On 2012-11-02 13:09, Archit Taneja wrote: > On Friday 02 November 2012 04:19 PM, Tomi Valkeinen wrote: >> On 2012-11-02 12:44, Archit Taneja wrote: >> >>> Hmm, that makes sense. Anyway, I don't think it's really bad if we refer >>> to dssdev->channel for now. >> >> It is, because dssdev->channel doesn't exist with DT. >> >> With DT we either need to figure out the channel in omapdss at runtime, >> or add a property to the DT data telling the channel. And adding such a >> property is not correct, as DT should be about describing the HW. > > Ok. > > I don't totally agree with your idea of figuring out the manager in > panel the panel's probe. If it's done in the panel driver's probe > itself, then by this point of time we have already set > mgr->output->device links. If omapdss only does this stuff, then Hmm, I'm not sure I understand what's your point above? If figuring out the mgr is done in panel's probe, the mgr->output link is not yet made before that time. > omapfb/omapdrm have just the job of connecting the overlays to the > manager. Do you think that's okay? Yes, that's how I think it should be. I don't see why omapfb/omapdrm should care about which manager is being used for the output, it doesn't really matter as long there is one and it works. Then again, I don't have anything against omapfb/omapdrm choosing the manager, but I don't see how they would have any better idea of which manager to use than omapdss. But as doing the connections at probe time is a bit problematic, perhaps we should have a new step in this whole sequence. Something like "connect" or whatever, which would lock the required blocks in the whole pipeline, and acquire the required resources that couldn't be gotten at probe time. But even then, choosing the manager is not easy, as whoever chooses the manager needs to observe all the possible displays used at the same time... Tomi