From: Nivedita SInghvi <niveditasinghvi@gmail.com>
To: Leandro Lucarella <leandro.lucarella@sociomantic.com>
Cc: Rick Jones <rick.jones2@hp.com>,
	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@gmail.com>,
	netdev@vger.kernel.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Doubts about listen backlog and tcp_max_syn_backlog
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 22:12:46 -0800	[thread overview]

On 01/24/2013 11:21 AM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 10:44:32AM -0800, Rick Jones wrote:

>>> I was just kind of quoting the name given by netstat: "SYNs to LISTEN
>>> sockets dropped" (for kernel 3.0, I noticed newer kernels don't have
>>> this stat anymore, or the name was changed). I still don't know if we
>>> are talking about the same thing.

[snip]
>> I will sometimes be tripped-up by netstat's not showing a statistic
>> with a zero value...

Leandro, you should be able to do an nstat -z, it will print all counters even if zero. You should see something like so:

ipv4]> nstat -z
#kernel
IpInReceives                    2135               0.0
IpInHdrErrors                   0                  0.0
IpInAddrErrors                  202                0.0

You might want to take a look at those (your pkts may not even be making it to tcp) and these in particular:

TcpExtSyncookiesSent            0                  0.0
TcpExtSyncookiesRecv            0                  0.0
TcpExtSyncookiesFailed          0                  0.0
TcpExtListenOverflows           0                  0.0
TcpExtListenDrops               0                  0.0
TcpExtTCPBacklogDrop            0                  0.0
TcpExtTCPMinTTLDrop             0                  0.0
TcpExtTCPDeferAcceptDrop        0                  0.0

If you don't have nstat on that version for some reason, download the latest iproute pkg. Looking at the counter names is a lot more helpful and precise than the netstat converstion to human consumption.

> Yes, I already did captures and we are definitely loosing packets
> (including SYNs), but it looks like the amount of SYNs I'm loosing is
> lower than the amount of long connect() times I observe. This is not
> confirmed yet, I'm still investigating.

Where did you narrow down the drop to? There are quite a few places in the networking stack we silently drop packets (such as the one pointed out earlier in this thread), although they should almost all be extremely low probability/NEVER type events. Do you want a patch to gap the most likely scenario? (I'll post that to netdev separately).

thanks,
Nivedita