On 2018-06-06 16:46, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote: > On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 01:44:02PM +0200, Max Reitz wrote: >> Because it's a hack, right. Storing binary data in a qcow2 file, >> completely ignoring it in qemu (and being completely unusable to any >> potential other users of the qcow2 format[1]) and only interpreting it >> somewhere up the stack is a hack. > > It's just a first step and it ensures compatibility with old QEMU > versions. But down the road I think we will start warning > user if the machine type does not match, and possibly even > get the type from there if user didn't supply it. If it's a first step we should have an idea on what the following steps should be. I don't want people to convince me that adding a blob to qcow2 is a good idea because "we are only going to store two or three values!" and then that blob grows out of control because "well, now we have it anyway". Max