error handling in __cpuidle_register_device
      cpuidle: add support for states that affect multiple cpus
      cpuidle: coupled: add parallel barrier function

 drivers/cpuidle/Kconfig   |    3 +
 drivers/cpuidle/Makefile  |    1 +
 drivers/cpuidle/coupled.c |  715 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/cpuidle/cpuidle.c |   68 ++++-
 drivers/cpuidle/cpuidle.h |   32 ++
 include/linux/cpuidle.h   |   11 +
 create mode 100644 drivers/cpuidle/coupled.c

From: Colin Cross @ 2012-06-18 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Amit Kucheria, Deepthi Dharwar, lenb,
	Andrew Morton, Linus Torvalds, Peter De Schrijver, Rob Lee, rjw,
	Kevin Hilman, linux-next

@ 2012-06-18 19:00     ` Daniel Lezcano
From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-06-18 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Cross
  Cc: Kevin Hilman, Rob Lee, Lists Linaro-dev, Peter De Schrijver,

On 06/18/2012 08:15 PM, Colin Cross wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 1:40 AM, Daniel Lezcano
> <daniel.lezcano@linaro.org> wrote:
>> I propose to host a cpuidle-next tree where all these modifications will
>> be and where people can send patches against, preventing last minutes
>> conflicts and perhaps Lenb will agree to pull from this tree. In the
>> meantime, the tree will be part of the linux-next, the patches will be
>> more widely tested and could be fixed earlier.
>
> My coupled cpuidle patches were acked and temporarily in Len's
> next/Linus pull branch, but were later dropped when the first pull
> request to Linus was rejected.  I asked Len to either put the coupled
> cpuidle patches into his next branch, or let me host them so people
> could base SoC branches off of them and let Len pull them later, but
> got no response.  If you do start a cpuidle for-next branch, can you
> pull my coupled-cpuidle branch:

No problem.

Thanks
  -- Daniel

From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-06-18 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Cross
  Cc: linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,

@ 2012-06-25 12:54   ` Daniel Lezcano
From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-06-25 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Cross
  Cc: linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Amit Kucheria, Deepthi Dharwar, lenb,
	Andrew Morton, Linus Torvalds, Peter De Schrijver, Rob Lee, rjw,
	Kevin Hilman, linux-next

On 06/18/2012 08:15 PM, Colin Cross wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 1:40 AM, Daniel Lezcano
> <daniel.lezcano@linaro.org> wrote:
>> I propose to host a cpuidle-next tree where all these modifications will
>> be and where people can send patches against, preventing last minutes
>> conflicts and perhaps Lenb will agree to pull from this tree. In the
>> meantime, the tree will be part of the linux-next, the patches will be
>> more widely tested and could be fixed earlier.
>
> My coupled cpuidle patches were acked and temporarily in Len's
> next/Linus pull branch, but were later dropped when the first pull
> request to Linus was rejected.  I asked Len to either put the coupled
> cpuidle patches into his next branch, or let me host them so people
> could base SoC branches off of them and let Len pull them later, but
> got no response.  If you do start a cpuidle for-next branch, can you
> pull my coupled-cpuidle branch:
>
> The following changes since commit 76e10d158efb6d4516018846f60c2ab5501900bc:
>
>   Linux 3.4 (2012-05-20 15:29:13 -0700)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>   https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common.git coupled-cpuidle
>
> Colin Cross (4):
>       cpuidle: refactor out cpuidle_enter_state
>       cpuidle: fix error handling in __cpuidle_register_device
>       cpuidle: add support for states that affect multiple cpus
>       cpuidle: coupled: add parallel barrier function
>
>  drivers/cpuidle/Kconfig   |    3 +
>  drivers/cpuidle/Makefile  |    1 +
>  drivers/cpuidle/coupled.c |  715 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  drivers/cpuidle/cpuidle.c |   68 ++++-
>  drivers/cpuidle/cpuidle.h |   32 ++
>  include/linux/cpuidle.h   |   11 +
>  create mode 100644 drivers/cpuidle/coupled.c

Done.

http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/dlezcano/cpuidle-next.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/cpuidle-next

--

@ 2012-06-25 12:58   ` Shilimkar, Santosh
From: Shilimkar, Santosh @ 2012-06-25 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM, a0393909 <santosh.shilimkar@ti.com> wrote:
> Daniel,
>

> On 06/18/2012 02:10 PM, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>>

>> Dear all,
>>
>> A few weeks ago, Peter De Schrijver proposed a patch [1] to allow per
>> cpu latencies. We had a discussion about this patchset because it
>> reverse the modifications Deepthi did some months ago [2] and we may
>> want to provide a different implementation.
>>
>> The Linaro Connect [3] event bring us the opportunity to meet people
>> involved in the power management and the cpuidle area for different SoC.
>>
>> With the Tegra3 and big.LITTLE architecture, making per cpu latencies
>> for cpuidle is vital.
>>
>> Also, the SoC vendors would like to have the ability to tune their cpu
>> latencies through the device tree.
>>
>> We agreed in the following steps:
>>
>> 1. factor out / cleanup the cpuidle code as much as possible
>> 2. better sharing of code amongst SoC idle drivers by moving common bits
>> to core code
>> 3. make the cpuidle_state structure contain only data
>> 4. add a API to register latencies per cpu
>>
>> These four steps impacts all the architecture. I began the factor out
>> code / cleanup [4] and that has been accepted upstream and I proposed
>> some modifications [5] but I had a very few answers.
>>
> Another thing which we discussed is bringing the CPU cluster/package
> notion in the core idle code. Couple idle did bring that idea to some
> extent but in can be further extended and abstracted. Atm, most of
> the work is done in back-end cpuidle drivers which can be easily
> abstracted if the "cluster idle" notion is supported in the core layer.

Are you considering the "cluster idle" as one of the topic ?

Regards
Santosh

* Re: [linux-pm] cpuidle future and improvements
@ 2012-06-25 13:10       ` Daniel Lezcano
From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-06-25 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shilimkar, Santosh
  Cc: linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,

On 06/25/2012 02:58 PM, Shilimkar, Santosh wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM, a0393909 <santosh.shilimkar@ti.com> wrote:
>> Daniel,
>>

>> On 06/18/2012 02:10 PM, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>>>

>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> A few weeks ago, Peter De Schrijver proposed a patch [1] to allow per
>>> cpu latencies. We had a discussion about this patchset because it
>>> reverse the modifications Deepthi did some months ago [2] and we may
>>> want to provide a different implementation.
>>>
>>> The Linaro Connect [3] event bring us the opportunity to meet people
>>> involved in the power management and the cpuidle area for different SoC.
>>>
>>> With the Tegra3 and big.LITTLE architecture, making per cpu latencies
>>> for cpuidle is vital.
>>>
>>> Also, the SoC vendors would like to have the ability to tune their cpu
>>> latencies through the device tree.
>>>
>>> We agreed in the following steps:
>>>
>>> 1. factor out / cleanup the cpuidle code as much as possible
>>> 2. better sharing of code amongst SoC idle drivers by moving common bits
>>> to core code
>>> 3. make the cpuidle_state structure contain only data
>>> 4. add a API to register latencies per cpu
>>>
>>> These four steps impacts all the architecture. I began the factor out
>>> code / cleanup [4] and that has been accepted upstream and I proposed
>>> some modifications [5] but I had a very few answers.
>>>
>> Another thing which we discussed is bringing the CPU cluster/package
>> notion in the core idle code. Couple idle did bring that idea to some
>> extent but in can be further extended and abstracted. Atm, most of
>> the work is done in back-end cpuidle drivers which can be easily
>> abstracted if the "cluster idle" notion is supported in the core layer.
>>
> Are you considering the "cluster idle" as one of the topic ?

Yes, absolutely. ATM, I am looking for refactoring the cpuidle code and
cleanup whenever is possible.

From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-06-25 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shilimkar, Santosh
  Cc: linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,

@ 2012-06-25 13:17       ` Shilimkar, Santosh
From: Shilimkar, Santosh @ 2012-06-25 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Kevin Hilman, Peter De Schrijver,
	Amit Kucheria, linux-next, Colin Cross, Andrew Morton,
	Linus Torvalds, Rob Lee

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Daniel Lezcano
<daniel.lezcano@linaro.org> wrote:
> On 06/25/2012 02:58 PM, Shilimkar, Santosh wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM, a0393909 <santosh.shilimkar@ti.com> wrote:
>>> Daniel,

>>> Another thing which we discussed is bringing the CPU cluster/package
>>> notion in the core idle code. Couple idle did bring that idea to some
>>> extent but in can be further extended and abstracted. Atm, most of
>>> the work is done in back-end cpuidle drivers which can be easily
>>> abstracted if the "cluster idle" notion is supported in the core layer.
>>>
>> Are you considering the "cluster idle" as one of the topic ?
>
> Yes, absolutely. ATM, I am looking for refactoring the cpuidle code and
> cleanup whenever is possible.

Cool !!

regards
Santosh

* linux-next : cpuidle - could you add my tree please
@ 2012-06-25 13:27   ` Daniel Lezcano
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-06-25 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Kevin Hilman, Peter De Schrijver,
	Amit Kucheria, linux-next, Colin Cross, Andrew Morton,
	Linus Torvalds, Rob Lee

Hi Stephen,

we discussed last week to put in place a tree grouping the cpuidle
modifications [1]. Is it possible to add the tree ?

git://git.linaro.org/people/dlezcano/cpuidle-next.git #cpuidle-next

It contains for the moment Colin Cross's cpuidle coupled states.

Thanks in advance
  -- Daniel

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/6/18/113

* Re: linux-next : cpuidle - could you add my tree please
@ 2012-06-25 22:53     ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2012-06-25 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 15:27:03 +0200 Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@linaro.org> wrote:

> we discussed last week to put in place a tree grouping the cpuidle
> modifications [1]. Is it possible to add the tree ?
>
> git://git.linaro.org/people/dlezcano/cpuidle-next.git #cpuidle-next
>
> It contains for the moment Colin Cross's cpuidle coupled states.

Added from today.

Thanks for adding your subsystem tree as a participant of linux-next.  As
you may know, this is not a judgment of your code.  The purpose of
linux-next is for integration testing and to lower the impact of
conflicts between subsystems in the next merge window.

You will need to ensure that the patches/commits in your tree/series have
been:
     * submitted under GPL v2 (or later) and include the Contributor's
	Signed-off-by,
     * posted to the relevant mailing list,
     * reviewed by you (or another maintainer of your subsystem tree),
     * successfully unit tested, and
     * destined for the current or next Linux merge window.

Basically, this should be just what you would send to Linus (or ask him
to fetch).  It is allowed to be rebased if you deem it necessary.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

Legal Stuff:
By participating in linux-next, your subsystem tree contributions are
public and will be included in the linux-next trees.  You may be sent
e-mail messages indicating errors or other issues when the
patches/commits from your subsystem tree are merged and tested in
linux-next.  These messages may also be cross-posted to the linux-next
mailing list, the linux-kernel mailing list, etc.  The linux-next tree
project and IBM (my employer) make no warranties regarding the linux-next
project, the testing procedures, the results, the e-mails, etc.  If you
don't agree to these ground rules, let me know and I'll remove your tree
from participation in linux-next.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 836 bytes --]

* Re: linux-next : cpuidle - could you add my tree please
@ 2012-07-02  9:09       ` Linus Walleij
From: Linus Walleij @ 2012-07-02  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: Kevin Hilman, Stephen Rothwell, Rob Lee, Lists Linaro-dev,
	Peter De Schrijver, Linux Kernel Mailing List, Amit Kucheria,
	linux-acpi, linux-next, Colin Cross, linux-pm, Linus Torvalds,
	Andrew Morton

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Daniel Lezcano
<daniel.lezcano@linaro.org> wrote:

> we discussed last week to put in place a tree grouping the cpuidle
> modifications [1]. Is it possible to add the tree ?
>
> git://git.linaro.org/people/dlezcano/cpuidle-next.git #cpuidle-next

Thanks for doing this.

Since MAINTAINERS is lacking a listed maintainer for cpuidle,
are you also going to add yourself as maintainer and list this
tree in that file, or is this a one-time exercise?

Yours,
Linus Walleij

From: Linus Walleij @ 2012-07-02  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,

@ 2012-07-02 12:51         ` Daniel Lezcano
From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-07-02 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Kevin Hilman, Peter De Schrijver,
	Amit Kucheria, linux-next, Colin Cross, Andrew Morton,
	Linus Torvalds, Rob Lee, lenb, rjw

On 07/02/2012 11:09 AM, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Daniel Lezcano
> <daniel.lezcano@linaro.org> wrote:
>
>> we discussed last week to put in place a tree grouping the cpuidle
>> modifications [1]. Is it possible to add the tree ?
>>
>> git://git.linaro.org/people/dlezcano/cpuidle-next.git #cpuidle-next
>
> Thanks for doing this.
>
> Since MAINTAINERS is lacking a listed maintainer for cpuidle,
> are you also going to add yourself as maintainer and list this
> tree in that file, or is this a one-time exercise?

I will be glad to do that if Len and Rafael agree on that.

From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-07-02 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,

@ 2012-07-02 19:49         ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2012-07-02 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Stephen Rothwell, linux-acpi, linux-pm,
	Lists Linaro-dev, Linux Kernel Mailing List, Kevin Hilman,
	Peter De Schrijver, Amit Kucheria, linux-next, Colin Cross,
	Andrew Morton, Linus Torvalds, Rob Lee, lenb

On Monday, July 02, 2012, Daniel Lezcano wrote:

> On 07/02/2012 11:09 AM, Linus Walleij wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Daniel Lezcano
> > <daniel.lezcano@linaro.org> wrote:
> >
> >> we discussed last week to put in place a tree grouping the cpuidle
> >> modifications [1]. Is it possible to add the tree ?
> >>
> >> git://git.linaro.org/people/dlezcano/cpuidle-next.git #cpuidle-next
> >
> > Thanks for doing this.
> >
> > Since MAINTAINERS is lacking a listed maintainer for cpuidle,
> > are you also going to add yourself as maintainer and list this
> > tree in that file, or is this a one-time exercise?
>
> I will be glad to do that if Len and Rafael agree on that.

Len Brown has been a cpuidle maintainer for some time now.  Moreover,
he's been taking patches, but Linus refused to pull his entire tree during the
last merge window (as you probably know).  I honestly don't think this is
a good enough reason for replacing him as a cpuidle maintainer by force.

So, you should ask Len whether or not he's willing to pass the cpuidle
maintenance to someone else.

I know that Len hasn't been responsive recently, but I also know that he
_does_ respond to inquiries sent directly to him.

Thanks,
Rafael

* Re: linux-next : cpuidle - could you add my tree please
@ 2012-07-02 20:04       ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2012-07-02 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: Kevin Hilman, Stephen Rothwell, Rob Lee, Lists Linaro-dev,

On Monday, June 25, 2012, Daniel Lezcano wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> we discussed last week to put in place a tree grouping the cpuidle
> modifications [1]. Is it possible to add the tree ?
>
> git://git.linaro.org/people/dlezcano/cpuidle-next.git #cpuidle-next
>
> It contains for the moment Colin Cross's cpuidle coupled states.

Do you have a stable branch in that tree, i.e. such that it is guaranteed not
to be rebased?

Rafael

From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2012-07-02 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, linux-acpi, linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev,

@ 2012-07-02 22:14           ` Daniel Lezcano
From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-07-02 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Stephen Rothwell, linux-acpi, linux-pm,

On 07/02/2012 09:49 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Monday, July 02, 2012, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>>
>> On 07/02/2012 11:09 AM, Linus Walleij wrote:

>>> Thanks for doing this.
>>>
>>> Since MAINTAINERS is lacking a listed maintainer for cpuidle,
>>> are you also going to add yourself as maintainer and list this
>>> tree in that file, or is this a one-time exercise?
>>
>> I will be glad to do that if Len and Rafael agree on that.
>
> Len Brown has been a cpuidle maintainer for some time now.  Moreover,
> he's been taking patches, but Linus refused to pull his entire tree during the
> last merge window (as you probably know).  I honestly don't think this is
> a good enough reason for replacing him as a cpuidle maintainer by force.
>
> So, you should ask Len whether or not he's willing to pass the cpuidle
> maintenance to someone else.

No, no. You are misunderstanding what I am proposing. I don't want to
replace Len I just want to act as a "proxy". I understand a maintainer
can be busy and could not have enough time to take care of the subsystem
is maintaining during a period because he's too busy for that.
Trust me, I fully understand that :)

As there are a lot of modifications of cpuidle, I am proposing to take
the patches when they are acked-by, to create a consolidated tree,
providing a better integration for cpuidle, a wider testing, preventing
conflicts and facilitating Len's work if he agrees to pull from this tree.

If that makes sense to add myself to the MAINTAINER file as a
co-maintainer (understand: send to me also the patches, so I can take
care of them if Len does not respond), I am ok with that.

It is just about helping :)

> I know that Len hasn't been responsive recently, but I also know that he
> _does_ respond to inquiries sent directly to him.

Do you mean to its intel address ?

Thanks
  -- Daniel

@ 2012-07-03  8:59             ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2012-07-03  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Stephen Rothwell, linux-acpi, linux-pm,

On Tuesday, July 03, 2012, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> On 07/02/2012 09:49 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> >> I will be glad to do that if Len and Rafael agree on that.
> >
> > Len Brown has been a cpuidle maintainer for some time now.  Moreover,
> > he's been taking patches, but Linus refused to pull his entire tree during the
> > last merge window (as you probably know).  I honestly don't think this is
> > a good enough reason for replacing him as a cpuidle maintainer by force.
> >
> > So, you should ask Len whether or not he's willing to pass the cpuidle
> > maintenance to someone else.
>
> No, no. You are misunderstanding what I am proposing. I don't want to
> replace Len I just want to act as a "proxy". I understand a maintainer
> can be busy and could not have enough time to take care of the subsystem
> is maintaining during a period because he's too busy for that.
> Trust me, I fully understand that :)
>
> As there are a lot of modifications of cpuidle, I am proposing to take
> the patches when they are acked-by, to create a consolidated tree,
> providing a better integration for cpuidle, a wider testing, preventing
> conflicts and facilitating Len's work if he agrees to pull from this tree.
>
> If that makes sense to add myself to the MAINTAINER file as a
> co-maintainer (understand: send to me also the patches, so I can take
> care of them if Len does not respond), I am ok with that.
>
> It is just about helping :)

Cool. :-)

So do you have a branch in the cpuidle-next.git tree that isn't going to
be rebased?

> > I know that Len hasn't been responsive recently, but I also know that he
> > _does_ respond to inquiries sent directly to him.
>
> Do you mean to its intel address ?

Yes, CCing the Len's Intel address won't hurt I think.

Thanks,
Rafael

* Re: linux-next : cpuidle - could you add my tree please
@ 2012-07-03 12:56               ` Daniel Lezcano
From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-07-03 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki
  Cc: Linus Walleij, Stephen Rothwell, linux-acpi, linux-pm,

On 07/03/2012 10:59 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 03, 2012, Daniel Lezcano wrote:

>>> Len Brown has been a cpuidle maintainer for some time now.  Moreover,
>>> he's been taking patches, but Linus refused to pull his entire tree during the
>>> last merge window (as you probably know).  I honestly don't think this is
>>> a good enough reason for replacing him as a cpuidle maintainer by force.
>>>
>>> So, you should ask Len whether or not he's willing to pass the cpuidle
>>> maintenance to someone else.
>>
>> No, no. You are misunderstanding what I am proposing. I don't want to
>> replace Len I just want to act as a "proxy". I understand a maintainer
>> can be busy and could not have enough time to take care of the subsystem
>> is maintaining during a period because he's too busy for that.
>> Trust me, I fully understand that :)
>>
>> As there are a lot of modifications of cpuidle, I am proposing to take
>> the patches when they are acked-by, to create a consolidated tree,
>> providing a better integration for cpuidle, a wider testing, preventing
>> conflicts and facilitating Len's work if he agrees to pull from this tree.
>>
>> If that makes sense to add myself to the MAINTAINER file as a
>> co-maintainer (understand: send to me also the patches, so I can take
>> care of them if Len does not respond), I am ok with that.
>>
>> It is just about helping :)
>
> Cool. :-)
>
> So do you have a branch in the cpuidle-next.git tree that isn't going to
> be rebased?

No. I am following Linus tree and adding the patches on top of it.

>>> I know that Len hasn't been responsive recently, but I also know that he
>>> _does_ respond to inquiries sent directly to him.
>>
>> Do you mean to its intel address ?
>
> Yes, CCing the Len's Intel address won't hurt I think.

Ok, I will ping him and give him the pointers to the discussion we had.

Thanks
  -- Daniel

--

@ 2012-07-03 13:19                 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2012-07-03 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: Rafael J. Wysocki, Linus Walleij, linux-acpi, linux-pm,

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 14:56:58 +0200 Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@linaro.org> wrote:

> > So do you have a branch in the cpuidle-next.git tree that isn't going to
> > be rebased?
>
> No. I am following Linus tree and adding the patches on top of it.

Please don't rebase your tree more than necessary - it just makes thing
hard for anyone using your tree as a base for further development and
throws away any testing you may have done.

--

@ 2012-07-03 13:25                     ` Daniel Lezcano
From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-07-03 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: Kevin Hilman, Rob Lee, Lists Linaro-dev, Andrew Morton,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Amit Kucheria, linux-acpi, linux-next,
	Colin Cross, linux-pm, Linus Torvalds, Peter De Schrijver

On 07/03/2012 03:19 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 14:56:58 +0200 Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@linaro.org> wrote:
>>
>>> So do you have a branch in the cpuidle-next.git tree that isn't going to
>>> be rebased?
>>
>> No. I am following Linus tree and adding the patches on top of it.
>
> Please don't rebase your tree more than necessary - it just makes thing
> hard for anyone using your tree as a base for further development and
> throws away any testing you may have done.

Ok, let me sync with Len and Rafael about the best way to do that.

Thanks
  -- Daniel

From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-07-03 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell
  Cc: Rafael J. Wysocki, Linus Walleij, linux-acpi, linux-pm,

@ 2012-07-03 16:54                     ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2012-07-03 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Linus Walleij, linux-acpi, linux-pm,
	Lists Linaro-dev, Linux Kernel Mailing List, Kevin Hilman,
	Peter De Schrijver, Amit Kucheria, linux-next, Colin Cross,
	Andrew Morton, Linus Torvalds, Rob Lee, lenb

On Tuesday, July 03, 2012, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> On 07/03/2012 03:19 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Hi Daniel,

> >> No. I am following Linus tree and adding the patches on top of it.
> >
> > Please don't rebase your tree more than necessary - it just makes thing
> > hard for anyone using your tree as a base for further development and
> > throws away any testing you may have done.
>
> Ok, let me sync with Len and Rafael about the best way to do that.

Please create a branch in your tree for me to pull from and let me know
which one it is.  Please note that this branch must not be rebased after I've
pulled from it and it's going to be included into my linux-next branch
automatically.

I'll include it into my v3.6 push, because I have a couple of cpuidle patches
queued up already.  We'll need to discuss the future of it after 3.6, though.

Thanks,
Rafael

* Re: linux-next : cpuidle - could you add my tree please
@ 2012-07-03 19:20               ` Linus Walleij
From: Linus Walleij @ 2012-07-03 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano, Len.Brown
  Cc: Kevin Hilman, Stephen Rothwell, Rob Lee, Lists Linaro-dev,
	Peter De Schrijver, Linux Kernel Mailing List, Amit Kucheria,
	linux-acpi, linux-next, Colin Cross, linux-pm, Linus Torvalds,
	Andrew Morton

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM, Daniel Lezcano
<daniel.lezcano@linaro.org> wrote:

> If that makes sense to add myself to the MAINTAINER file as a
> co-maintainer (understand: send to me also the patches, so I can take
> care of them if Len does not respond), I am ok with that.

What about a patch adding both you and Len as MAINTAINERs,
right now there is noone just some informal consensus and noone
really knows who to send patches to. Let's formalize it.

Yours,
Linus Walleij

From: Linus Walleij @ 2012-07-03 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano, Len.Brown
  Cc: Rafael J. Wysocki, Stephen Rothwell, linux-acpi, linux-pm,

@ 2012-07-03 19:33                 ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2012-07-03 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij
  Cc: Kevin Hilman, Len.Brown, Rob Lee, Lists Linaro-dev,
	Stephen Rothwell, Peter De Schrijver, Linux Kernel Mailing List,

On Tuesday, July 03, 2012, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM, Daniel Lezcano
> <daniel.lezcano@linaro.org> wrote:
>
> > If that makes sense to add myself to the MAINTAINER file as a
> > co-maintainer (understand: send to me also the patches, so I can take
> > care of them if Len does not respond), I am ok with that.
>
> What about a patch adding both you and Len as MAINTAINERs,
> right now there is noone just some informal consensus and noone
> really knows who to send patches to. Let's formalize it.

Send them to me for now.  We'll settle the issue when Len is back.

Thanks,
Rafael

From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2012-07-03 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Walleij
  Cc: Daniel Lezcano, Len.Brown, Stephen Rothwell, linux-acpi,
	linux-pm, Lists Linaro-dev, Linux Kernel Mailing List,
	Kevin Hilman, Peter De Schrijver, Amit Kucheria, linux-next,
	Colin Cross, Andrew Morton, Linus Torvalds, Rob Lee, lenb

@ 2012-07-05 13:33                       ` Daniel Lezcano
From: Daniel Lezcano @ 2012-07-05 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki
  Cc: Stephen Rothwell, Linus Walleij, linux-acpi, linux-pm,

On 07/03/2012 06:54 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 03, 2012, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>> On 07/03/2012 03:19 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>>> Hi Daniel,

>>> Please don't rebase your tree more than necessary - it just makes thing
>>> hard for anyone using your tree as a base for further development and
>>> throws away any testing you may have done.
>>
>> Ok, let me sync with Len and Rafael about the best way to do that.
>
> Please create a branch in your tree for me to pull from and let me know
> which one it is.  Please note that this branch must not be rebased after I've
> pulled from it and it's going to be included into my linux-next branch
> automatically.

Ok that sounds good.

Let me put in place the branch and rework my patches because they
conflict with the 'disable' flag moved to the per cpu structure.
In the meantime, I will send you the other patches which do not conflict.

> I'll include it into my v3.6 push, because I have a couple of cpuidle patches
> queued up already.  We'll need to discuss the future of it after 3.6, though.

Ok, cool.

Thanks
  -- Daniel

--

@ 2012-07-11 14:00     ` Kevin Hilman
From: Kevin Hilman @ 2012-07-11 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Lezcano
  Cc: Colin Cross, Rob Lee, Lists Linaro-dev, Peter De Schrijver,

Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@linaro.org> writes:

> On 06/18/2012 08:15 PM, Colin Cross wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 1:40 AM, Daniel Lezcano
>> <daniel.lezcano@linaro.org> wrote:
>>> I propose to host a cpuidle-next tree where all these modifications will
>>> be and where people can send patches against, preventing last minutes
>>> conflicts and perhaps Lenb will agree to pull from this tree. In the
>>> meantime, the tree will be part of the linux-next, the patches will be
>>> more widely tested and could be fixed earlier.
>>
>> My coupled cpuidle patches were acked and temporarily in Len's
>> next/Linus pull branch, but were later dropped when the first pull
>> request to Linus was rejected.  I asked Len to either put the coupled
>> cpuidle patches into his next branch, or let me host them so people
>> could base SoC branches off of them and let Len pull them later, but
>> got no response.  If you do start a cpuidle for-next branch, can you
>> pull my coupled-cpuidle branch:
>>
>> The following changes since commit 76e10d158efb6d4516018846f60c2ab5501900bc:
>>
>>   Linux 3.4 (2012-05-20 15:29:13 -0700)
>>
>> are available in the git repository at:
>>   https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common.git coupled-cpuidle
>>
>> Colin Cross (4):
>>       cpuidle: refactor out cpuidle_enter_state
>>       cpuidle: fix error handling in __cpuidle_register_device
>>       cpuidle: add support for states that affect multiple cpus
>>       cpuidle: coupled: add parallel barrier function
>>
>>  drivers/cpuidle/Kconfig   |    3 +
>>  drivers/cpuidle/Makefile  |    1 +
>>  drivers/cpuidle/coupled.c |  715 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>  drivers/cpuidle/cpuidle.c |   68 ++++-
>>  drivers/cpuidle/cpuidle.h |   32 ++
>>  include/linux/cpuidle.h   |   11 +
>>  create mode 100644 drivers/cpuidle/coupled.c
>

> Done.
>
> http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/dlezcano/cpuidle-next.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/cpuidle-next

Great!

Daniel, thanks for tracking this.  Are you planning to submit a pull
request to Rafael so we finally can get this into linux-next and merged
for v3.6?

Looks like there will be a slight problem to sort out though.  Len's
'next' branch[1] is already included in linux-next and as some version
of the coupled CPUidle already merged.

I hope we can sort this out in time for v3.6 because this series has
been well reviewed, well tested and ready for merge since before the
v3.5 merge window.

Kevin

[1] git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/lenb/linux next