* [Buildroot] Serious time jump bug found in gpsd 3.20+
@ 2021-08-05 20:09 Robert Hancock via buildroot
From: Robert Hancock via buildroot @ 2021-08-05 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot; +Cc: bernd.kuhls

A heads up to the Buildroot community about a significant bug that has been
found in versions 3.20 and newer of the gpsd package, and which is fixed in
version 3.23 (not yet released, supposed to be shortly):

https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/issues/144

This will cause the calculated GPS time (and NTP time, if synchronizing to it)
to jump from 2021 back to 2002 when GPS week 2180 arrives on October 24, 2021,
with potentially disastrous results for applications depending on accurate time
keeping.

A patch has now been added to the gpsd repository to fix it (note that the
commit message incorrectly refers to 2020 rather than 2021 as pointed out by a
commenter):
https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/commit/7f30d88d04dc62b8bd6265ad1d09d72d220f97f6

I am not sure if the best solution for Buildroot is to just update the package
when released, or apply the specific patch to fix the issue? Currently
Buildroot master is on 3.21 and the 2021.02.x LTS branch is on 3.20, both of
which are affected.

--
Robert Hancock
Senior Hardware Designer, Calian Advanced Technologies

* Re: [Buildroot] Serious time jump bug found in gpsd 3.20+
@ 2021-08-05 20:26 ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2021-08-05 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Hancock, buildroot; +Cc: bernd.kuhls, Peter Korsgaard

On 05/08/2021 22:09, Robert Hancock via buildroot wrote:
> A heads up to the Buildroot community about a significant bug that has been
> found in versions 3.20 and newer of the gpsd package, and which is fixed in
> version 3.23 (not yet released, supposed to be shortly):
>
> https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/issues/144
>
> This will cause the calculated GPS time (and NTP time, if synchronizing to it)
> to jump from 2021 back to 2002 when GPS week 2180 arrives on October 24, 2021,
> with potentially disastrous results for applications depending on accurate time
> keeping.
>
> A patch has now been added to the gpsd repository to fix it (note that the
> commit message incorrectly refers to 2020 rather than 2021 as pointed out by a
> commenter):
> https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/commit/7f30d88d04dc62b8bd6265ad1d09d72d220f97f6
>
> I am not sure if the best solution for Buildroot is to just update the package
> when released, or apply the specific patch to fix the issue? Currently
> Buildroot master is on 3.21 and the 2021.02.x LTS branch is on 3.20, both of
> which are affected.

 For master, I think we can still afford to update to 3.23.

 For 2021.05.x and 2021.02.x, we'll need to backport the patch. Unless if Peter
thinks that in this case (since upstream's policy is "always update to latest")
it's OK to just bump it there as well?

 Regards,
 Arnout

* Re: [Buildroot] Serious time jump bug found in gpsd 3.20+
@ 2021-08-05 20:29   ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2021-08-05 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Hancock, buildroot; +Cc: bernd.kuhls, Peter Korsgaard

On 05/08/2021 22:26, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

> On 05/08/2021 22:09, Robert Hancock via buildroot wrote:
>> A heads up to the Buildroot community about a significant bug that has been
>> found in versions 3.20 and newer of the gpsd package, and which is fixed in
>> version 3.23 (not yet released, supposed to be shortly):
>>
>> https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/issues/144
>>
>> This will cause the calculated GPS time (and NTP time, if synchronizing to it)
>> to jump from 2021 back to 2002 when GPS week 2180 arrives on October 24, 2021,
>> with potentially disastrous results for applications depending on accurate time
>> keeping.
>>
>> A patch has now been added to the gpsd repository to fix it (note that the
>> commit message incorrectly refers to 2020 rather than 2021 as pointed out by a
>> commenter):
>> https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/commit/7f30d88d04dc62b8bd6265ad1d09d72d220f97f6
>>
>> I am not sure if the best solution for Buildroot is to just update the package
>> when released, or apply the specific patch to fix the issue? Currently
>> Buildroot master is on 3.21 and the 2021.02.x LTS branch is on 3.20, both of
>> which are affected.
>
>  For master, I think we can still afford to update to 3.23.
>
>  For 2021.05.x and 2021.02.x, we'll need to backport the patch. Unless if Peter
> thinks that in this case (since upstream's policy is "always update to latest")
> it's OK to just bump it there as well?

 Forget about bumping the stable branches - the bump to 3.21 deprecates some
options, and we can't do that on the stable branches.

 Regards,
 Arnout

* Re: [Buildroot] Serious time jump bug found in gpsd 3.20+
@ 2021-08-06 20:55   ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2021-08-06 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnout Vandecappelle
  Cc: bernd.kuhls, Robert Hancock, Peter Korsgaard, buildroot

Hi,

 >> I am not sure if the best solution for Buildroot is to just update the package
 >> when released, or apply the specific patch to fix the issue? Currently
 >> Buildroot master is on 3.21 and the 2021.02.x LTS branch is on 3.20, both of
 >> which are affected.

 >  For master, I think we can still afford to update to 3.23.

 >  For 2021.05.x and 2021.02.x, we'll need to backport the patch. Unless if Peter
 > thinks that in this case (since upstream's policy is "always update to latest")
 > it's OK to just bump it there as well?

The patch kind of looks big and scary to me, so I would prefer to move
to 3.23 for the stable branches as well.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* Re: [Buildroot] Serious time jump bug found in gpsd 3.20+
@ 2021-08-06 20:56     ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2021-08-06 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnout Vandecappelle
  Cc: bernd.kuhls, Robert Hancock, Peter Korsgaard, buildroot

Hi,

 >> For master, I think we can still afford to update to 3.23.
 >>
 >> For 2021.05.x and 2021.02.x, we'll need to backport the patch. Unless if Peter
 >> thinks that in this case (since upstream's policy is "always update to latest")
 >> it's OK to just bump it there as well?

 >  Forget about bumping the stable branches - the bump to 3.21 deprecates some
 > options, and we can't do that on the stable branches.

:/

It would be great if someone who actually knows and uses gpsd could send
a backport patch for 2021.02.x.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard