From: David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no>
To: Bar Ziony <bartzy@gmail.com>
Cc: linux-raid@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Does mdadm supports TRIM command to SSDs?
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 16:54:08 +0200	[thread overview]

On 07/11/2012 01:49 PM, Bar Ziony wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for the info, it's very assuring to know that TRIM is not needed.

There are some benchmarks that indicate improvement with TRIM, but I
think it is overrated, and there are many cases where it makes things
worse.  If TRIM had been implemented properly (such as being
asynchronous and working with the command queue) it would have been much
more useful - but unfortunately it was made as a rush job to minimise
the ageing effects seen with early SSDs.

> We bought Samsung 830 256GB SSDs, and as I understood, they're very
> good, but their GC is only when the device is idling, and they will be
> installed on a DB server. I don't know if they'll be idle for long
> periods.

There is always some idle time, even on a busy database server.  If not,
then you probably need more ram in the server!

> Do you perhaps know if we need to over-provision modern SSDs like the
> Samsung 830's ?

There is a fair amount of variation in the over-provisioning SSDs have -
you'd have to read the specs for the drives in question.  And if the
drives have compressing controllers, they will effectively have more
over-provisioning if your data is easily compressible.  However, if you
don't need all the space on the disks, then it's easy to add more
over-provisioning - you simply leave part of the disk out of the
partitioning (but make sure you do that before the disk is used, or
after a complete wipe).