On 19.02.2013 13:58, Martin Wilck wrote: > Vladimir, > > thanks for your thoughtful answer. I understand your concerns better now. > > On 02/19/2013 10:37 AM, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote: > >> Suppose blocklist changes because of e.g. user mistake. Yet at the old >> location there is still the old core.img. For the time being. So this >> problem may go unnoticed for years yet if someone has the ability to >> create new files on the disk in question, he creates ton of files with >> copies of malicious sector, one of them will overwrite core and be >> executed on next reboot. > > Am I understanding correctly that the user mistake you describe must be > some manipulation of "core.img" itself (e.g. running grub2-mkimage but > now grub2-setup, which would classify as "mistake" in a blocklist setup)? Yes. Such kind of mistakes. Or deleting GRUB and restoring it from backup. > > Martin >