On 08/07/2012 06:19 AM, Christian Borntraeger wrote: > 2nd attempt, with mailing lists on cc.... > This patch reminded us of another thing that we have been working on. > Here is a patch that sits in my patch queue and disables usb for s390 > We have not pushed that patch yet, since several libvirt versions will always > specify -usb, which will then break. You are correct that older libvirt always specified -usb; but with the upcoming libvirt 0.10.0, we have fixed things to now allow the user to request starting without -usb. > > So are there any opinions about handling the usb option for platforms that > actually dont support it? Libvirt should probably learn which platforms don't support it and automatically omit the -usb without user intervention on those platforms, but at least we have the fallback to explicitly avoid the -usb now. Knowing which platforms support usb might be easier if there were some QMP query-* command that could be used to learn whether a particular machine type supports it. That is, since this series is adding the new syntax '-machine type=pseries,usb=off', libvirt should be able to query '-machine type=pseries,?' to see what options the given machine has, and preferably through a QMP interface rather than through the command line. -- Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com +1-919-301-3266 Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org