* rtl28xxu - rtl2832 frontend attach
@ 2012-05-20 17:04 poma
From: poma @ 2012-05-20 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Heigh ho, heigh ho
To make your troubles go
Just keep on singing
All day long, heigh ho
Heigh ho!

After hard/cold boot:
[…]
usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci_hcd
usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1f4d, idProduct=b803
usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-1: Product: RTL2838UHIDIR
usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Realtek
usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 00000041
rtl28xxu_module_init:
rtl28xxu_probe: interface=0
check for warm bda 2831
check for warm 14aa 160
check for warm 14aa 161
something went very wrong, device was not found in current device list -
let's see what comes next.
check for warm ccd a9
check for warm 1f4d b803
dvb-usb: found a 'G-Tek Electronics Group Lifeview LV5TDLX DVB-T' in
warm state.
power control: 1
rtl2832u_power_ctrl: onoff=1
dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software
demuxer.
all in all I will use 24576 bytes for streaming
DVB: registering new adapter (G-Tek Electronics Group Lifeview LV5TDLX
DVB-T)
DVB: register adapter0/demux0 @ minor: 0 (0x00)
DVB: register adapter0/dvr0 @ minor: 1 (0x01)
DVB: register adapter0/net0 @ minor: 2 (0x02)
rtl2832u_frontend_attach:
rtl28xxu: rtl2832u_frontend_attach: FC0012 tuner found
dvb_register_frontend
DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Realtek RTL2832 (DVB-T))...
DVB: register adapter0/frontend0 @ minor: 3 (0x03)
dvb_frontend_clear_cache() Clearing cache for delivery system 3
rtl2832u_tuner_attach:
fc0012: Fitipower FC0012 successfully attached.
Registered IR keymap rc-empty
input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1/usb1/1-1/rc/rc0/input5
rc0: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1/usb1/1-1/rc/rc0
dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 400 msecs.
power control: 0
rtl2832u_power_ctrl: onoff=0
dvb-usb: G-Tek Electronics Group Lifeview LV5TDLX DVB-T successfully
initialized and connected.
rtl28xxu_probe: interface=1
usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_rtl28xxu
[…]
Seems OK.

After soft/warm re(boot):
[…]
[...]
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
No compatible tuner found
dvb-usb: no frontend was attached by 'G-Tek Electronics Group Lifeview
LV5TDLX DVB-T'
Registered IR keymap rc-empty
input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1/usb1/1-1/rc/rc0/input5
rc0: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.1/usb1/1-1/rc/rc0
dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 400 msecs.
power control: 0
rtl2832u_power_ctrl: onoff=0
dvb-usb: G-Tek Electronics Group Lifeview LV5TDLX DVB-T successfully
initialized and connected.
rtl28xxu_probe: interface=1
usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_rtl28xxu
[…]
D'oh!

Difference - cold vs warm boot:
< rtl28xxu: rtl2832u_frontend_attach: FC0012 tuner found
< dvb_register_frontend
< DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Realtek RTL2832 (DVB-T))...
< DVB: register adapter0/frontend0 @ minor: 3 (0x03)
< dvb_frontend_clear_cache() Clearing cache for delivery system 3
< rtl2832u_tuner_attach:
< fc0012: Fitipower FC0012 successfully attached.
---
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> No compatible tuner found
> dvb-usb: no frontend was attached by 'G-Tek Electronics Group Lifeview
LV5TDLX DVB-T'

Any tip or trick?

cheers,
poma

* Re: rtl28xxu - rtl2832 frontend attach
@ 2012-05-20 20:08 ` Antti Palosaari
From: Antti Palosaari @ 2012-05-20 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poma, Thomas Mair; +Cc: linux-media

On 20.05.2012 20:04, poma wrote:
> After hard/cold boot:

> DVB: register adapter0/net0 @ minor: 2 (0x02)
> rtl2832u_frontend_attach:
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
> No compatible tuner found

These errors are coming from tuner probe. As it still goes to probing
and did not jump out earlier when gate is opened it means that demod is
answering commands but tuner are not.

My guess is that tuner is still on the reset or not powered at all. It
is almost 100% sure error is wrong tuner GPIO.

regards
Antti
--
http://palosaari.fi/

* Re: rtl28xxu - rtl2832 frontend attach
@ 2012-05-20 21:12   ` Thomas Mair
From: Thomas Mair @ 2012-05-20 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antti Palosaari; +Cc: poma, linux-media

On 20.05.2012 22:08, Antti Palosaari wrote:
> On 20.05.2012 20:04, poma wrote:
>> After hard/cold boot:
>
>> DVB: register adapter0/net0 @ minor: 2 (0x02)
>> rtl2832u_frontend_attach:
>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>> No compatible tuner found
>
> These errors are coming from tuner probe. As it still goes to probing and did not jump out earlier when gate is opened it means that demod is answering commands but tuner are not.
>
> My guess is that tuner is still on the reset or not powered at all. It is almost 100% sure error is wrong tuner GPIO.

There is an issue with GPIO, as FC0012 tuner callback will set
the value of one of the GPIO outputs. However fixing that, will
not resolve the issue. So I need to debug the problem further.

Thanks for the bug report.

Regards
Thomas

* Re: rtl28xxu - rtl2832 frontend attach
@ 2012-05-26  2:47     ` poma
From: poma @ 2012-05-26  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Mair, Antti Palosaari, linux-media

On 05/20/2012 11:12 PM, Thomas Mair wrote:
> On 20.05.2012 22:08, Antti Palosaari wrote:
>> On 20.05.2012 20:04, poma wrote:
>>> After hard/cold boot:
>>
>>> DVB: register adapter0/net0 @ minor: 2 (0x02)
>>> rtl2832u_frontend_attach:
>>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>>> rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
>>> No compatible tuner found
>>
>> These errors are coming from tuner probe. As it still goes to probing and did not jump out earlier when gate is opened it means that demod is answering commands but tuner are not.
>>
>> My guess is that tuner is still on the reset or not powered at all. It is almost 100% sure error is wrong tuner GPIO.
>
> There is an issue with GPIO, as FC0012 tuner callback will set
> the value of one of the GPIO outputs. However fixing that, will
> not resolve the issue. So I need to debug the problem further.

True. Whatever a value is changed - 'rtl2832u_power_ctrl', it brakes
even more.
Precisely, what breaks a tuner on next soft [re]boot are apps/utils
which engage tzap/scan[dvb].

· · · — — — · · ·

@ 2012-05-28  6:58       ` Thomas Mair
From: Thomas Mair @ 2012-05-28  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poma; +Cc: Antti Palosaari, linux-media

On 26.05.2012 04:47, poma wrote:
> On 05/20/2012 11:12 PM, Thomas Mair wrote:

>>> These errors are coming from tuner probe. As it still goes to probing and did not jump out earlier when gate is opened it means that demod is answering commands but tuner are not.
>>>
>>> My guess is that tuner is still on the reset or not powered at all. It is almost 100% sure error is wrong tuner GPIO.
>>
>> There is an issue with GPIO, as FC0012 tuner callback will set
>> the value of one of the GPIO outputs. However fixing that, will
>> not resolve the issue. So I need to debug the problem further.
>>
> True. Whatever a value is changed - 'rtl2832u_power_ctrl', it brakes
> even more.
> Precisely, what breaks a tuner on next soft [re]boot are apps/utils
> which engage tzap/scan[dvb].

To reproduce the bug it is not necessary to reboot the machine. Simply
unload and load of the dvb_usb_rtl28xxu module will lead to the same
situation.

I suspect, that when power is turned off, the tuner power is not
switched on correctly. The mistake is not related to the OUTPUT_VAL
registers but probably to the OUTPUT_DIR or OUTPUT_EN registers.

What makes me wonder is if no tuning operation is performed before
reboot, the driver does work correctly after that, as poma already
noticed.

I have some spare time today and will investigate the problem further.

Regards
Thomas

* Re: rtl28xxu - rtl2832 frontend attach
@ 2012-05-28 14:48         ` Thomas Mair
From: Thomas Mair @ 2012-05-28 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poma; +Cc: Antti Palosaari, linux-media

On 28.05.2012 08:58, Thomas Mair wrote:
> On 26.05.2012 04:47, poma wrote:

>>> There is an issue with GPIO, as FC0012 tuner callback will set
>>> the value of one of the GPIO outputs. However fixing that, will
>>> not resolve the issue. So I need to debug the problem further.
>>>
>> True. Whatever a value is changed - 'rtl2832u_power_ctrl', it brakes
>> even more.
>> Precisely, what breaks a tuner on next soft [re]boot are apps/utils
>> which engage tzap/scan[dvb].
>>

> To reproduce the bug it is not necessary to reboot the machine. Simply
> unload and load of the dvb_usb_rtl28xxu module will lead to the same
> situation.
>
> I suspect, that when power is turned off, the tuner power is not
> switched on correctly. The mistake is not related to the OUTPUT_VAL
> registers but probably to the OUTPUT_DIR or OUTPUT_EN registers.
>
> What makes me wonder is if no tuning operation is performed before
> reboot, the driver does work correctly after that, as poma already
> noticed.
>
> I have some spare time today and will investigate the problem further.

I tried a few things regarding the problem today and could find out a
few more details, but could not resolve the issue.

The GPIO pin configuration for the devices with the fc0012 (and probably
also with the fc0013) tuner is the following:

GPIO0: demod power
GPIO3: tuner power? (the realtek driver puts this to 1 and never touches it again)
GPIO4: tuner power? (maybe antenna power?)
GPIO5: tuner reset
GPIO6: UHF/VHF band selection

All of these GPIOs are configured as output. When the device is plugged in
the tuner is powered up correctly, but I am not able to power it up when
a reboot is performed. What I tried was the following:

- on rtl28xxu_power_ctrl off:
  - GPIO4 = 1 (off)
  - GPIO5 = 0
  - GPIO6 = 0 (default state)

- on rtl28xxu_power_ctrl on:
  - GPIO3 = 1
  - GPIO4 = 0 (on)
  - GPIO5 = 0
  - GPIO6 = 0 (default state)

- on rtl2832_frontend_attach:
  - GPIO5 = 1
  - GPIO5 = 0

This sequence should ensure that the tuner is powered on when the frontend
is attached, and a tuner reset is being performed before the tuner is probed.
However this sequence fails the same way as it did before. I tried to add
timeouts to be sure that the tuner is not probed while it is reset but that
did not help either.

Right now I really don't know where I should look for the solution of
the problem. It seems that the tuner reset does not have any effect on the
tuner whatsoever.

Is there anybody who could look at the code, or maybe knows what could be
the cause of the problem? I suspect I am just too blind to see my own mistakes.

Regards
Thomas

* Re: rtl28xxu - rtl2832 frontend attach
@ 2012-06-26 17:17           ` poma
From: poma @ 2012-06-26 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Mair, Hans-Frieder Vogt, Antti Palosaari, mchehab, linux-media

On 05/28/2012 04:48 PM, Thomas Mair wrote:
> On 28.05.2012 08:58, Thomas Mair wrote:

>>> True. Whatever a value is changed - 'rtl2832u_power_ctrl', it brakes
>>> even more.
>>> Precisely, what breaks a tuner on next soft [re]boot are apps/utils
>>> which engage tzap/scan[dvb].
>>>

>> To reproduce the bug it is not necessary to reboot the machine. Simply
>> unload and load of the dvb_usb_rtl28xxu module will lead to the same
>> situation.
>>
>> I suspect, that when power is turned off, the tuner power is not
>> switched on correctly. The mistake is not related to the OUTPUT_VAL
>> registers but probably to the OUTPUT_DIR or OUTPUT_EN registers.
>>
>> What makes me wonder is if no tuning operation is performed before
>> reboot, the driver does work correctly after that, as poma already
>> noticed.
>>
>> I have some spare time today and will investigate the problem further.
>>

> I tried a few things regarding the problem today and could find out a
> few more details, but could not resolve the issue.
>
> The GPIO pin configuration for the devices with the fc0012 (and probably
> also with the fc0013) tuner is the following:
>
> GPIO0: demod power
> GPIO3: tuner power? (the realtek driver puts this to 1 and never touches it again)
> GPIO4: tuner power? (maybe antenna power?)
> GPIO5: tuner reset
> GPIO6: UHF/VHF band selection
>
> All of these GPIOs are configured as output. When the device is plugged in
> the tuner is powered up correctly, but I am not able to power it up when
> a reboot is performed. What I tried was the following:
>
> - on rtl28xxu_power_ctrl off:
>   - GPIO4 = 1 (off)
>   - GPIO5 = 0
>   - GPIO6 = 0 (default state)
>
> - on rtl28xxu_power_ctrl on:
>   - GPIO3 = 1
>   - GPIO4 = 0 (on)
>   - GPIO5 = 0
>   - GPIO6 = 0 (default state)
>
> - on rtl2832_frontend_attach:
>   - GPIO5 = 1
>   - GPIO5 = 0
>
> This sequence should ensure that the tuner is powered on when the frontend
> is attached, and a tuner reset is being performed before the tuner is probed.
> However this sequence fails the same way as it did before. I tried to add
> timeouts to be sure that the tuner is not probed while it is reset but that
> did not help either.
>
> Right now I really don't know where I should look for the solution of
> the problem. It seems that the tuner reset does not have any effect on the
> tuner whatsoever.
>
> Is there anybody who could look at the code, or maybe knows what could be
> the cause of the problem? I suspect I am just too blind to see my own mistakes.
>
> Regards
> Thomas

Cheers Thomas, Hans-Frieder, Antti, Mauro!
Hans-Frieder, are you having the same issue with fc0011&af9035?
Antti, no tricks up your sleeve?
Senhor Mauro, is rtl2832 demod going to be merged?

regards,

@ 2012-06-27  5:21             ` Thomas Mair
From: Thomas Mair @ 2012-06-27  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poma; +Cc: Hans-Frieder Vogt, Antti Palosaari, mchehab, linux-media

On 26.06.2012 19:17, poma wrote:
> On 05/28/2012 04:48 PM, Thomas Mair wrote:

>>> To reproduce the bug it is not necessary to reboot the machine. Simply
>>> unload and load of the dvb_usb_rtl28xxu module will lead to the same
>>> situation.
>>>
>>> I suspect, that when power is turned off, the tuner power is not
>>> switched on correctly. The mistake is not related to the OUTPUT_VAL
>>> registers but probably to the OUTPUT_DIR or OUTPUT_EN registers.
>>>
>>> What makes me wonder is if no tuning operation is performed before
>>> reboot, the driver does work correctly after that, as poma already
>>> noticed.
>>>
>>> I have some spare time today and will investigate the problem further.
>>>

>> I tried a few things regarding the problem today and could find out a
>> few more details, but could not resolve the issue.
>>
>> The GPIO pin configuration for the devices with the fc0012 (and probably
>> also with the fc0013) tuner is the following:
>>
>> GPIO0: demod power
>> GPIO3: tuner power? (the realtek driver puts this to 1 and never touches it again)
>> GPIO4: tuner power? (maybe antenna power?)
>> GPIO5: tuner reset
>> GPIO6: UHF/VHF band selection
>>
>> All of these GPIOs are configured as output. When the device is plugged in
>> the tuner is powered up correctly, but I am not able to power it up when
>> a reboot is performed. What I tried was the following:
>>
>> - on rtl28xxu_power_ctrl off:
>>   - GPIO4 = 1 (off)
>>   - GPIO5 = 0
>>   - GPIO6 = 0 (default state)
>>
>> - on rtl28xxu_power_ctrl on:
>>   - GPIO3 = 1
>>   - GPIO4 = 0 (on)
>>   - GPIO5 = 0
>>   - GPIO6 = 0 (default state)
>>
>> - on rtl2832_frontend_attach:
>>   - GPIO5 = 1
>>   - GPIO5 = 0
>>
>> This sequence should ensure that the tuner is powered on when the frontend
>> is attached, and a tuner reset is being performed before the tuner is probed.
>> However this sequence fails the same way as it did before. I tried to add
>> timeouts to be sure that the tuner is not probed while it is reset but that
>> did not help either.
>>
>> Right now I really don't know where I should look for the solution of
>> the problem. It seems that the tuner reset does not have any effect on the
>> tuner whatsoever.
>>
>> Is there anybody who could look at the code, or maybe knows what could be
>> the cause of the problem? I suspect I am just too blind to see my own mistakes.
>>
>> Regards
>> Thomas
>>

> Cheers Thomas, Hans-Frieder, Antti, Mauro!
> Hans-Frieder, are you having the same issue with fc0011&af9035?
> Antti, no tricks up your sleeve?
> Senhor Mauro, is rtl2832 demod going to be merged?
>
> regards,
> poma

Hi all,

I will try to solve the issue as soon as I have some spare time. In the meantime I
asked Realtek if they knew of any problems with the hardware, and I got a GPIO
list which might help me to solve the problem.

Regrads
Thomas

* Re: rtl28xxu - rtl2832 frontend attach
@ 2012-06-27 12:22               ` poma
From: poma @ 2012-06-27 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Mair, linux-media

On 06/27/2012 07:21 AM, Thomas Mair wrote:
> On 26.06.2012 19:17, poma wrote:

>>> I tried a few things regarding the problem today and could find out a
>>> few more details, but could not resolve the issue.
>>>
>>> The GPIO pin configuration for the devices with the fc0012 (and probably
>>> also with the fc0013) tuner is the following:
>>>
>>> GPIO0: demod power
>>> GPIO3: tuner power? (the realtek driver puts this to 1 and never touches it again)
>>> GPIO4: tuner power? (maybe antenna power?)
>>> GPIO5: tuner reset
>>> GPIO6: UHF/VHF band selection
>>>
>>> All of these GPIOs are configured as output. When the device is plugged in
>>> the tuner is powered up correctly, but I am not able to power it up when
>>> a reboot is performed. What I tried was the following:
>>>
>>> - on rtl28xxu_power_ctrl off:
>>>   - GPIO4 = 1 (off)
>>>   - GPIO5 = 0
>>>   - GPIO6 = 0 (default state)
>>>
>>> - on rtl28xxu_power_ctrl on:
>>>   - GPIO3 = 1
>>>   - GPIO4 = 0 (on)
>>>   - GPIO5 = 0
>>>   - GPIO6 = 0 (default state)
>>>
>>> - on rtl2832_frontend_attach:
>>>   - GPIO5 = 1
>>>   - GPIO5 = 0
>>>
>>> This sequence should ensure that the tuner is powered on when the frontend
>>> is attached, and a tuner reset is being performed before the tuner is probed.
>>> However this sequence fails the same way as it did before. I tried to add
>>> timeouts to be sure that the tuner is not probed while it is reset but that
>>> did not help either.
>>>
>>> Right now I really don't know where I should look for the solution of
>>> the problem. It seems that the tuner reset does not have any effect on the
>>> tuner whatsoever.
>>>
>>> Is there anybody who could look at the code, or maybe knows what could be
>>> the cause of the problem? I suspect I am just too blind to see my own mistakes.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Thomas
>>>

>> Cheers Thomas, Hans-Frieder, Antti, Mauro!
>> Hans-Frieder, are you having the same issue with fc0011&af9035?
>> Antti, no tricks up your sleeve?
>> Senhor Mauro, is rtl2832 demod going to be merged?
>>
>> regards,
>> poma
>>
> Hi all,
>
> I will try to solve the issue as soon as I have some spare time. In the meantime I
> asked Realtek if they knew of any problems with the hardware, and I got a GPIO
> list which might help me to solve the problem.
>
> Regrads
> Thomas

Nice to know ;)

@ 2012-07-30  7:06               ` poma
From: poma @ 2012-07-30  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: davidb-git
  Cc: Thomas Mair, Hans-Frieder Vogt, Antti Palosaari, mchehab, linux-media

On 06/27/2012 07:21 AM, Thomas Mair wrote:
> On 26.06.2012 19:17, poma wrote:

>>> I tried a few things regarding the problem today and could find out a
>>> few more details, but could not resolve the issue.
>>>
>>> The GPIO pin configuration for the devices with the fc0012 (and probably
>>> also with the fc0013) tuner is the following:
>>>
>>> GPIO0: demod power
>>> GPIO3: tuner power? (the realtek driver puts this to 1 and never touches it again)
>>> GPIO4: tuner power? (maybe antenna power?)
>>> GPIO5: tuner reset
>>> GPIO6: UHF/VHF band selection
>>>
>>> All of these GPIOs are configured as output. When the device is plugged in
>>> the tuner is powered up correctly, but I am not able to power it up when
>>> a reboot is performed. What I tried was the following:
>>>
>>> - on rtl28xxu_power_ctrl off:
>>>   - GPIO4 = 1 (off)
>>>   - GPIO5 = 0
>>>   - GPIO6 = 0 (default state)
>>>
>>> - on rtl28xxu_power_ctrl on:
>>>   - GPIO3 = 1
>>>   - GPIO4 = 0 (on)
>>>   - GPIO5 = 0
>>>   - GPIO6 = 0 (default state)
>>>
>>> - on rtl2832_frontend_attach:
>>>   - GPIO5 = 1
>>>   - GPIO5 = 0
>>>
>>> This sequence should ensure that the tuner is powered on when the frontend
>>> is attached, and a tuner reset is being performed before the tuner is probed.
>>> However this sequence fails the same way as it did before. I tried to add
>>> timeouts to be sure that the tuner is not probed while it is reset but that
>>> did not help either.
>>>
>>> Right now I really don't know where I should look for the solution of
>>> the problem. It seems that the tuner reset does not have any effect on the
>>> tuner whatsoever.
>>>
>>> Is there anybody who could look at the code, or maybe knows what could be
>>> the cause of the problem? I suspect I am just too blind to see my own mistakes.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Thomas
>>>

>> Cheers Thomas, Hans-Frieder, Antti, Mauro!
>> Hans-Frieder, are you having the same issue with fc0011&af9035?
>> Antti, no tricks up your sleeve?
>> Senhor Mauro, is rtl2832 demod going to be merged?
>>
>> regards,
>> poma
>>
> Hi all,
>
> I will try to solve the issue as soon as I have some spare time. In the meantime I
> asked Realtek if they knew of any problems with the hardware, and I got a GPIO
> list which might help me to solve the problem.
>
> Regrads
> Thomas

This is correspondent code by dbasden - fc0012 for rtl-sdr GPIOs
https://gist.github.com/2171926#120
David, can you help with this tuner issue?
http://git.linuxtv.org/anttip/media_tree.git/blob/3efd26330fda97e06279cbca170ae4a0dee53220:/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/rtl28xxu.c#l898

@ 2012-07-30 10:17                 ` David Basden
From: David Basden @ 2012-07-30 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poma
  Cc: davidb-git, Thomas Mair, Hans-Frieder Vogt, Antti Palosaari,
	mchehab, linux-media

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 09:06:54AM +0200, poma wrote:
> On 06/27/2012 07:21 AM, Thomas Mair wrote:

> >> Cheers Thomas, Hans-Frieder, Antti, Mauro!
> >> Hans-Frieder, are you having the same issue with fc0011&af9035?
> >> Antti, no tricks up your sleeve?
> >> Senhor Mauro, is rtl2832 demod going to be merged?
> >>
> >> regards,
> >> poma
> >>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I will try to solve the issue as soon as I have some spare time. In the meantime I
> > asked Realtek if they knew of any problems with the hardware, and I got a GPIO
> > list which might help me to solve the problem.
> >
> > Regrads
> > Thomas
> >

> This is correspondent code by dbasden - fc0012 for rtl-sdr GPIOs
> https://gist.github.com/2171926#120
> David, can you help with this tuner issue?
> http://git.linuxtv.org/anttip/media_tree.git/blob/3efd26330fda97e06279cbca170ae4a0dee53220:/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/rtl28xxu.c#l898
>
> Cheers,
> poma

It sounds like you're definately on the right track with the GPIO pins for
tuner power and reset lines, especially if it's not making it through the
tuner probe.

The gist you linked to above has since been merged into the rtl-sdr tree,
and the version in there is likely to be a much better reference than the
old patch I had posted: http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr
It reliably brings the rtl and the tuner up from cold, after reboots, and
multiple times without rebooting. Given others have improved it since last
time I looked at the tree, it would be a good place to look for at least
bringing up the tuner.  Given it's not trying to do DVB though, be careful
with any assumptions that the setup of the RTL or tuner past then are going
to be what you're trying to do though; (It's not using the deframing stuff at
all, AGC is likely switched off, and the LNA gain is just set to a fixed
value and left there)

That said, these dongles are really done on a budget, and the hardware
itself can be dodgy in ways that look like software problems. Although
it's not that likely given the way you're able to reproduce, just check:

 - dmesg to make sure the USB device is coming up in hispeed rather fullspeed,
   and that there aren't any problems attaching before it hits the dongle driver
 - It's not hooked up through an unpowered USB extension. Some of them barely
   up regardless
 - The antenna is connected. One of the dongles I have will reliably kill the
   power on my netbook if I plug it in without an antenna connected. The
   implications are rather scary.

all of which can lead to fail when in the middle of bringing up the dongle,
and can look like errors in the tuner init code.

(If you weren't already able to get it working before resetting the dongle
I'd also have suggested checking the tuner onboard your dongle is the one
you think it is; There is much reuse of USB ids with different hardware)

As for bring up the tuner, you'll want to:

 - Setup the RTL etc. and power on the demodulator and tuner

 - Check that it's anything but an FC0012 if you're doing tuner probing
   rather than messing with GPIOs that won't be hooked up that way

 - Explicitly disable the I2C repeater/bridge so the rtl is listening NOT the tuner.

 - Make sure GPIO5 and GPIO6 are both enabled, set to be outputs, and have
   an output value set. i.e.

    o Read the value from GPD, clear bits 0x30, and write the result to GPO
    o Read the value from GPOE, set bits 0x30, and write the result back to GPOE

   GPIO5 is really important, as it's the RESET line, and if it's not setup properly
   it will float, and leave the tuner likely in a bad state

 - Reset the tuner by setting GPIO5 to 1 then 0:

    o Read the value from GPO, set bit 0x20, and write the result back to GPO
    o Read the value from GPO, clear bit 0x20, and write the result back to GPO

 - Enable the I2C repeater to talk to the tuner

 - Probe to check the FC0012 indeed exists (reading from 0xc6,0x00 should give you 0xa1)
   and go on to setup the tuner

Hopefully that will help some.  If it doesn't help enough, let me know, or drop
into ##rtl-sdr on freenode where people are banging their heads against walls daily
seeing how hard they can push rtl2832 dongles to do SDR.

Cheers,

David

* Re: rtl28xxu - rtl2832 frontend attach
@ 2012-07-30 12:56                 ` David Basden
From: David Basden @ 2012-07-30 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poma
  Cc: davidb-git, Thomas Mair, Hans-Frieder Vogt, Antti Palosaari,
	mchehab, linux-media

Can I suggest setting GPIO5 to 1, leave it there, and see if it breaks. If it
doesn't, GPIO5 on the RTL isn't setup correctly somehow.

At the same time, I was rereading code from:

http://git.linuxtv.org/anttip/media_tree.git/blob/3efd26330fda97e06279cbca170ae4a0dee53220:/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/rtl28xxu.c#l898

and at no point is GPIO5 actually set to an output or enabled that I can find.
rtl2832u_frontend_attach skips doing so. (Actually, I seem to remember running
into this problem while trying to use some DVB driver code as an example of
how to setup the RTL to talk to the FC0012)

Try giving the patch below a go. Sorry, I don't have a build environment to
hand, so there might be a typo I haven't picked up, but the upshot is that
I'm moving the FC0012 detection to the end, setting up GPIO5, resetting the
tuner and then trying to probe for the FC0012.

Please let me know if this helps :)

David

--- a/rtl28xxu.c	2012-07-30 22:31:53.789638678 +1000
+++ b/rtl28xxu.c	2012-07-30 22:48:35.774607232 +1000
@@ -550,15 +550,6 @@

 	priv->tuner = TUNER_NONE;

-	/* check FC0012 ID register; reg=00 val=a1 */
-	ret = rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg(adap->dev, &req_fc0012);
-	if (ret == 0 && buf[0] == 0xa1) {
-		priv->tuner = TUNER_RTL2832_FC0012;
-		rtl2832_config = &rtl28xxu_rtl2832_fc0012_config;
-		info("%s: FC0012 tuner found", __func__);
-		goto found;
-	}
-
 	/* check FC0013 ID register; reg=00 val=a3 */
 	ret = rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg(adap->dev, &req_fc0013);
 	if (ret == 0 && buf[0] == 0xa3) {
@@ -640,6 +631,71 @@
 		goto unsupported;
 	}

+	/* If it's a FC0012, we need to bring GPIO5/RESET
+	   out of floating or it's not going to show up.
+	   We set GPIO5 to an output, enable the output, then
+	   reset the tuner by bringing GPIO5 high then low again.
+
+	   We're testing this last so that we don't accidentally
+	   mess with other hardware that wouldn't like us messing
+	   with whatever is connected to the rtl2832's GPIO5
+	*/
+
+	/* close demod I2C gate */
+	ret = rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg(adap->dev, &req_gate_close);
+	if (ret)
+		goto err;
+
+	/* Set GPIO5 to be an output */
+	ret = rtl28xx_rd_reg(adap->dev, SYS_GPIO_DIR, &val);
+	if (ret)
+		goto err;
+
+	val &= 0xdf;
+	ret = rtl28xx_wr_reg(adap->dev, SYS_GPIO_DIR, val);
+	if (ret)
+		goto err;
+
+	/* enable as output GPIO5 */
+	ret = rtl28xx_rd_reg(adap->dev, SYS_GPIO_OUT_EN, &val);
+	if (ret)
+		goto err;
+
+	val |= 0x20;
+	ret = rtl28xx_wr_reg(adap->dev, SYS_GPIO_OUT_EN, val);
+	if (ret)
+		goto err;
+
+	/* set GPIO5 high to reset fc0012 (if it exists) */
+	ret = rtl28xx_rd_reg(adap->dev, SYS_GPIO_OUT_VAL, &val);
+	if (ret)
+		goto err;
+
+	val |= 0x20;
+	ret = rtl28xx_wr_reg(adap->dev, SYS_GPIO_OUT_VAL, val);
+	if (ret)
+		goto err;
+
+	/* bring GPIO5 low again after reset */
+	val &= 0xdf;
+	ret = rtl28xx_wr_reg(adap->dev, SYS_GPIO_OUT_VAL, val);
+	if (ret)
+		goto err;
+
+	/* re-open demod I2C gate */
+	ret = rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg(adap->dev, &req_gate_open);
+	if (ret)
+		goto err;
+
+	/* check FC0012 ID register; reg=00 val=a1 */
+	ret = rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg(adap->dev, &req_fc0012);
+	if (ret == 0 && buf[0] == 0xa1) {
+		priv->tuner = TUNER_RTL2832_FC0012;
+		rtl2832_config = &rtl28xxu_rtl2832_fc0012_config;
+		info("%s: FC0012 tuner found", __func__);
+		goto found;
+	}
+
 unsupported:

@ 2012-07-30 15:58                   ` poma
From: poma @ 2012-07-30 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Basden
  Cc: Thomas Mair, Hans-Frieder Vogt, Antti Palosaari,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab, linux-media

On 07/30/2012 12:17 PM, David Basden wrote:
> [...]
>     o Read the value from GPOE, set bits 0x30, and write the result back to GPOE
>
>    GPIO5 is really important, as it's the RESET line, and if it's not setup properly
>    it will float, and leave the tuner likely in a bad state
>
>  - Reset the tuner by setting GPIO5 to 1 then 0:
>
>     o Read the value from GPO, set bit 0x20, and write the result back to GPO
>     o Read the value from GPO, clear bit 0x20, and write the result back to GPO
>
>  - Enable the I2C repeater to talk to the tuner
>
>  - Probe to check the FC0012 indeed exists (reading from 0xc6,0x00 should give you 0xa1)
>    and go on to setup the tuner
>
> Hopefully that will help some.  If it doesn't help enough, let me know, or drop
> into ##rtl-sdr on freenode where people are banging their heads against walls daily
> seeing how hard they can push rtl2832 dongles to do SDR.

Cheers David,
Thank you for your thorough explanation and participation!
Greetings to you and rtl-sdr folks ;)
Please follow my second reply…

@ 2012-07-30 17:07                   ` poma
From: poma @ 2012-07-30 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Basden
  Cc: Thomas Mair, Hans-Frieder Vogt, Antti Palosaari,

On 07/30/2012 02:56 PM, David Basden wrote:

> [...]
> +	ret = rtl28xx_wr_reg(adap->dev, SYS_GPIO_OUT_VAL, val);
> +	if (ret)
> +		goto err;
> +
> +	/* re-open demod I2C gate */
> +	ret = rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg(adap->dev, &req_gate_open);
> +	if (ret)
> +		goto err;
> +
> +	/* check FC0012 ID register; reg=00 val=a1 */
> +	ret = rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg(adap->dev, &req_fc0012);
> +	if (ret == 0 && buf[0] == 0xa1) {
> +		priv->tuner = TUNER_RTL2832_FC0012;
> +		rtl2832_config = &rtl28xxu_rtl2832_fc0012_config;
> +		info("%s: FC0012 tuner found", __func__);
> +		goto found;
> +	}
> +
>  unsupported:
>  	/* close demod I2C gate */
>  	ret = rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg(adap->dev, &req_gate_close);

…sorry for the delay,
After applied patch no luck - in attach is dmesg for working original
Realtek driver(dvb_usb_rtl2832), and second one(dvb-usb-rtl28xxu)
rtl2832 part by Thomas with tuner issue, still not working.
Most intriguing is tuner get stucked by tuning(t-zapping)!

Cheers,
poma

ps.
Thank you so far, really thorough explanation!

[-- Attachment #2: dvb-usb-rtl28xxu-dmesg.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2143 bytes --]

dvb-usb-rtl28xxu-dmesg.txt
…
rtl28xxu_module_init:
rtl28xxu_probe: interface=0
check for warm bda 2831
check for warm 14aa 160
check for warm 14aa 161
something went very wrong, device was not found in current device list - let's see what comes next.
check for warm ccd a9
check for warm 1f4d b803
dvb-usb: found a 'G-Tek Electronics Group Lifeview LV5TDLX DVB-T' in warm state.
power control: 1
rtl2832u_power_ctrl: onoff=1
dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
all in all I will use 24576 bytes for streaming
allocating buffer 0
buffer 0: ffff8800cf827000 (dma: 3481432064)
allocating buffer 1
buffer 1: ffff8800cf828000 (dma: 3481436160)
allocating buffer 2
buffer 2: ffff8800cf829000 (dma: 3481440256)
allocating buffer 3
buffer 3: ffff8800cf82a000 (dma: 3481444352)
allocating buffer 4
buffer 4: ffff8800cf82b000 (dma: 3481448448)
allocating buffer 5
buffer 5: ffff8800cf82c000 (dma: 3481452544)
allocation successful
DVB: registering new adapter (G-Tek Electronics Group Lifeview LV5TDLX DVB-T)
DVB: register adapter0/demux0 @ minor: 0 (0x00)
DVB: register adapter0/dvr0 @ minor: 1 (0x01)
DVB: register adapter0/net0 @ minor: 2 (0x02)
rtl2832u_frontend_attach:
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
rtl28xxu_ctrl_msg: failed=-32
No compatible tuner found
dvb-usb: no frontend was attached by 'G-Tek Electronics Group Lifeview LV5TDLX DVB-T'
Registered IR keymap rc-empty
input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.1/usb2/2-3/rc/rc0/input12
rc0: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.1/usb2/2-3/rc/rc0
dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 400 msecs.
power control: 0
rtl2832u_power_ctrl: onoff=0
dvb-usb: G-Tek Electronics Group Lifeview LV5TDLX DVB-T successfully initialized and connected.
rtl28xxu_probe: interface=1
usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_rtl28xxu
…

[-- Attachment #3: dvb_usb_rtl2832-dmesg.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 5194 bytes --]

dvb_usb_rtl2832-dmesg.txt
…
+info debug open_rtl2832u_usb_module_init
dvb-usb: found a 'DVB-T TV Stick' in warm state.
dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
DVB: registering new adapter (DVB-T TV Stick)
DVB: register adapter0/demux0 @ minor: 0 (0x00)
DVB: register adapter0/dvr0 @ minor: 1 (0x01)
DVB: register adapter0/net0 @ minor: 2 (0x02)
+rtl2832u_fe_attach : chialing 0409-1
 +usb_init_setting
 +usb_init_bulk_setting
RTL2832U usb_init_bulk_setting : USB2.0 HIGH SPEED (480Mb/s)
 -usb_init_bulk_setting
 +usb_epa_fifo_reset
 -usb_epa_fifo_reset
 -usb_init_setting
 +gpio3_out_setting
 -gpio3_out_setting
 +demod_ctl1_setting
 -demod_ctl1_setting
 +suspend_latch_setting
 -suspend_latch_setting
 +demod_ctl_setting
 -demod_ctl_setting
 +set_tuner_power
 -set_tuner_power
 +check_tuner_type
error!! read_rtl2832_tuner_register: ret=-32, DA=0xc0, len=1, offset=0x0, data=(
0xf8,
)
error!! read_rtl2832_tuner_register: ret=-32, DA=0xac, len=1, offset=0x1, data=(
0xf8,
)
error!! read_rtl2832_tuner_register: ret=-32, DA=0xc0, len=1, offset=0x0, data=(
0xf8,
)
error!! read_rtl2832_tuner_register: ret=-32, DA=0xc0, len=1, offset=0x0, data=(
0xf8,
)
error!! read_rtl2832_tuner_register: ret=-32, DA=0xc0, len=2, offset=0x7e, data=(
0xf8,
0xd,
)
error try= 1!! write_rtl2832_stdi2c: ret=-32, DA=0xc0, len=2, data=(
0xfb,
0xd9,
)
error try= 2!! write_rtl2832_stdi2c: ret=-32, DA=0xc0, len=2, data=(
0xfb,
0xd9,
)
error try= 3!! write_rtl2832_stdi2c: ret=-32, DA=0xc0, len=2, data=(
0xfb,
0xd9,
)
error try= 4!! write_rtl2832_stdi2c: ret=-32, DA=0xc0, len=2, data=(
0xfb,
0xd9,
)
error try= 5!! write_rtl2832_stdi2c: ret=-32, DA=0xc0, len=2, data=(
0xfb,
0xd9,
)
error try= 1!! read_rtl2832_stdi2c: ret=-32, DA=0xc0, len=1, data=(
0x8,
)
error try= 2!! read_rtl2832_stdi2c: ret=-32, DA=0xc0, len=1, data=(
0x8,
)
error try= 3!! read_rtl2832_stdi2c: ret=-32, DA=0xc0, len=1, data=(
0x8,
)
error try= 4!! read_rtl2832_stdi2c: ret=-32, DA=0xc0, len=1, data=(
0x8,
)
error try= 5!! read_rtl2832_stdi2c: ret=-32, DA=0xc0, len=1, data=(
0x8,
)
RTL2832U check_tuner_type : FC0012 tuner on board...
 +check_dtmb_support
 +set_demod_2836_power  onoff = 1
error!! read_demod_register: ret=-32, DA=0x3e, len=1, page=0, offset=0x1, data=(
0xa0,
)
 -set_demod_2836_power  onoff = 1 fail
error!! read_demod_register: ret=-32, DA=0x3e, len=2, page=5, offset=0x10, data=(
0xfb,
0xd9,
)
 -check_dtmb_support  RTL2836 NOT FOUND.....
 +set_demod_2836_power  onoff = 0
error!! read_demod_register: ret=-32, DA=0x3e, len=1, page=0, offset=0x1, data=(
0xa0,
)
 -set_demod_2836_power  onoff = 0 fail
 -check_dtmb_support
 +check_dvbc_support
 +set_demod_2840_power  onoff = 1
 +rtl2840_on_hwreset
error!! read_demod_register: ret=-32, DA=0x44, len=1, page=0, offset=0x1, data=(
0x25,
)
error!! read_demod_register: ret=-32, DA=0x44, len=1, page=0, offset=0x1, data=(
0x25,
)
 +rtl2840_on_hwreset  Page 0, addr 0x01 = 0x25
error!! read_demod_register: ret=-32, DA=0x44, len=1, page=0, offset=0x1, data=(
0x25,
)
 +rtl2840_on_hwreset  Page 0, addr 0x01 = 0x25
 -rtl2840_on_hwreset
error!! read_demod_register: ret=-32, DA=0x44, len=1, page=0, offset=0x4, data=(
0x25,
)
error try = 1!! write_demod_register: ret=-32, DA=0x44, len=1, page=0, offset=0x4, data=(
0xa5,
)
error try = 2!! write_demod_register: ret=-32, DA=0x44, len=1, page=0, offset=0x4, data=(
0xa5,
)
error try = 3!! write_demod_register: ret=-32, DA=0x44, len=1, page=0, offset=0x4, data=(
0xa5,
)
error try = 4!! write_demod_register: ret=-32, DA=0x44, len=1, page=0, offset=0x4, data=(
0xa5,
)
error try = 5!! write_demod_register: ret=-32, DA=0x44, len=1, page=0, offset=0x4, data=(
0xa5,
)
 -set_demod_2840_power  onoff = 1
error!! read_demod_register: ret=-32, DA=0x44, len=1, page=0, offset=0x4, data=(
0x10,
)
 -check_dvbc_support  RTL2840 NOT FOUND.....
 +set_demod_2840_power  onoff = 0
[...]
 -check_dvbc_support
demod_type is 0
 +build_nim_module
 +build_2832_nim_module
 build_2832_nim_module BuildRtl2832Fc0012Module
 -build_2832_nim_module
 -build_nim_module
-rtl2832u_fe_attach
dvb_register_frontend
DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Realtek DVB-T RTL2832)...
DVB: register adapter0/frontend0 @ minor: 3 (0x03)
dvb_frontend_clear_cache() Clearing cache for delivery system 3
input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.1/usb2/2-3/input/input13
dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 287 msecs.
dvb-usb: DVB-T TV Stick successfully initialized and connected.
usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_rtl2832u
…

* Re: rtl28xxu - rtl2832 frontend attach
@ 2012-07-31 11:42                     ` poma
From: poma @ 2012-07-31 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Basden
  Cc: Thomas Mair, Hans-Frieder Vogt, Antti Palosaari,