* Add a new recipe/meta layer to Yocto
@ 2015-01-27  6:56 Fung, Joshua
From: Fung, Joshua @ 2015-01-27  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I am new to Yocto project.  I have been working on some SW components, and I'll like to know how can I upstream it to Yocto so that it may be reused by others.
I have searched the FAQ and find https://www.yoctoproject.org/blogs/dvhart/2011/extending-yocto-project-poky-meta-layers.
Yet I still have no clue what to do with the job.
Anyone care to shed some light ?

Best regards,
Joshua Fung

* Re: Add a new recipe/meta layer to Yocto
@ 2015-01-27 10:53 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2015-01-27 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fung, Joshua; +Cc: yocto

Hi Joshua,

On Tuesday 27 January 2015 06:56:14 Fung, Joshua wrote:
> I am new to Yocto project.  I have been working on some SW components, and
> I'll like to know how can I upstream it to Yocto so that it may be reused
> by others. I have searched the FAQ and find
> https://www.yoctoproject.org/blogs/dvhart/2011/extending-yocto-project-poky
> -meta-layers. Yet I still have no clue what to do with the job.
> Anyone care to shed some light ?

Adding new software almost always means adding a recipe, assuming none already
exists. If it's some third-party piece of software you can search the recipes
available in the community here in case someone has already created one:

  http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/recipes/

If you need to write a new recipe, have a look here:

  http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#new-recipe-writing-a-new-recipe

Once you're done, if the recipe fits into an existing layer, you could
send a patch to add it to the appropriate layer - here's some info on how
to do that:

  http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/How_to_submit_a_patch_to_OpenEmbedded

Here's some more general information on layers:

  http://www.openembedded.org/Layers_FAQ

HTH.

Cheers,
Paul