From: Kaartic Sivaraam <kaartic.sivaraam@gmail.com>
To: Atharva Raykar <raykar.ath@gmail.com>
Cc: git <git@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [GSoC] My Git Dev Blog - Week 3
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 00:25:46 +0530	[thread overview]

Hi Atharva,

On 06/06/21 5:56 pm, Atharva Raykar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is my latest instalment in my weekly Git blog:
> http://atharvaraykar.me/gitnotes/week3

Nice post!

> My not-so-well-read guess: Some users want certain submodules
> active in one worktree, but not the other. For that, there
> presumably exists a per-worktree configuration, and the current
> implementation just assumes a configuration that applies to the
> full repo. Changing this is definitely a patch for some other time.

I get to the same presumption. You could try exploring worktrees more to
confirm as you point out. You could also try Cc-ing people who you think
would have an idea of this. 'git blame' could you here.

 > A painful merge

You don't mention which branches you were trying to merge but
from the context I sort of figured out it was the
'submodule-add-in-c-add-config-v2' and
'submodule-add-in-c-add-clone-v3' branches in your repository:
https://github.com/tfidfwastaken/git/

You mention trying 'recursive' strategy. Given this isn't a
fast-forward merge, I would've expected it to be one that would've
been triggered by default. Was that not the case for you?

Also, which version of Git did you use to do the merge ?

I tried reproducing the merge and it's indeed interesting that
even '-Xpatience' didn't do the trick.

> I still wonder how non-Emacs users deal with situations like these.

Git lets you invoke external merge tools which could help you resolve
merge conflicts in a easy way. See mergetool doc [1] to get an idea
about it. `git mergetool --tool-help` would give you a list of supported
tools. In your case, I happened to notice that P4Merge[2] does a good
job of properly resolving the conflict by itself.

[1]: https://www.git-scm.com/docs/git-mergetool
[2]:
https://www.perforce.com/products/helix-core-apps/merge-diff-tool-p4merge

Speaking of resolving conflicts, there's also rerere [3] which should
save you from having to resolve the same conflict again and again.

[3]: https://www.git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Tools-Rerere

> So I’m glad there’s the reflog.

Now that you've learned about and used reflog, I thought I'll let you
know about `git fsck --lost-found` [4] in case it might come in handy
someday ;-)

[4]:
https://git-scm.com/docs/git-fsck#Documentation/git-fsck.txt---lost-found

> Have a great weekend, and stay safe!