* Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday June 22
@ 2022-06-22 15:19 Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2022-06-22 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

This is a reminder of the OpenBMC Security Working Group meeting
scheduled for this Wednesday June 22 at 10:00am PDT.

We'll discuss the following items on the agenda
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b7x9BaxsfcukQDqbvZsU2ehMq4xoJRQvLxxsDUWmAOI>,
and anything else that comes up:

1. Cancel July 6 meeting?
2. Continue discussion securing Linux internals (like with SELinux).

Access, agenda and notes are in the wiki:
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Security-working-group
<https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Security-working-group>

- Joseph

* Re: Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday June 22 - results
@ 2022-06-22 18:20 ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2022-06-22 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

On 6/22/22 10:19 AM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> This is a reminder of the OpenBMC Security Working Group meeting
> scheduled for this Wednesday June 22 at 10:00am PDT.
>
> We'll discuss the following items on the agenda
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b7x9BaxsfcukQDqbvZsU2ehMq4xoJRQvLxxsDUWmAOI>,
> and anything else that comes up:

Attendees: Daniil Engranov, Russel Wilson, Yutaka Sugawara, Ruud Haring,
James Mihm, Joseph Reynolds

1 Agreed to cancel July 6 due to US holiday week

2 CVE management.

Intel’s internal hack-a-thon 3 was held in May 2022.  Working toward
private disclosure to OpenBMC SRT.

Next steps: James will set up a private meeting with the OpenBMC
security response team (SRT) to write some privately-disclosed
vulnerabilities to the private issues database.

3 Measured boot

Measured boot writes firmware images to TPM

There is an effort to enable measured boot for ASPEED AST2600 platforms
with a TPM attached to the BMC (distinct from host TPM).

Current work: Working toward measured boot  for U-boot.

Pre-requisite work: Openbmc’s ASPEED UBoot was forked and is about 1000
commits old and will need to be updated because it does not have new
features needed.

Will need a design for this.  Design to cover:

  *

    Enable the mechanism to push measurements into the TPM.  The design
    may have parts which are specific to AST2600.

  *

    Describe which pieces get measured: SPL(?), U-boot image, kernel
    image, readonly file system.

  *

    Enable network agents (like keylime server, possibly the host
    system) to get measurements from TPM.  Note the measurements are
    digitally signed by the TPM to ensure their integrity.

  *

    Intent to comply with OCP standards.

The design will omit policy questions: Use cases for the attestation
data, keylime or other servers, policy questions about what to do when
attestation fails.

Example policy when BMC goes bad (fails attest): BMC is isolated from
its management network?  From host control?  External agent is notified,
e.g., datacenter admin, who will then isolate the BMC and schedule it to
be replaced.

Consider two underlying use cases: BMC management agent is (1)
network-based or (2) host-based.  The intent to enable use case 1.  Use
case 2 may be problematic when the policy is to isolate the BMC from its
host, but nothing in the design is intended to block this use case.

4 Progress on SELinux

Still working on SELinux design (Ruud): implementation work continues to
help the design.

Implementation progress (Yutaka): Enabled SELinux on AST2600 using Yocto
Kirkstone version.  BMC boots in selinux permissive mode and basic
commands work.  The initial readonly flash size increase is 20Mb, (was
16Mb, now is 16+20Mb = 36Mb total on flash).  Will look into
configuration changes to reduce the size.

Will need a later/updated version of busybox which has SELinux features
enabled.

Starting to define policy for basic BMC workloads.

-Joseph

@ 2022-06-22 20:24   ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2022-06-22 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reynolds; +Cc: openbmc

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 01:20:48PM -0500, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> On 6/22/22 10:19 AM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> 3 Measured boot

>     Enable network agents (like keylime server, possibly the host
>     system) to get measurements from TPM.  Note the measurements are
>     digitally signed by the TPM to ensure their integrity.

Is there any work going on to define some kind of measurement schema in
Redfish?  Last I knew this was absent.

--
Patrick Williams

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday June 22 - results - BMC-attached TPM
@ 2022-06-22 21:23     ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2022-06-22 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams; +Cc: openbmc

On 6/22/22 3:24 PM, Patrick Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 01:20:48PM -0500, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
>> On 6/22/22 10:19 AM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
>> 3 Measured boot
>>      Enable network agents (like keylime server, possibly the host
>>      system) to get measurements from TPM.  Note the measurements are
>>      digitally signed by the TPM to ensure their integrity.
> Is there any work going on to define some kind of measurement schema in
> Redfish?  Last I knew this was absent.

Thanks for the reminder.  I started a thread for this:
https://redfishforum.com/thread/685/support-bmc-attached-tpm

-Joseph

* Re: Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday June 22 - results - BMC-attached TPM
@ 2022-06-22 22:16       ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2022-06-22 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reynolds; +Cc: openbmc

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 04:23:41PM -0500, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> On 6/22/22 3:24 PM, Patrick Williams wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 01:20:48PM -0500, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> >> On 6/22/22 10:19 AM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> >> 3 Measured boot
> >>      Enable network agents (like keylime server, possibly the host
> >>      system) to get measurements from TPM.  Note the measurements are
> >>      digitally signed by the TPM to ensure their integrity.
> > Is there any work going on to define some kind of measurement schema in
> > Redfish?  Last I knew this was absent.
>
> Thanks for the reminder.  I started a thread for this:
> https://redfishforum.com/thread/685/support-bmc-attached-tpm

Sounds good.

You mentioned there the "TrustedModules" type.  It doesn't seem like
this exposes measurements currently?  Am I misunderstanding?  That seems
pretty important for our use case.

--

@ 2022-06-24  0:17         ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2022-06-24  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams; +Cc: openbmc

On 6/22/22 5:16 PM, Patrick Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 04:23:41PM -0500, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
>>> Is there any work going on to define some kind of measurement schema in
>>> Redfish?  Last I knew this was absent.
>> Thanks for the reminder.  I started a thread for this:
>> https://redfishforum.com/thread/685/support-bmc-attached-tpm
> Sounds good.
>
> You mentioned there the "TrustedModules" type.  It doesn't seem like
> this exposes measurements currently?  Am I misunderstanding?  That seems
> pretty important for our use case.

Thanks.  I've edited/appended the post to clarify that we need to
enhance the TrustedModule schema so we can GET the TPM's measurements.

-Joseph

* Re: Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday June 22 - results - BMC-attached TPM
@ 2022-06-24  9:27           ` Ratan Gupta
From: Ratan Gupta @ 2022-06-24  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reynolds; +Cc: openbmc

Hi Joseph,

Did you check the
https://redfish.dmtf.org/schemas/ComponentIntegrity.v1_1_0.json?

Regards
Ratan Gupta

@ 2022-06-28  1:29             ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2022-06-28  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ratan Gupta; +Cc: openbmc

On 6/24/22 4:27 AM, Ratan Gupta wrote:
> Hi Joseph, Did you check
> the https://redfish.dmtf.org/schemas/ComponentIntegrity.v1_1_0.json?
> Regards Ratan Gupta On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 5:48 AM Joseph Reynolds
> <jrey@linux.ibm.com> wrote: On 6/22/22 5:16 PM, Patrick Williams wrote:
> ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
> This Message Is From an External Sender
> This message came from outside your organization.
> ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
> Hi Joseph,
>
> Did you check the
> https://redfish.dmtf.org/schemas/ComponentIntegrity.v1_1_0.json?

I was unaware of the ComponentIntegrity schema.  Thanks for your help!
That answers the question.
I replied to the forum post as well.

-Joseph