On 7/19/21 3:17 PM, Dan Carpenter wrote: > On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 11:39:16AM +0800, kernel test robot wrote: >> drivers/input/joydev.c: In function 'joydev_handle_JSIOCSAXMAP': >> drivers/input/joydev.c:451:16: warning: comparison of integer expressions of different signedness: 'int' and 'size_t' {aka 'long unsigned int'} [-Wsign-compare] >> 451 | for (i = 0; i < len && i < joydev->nabs; i++) { > We should figure out a way to turn this warning off in the compiler. > > It's a stupid warning. It never fixes any bugs. It sometimes > introduces bugs. > > In the kernel if you are in drivers/ and you have a loop which iterates > over 2 million times that's probably a bug. But GCC is very very > stupid and not designed to be a static analysis tool. It does not know > which loops can iterate more than 2 million times. Even when it knows > that the loop only loops up to 5 or 10 times it still warns that maybe > it will loop over 2 million times. INSULTS AND DISPARAGEMENT! > > Seriously, please disable this warning unless you can point to one > single bug that it has fixed. Hi Dan, Thanks for the explanation, we'll stop reporting this warning. Best Regards, Rong Chen > > regards, > dan carpenter