From: Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>
To: David Rientjes <rientjes@google.com>
Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@redhat.com>,
	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>,
	linux-media@vger.kernel.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL for 3.6-rc1] media updates part 2
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:13:41 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

On 08/09/2012 10:03 PM, David Rientjes wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>
>> Yeah, that would work as well, although the code would look uglier.
>> IMHO, using select/depend is better.
>>

> Agreed, I think it should be "depends on LEDS_CLASS" rather than select
> it if there is a hard dependency that cannot be fixed with extracting the
> led support in the driver to #ifdef CONFIG_LEDS_CLASS code.

The led support could be #ifdef CONFIG_LEDS_CLASS, the problem with that
approach is the whole module versus build-in thing:

led-class	shark		enable-led-support
build-in	build-in	yes
build-in	module		yes
module		build-in	no
module		module		yes

Now this can be coded into #ifdef magic, but it won't be pretty,
of course we only need the non pretty version once at the top
to set a SHARK_USE_LEDS define, but still.

I'm fine with either solution (depends or ifdef magic), although
I think that people will get unpleasantly surprised if they want
to use the shark driver and they don't get to see it in the
menu because they don't have leds enabled.

Regards,

Hans