It looks like vstart.sh does not work without authx enabled. Given that, I'd propose to change the default to having cephx be enabled and then use the -x flag to disable cephx. Interestingly enough, the help output for vstart.sh already states that the -x flag disables authx (which is not the case at present, but is after this patch is applied). I've attached a patch to vstart that 1) changes the mention of authx to cephx for consistency and 2) defaults vstart.sh to using cephx with the -x flag now serving to disable cephx. Best, -Joe Buck