From: Hector Palacios <hector.palacios@digi.com>
To: Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com>
Cc: "linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	Marek Vasut <marex@denx.de>,
	"alsa-devel@alsa-project.org" <alsa-devel@alsa-project.org>,
	Shawn Guo <shawn.guo@linaro.org>,
	Dong Aisheng <b29396@freescale.com>,
	"Mark Brown" <broonie@opensource.wolfsonmicro.com>
Subject: Re: BUG: soft lockup when recording audio on MX28EVK with ASoC sgtl5000
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:43:41 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Fabio,

On 03/26/2013 12:15 AM, Fabio Estevam wrote:
> Hector,
>
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Hector,
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 7:52 AM, Hector Palacios
>> <hector.palacios@digi.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I just tried recording audio on Freescale's MX28EVK that uses ASoC sgtl5000
>>> (kernel v3.8) with:
>>>
>>>          arecord -M -f cd sound.wav --duration 10
>>>
>>> and got a scheduler message:
>>>
>>> [  789.041847] [sched_delayed] sched: RT throttling activated
>>
>> I have just tested arecord on 3.8,4 and I haven't seen the 'soft lockup' bug.
>>
>> However, I see that mxs saif gets busy after the record and any
>> attempt to do an 'aplay' after the first arecord fails.
>>
>> With the attached patch applied I am able to do arecord/aplay sequence
>> several times.
>>
>> I don't have a cable handy here to actually test if the sound is
>> recorded properly or not.
>>
>> Could you please test it against 3.8.4?
>
> I managed to test arecord and it works with the following as follows:
>
> 1. Run alsamixer and select LINE_IN in the Capture element
>
> 2. Record with the following command line:
>
> arecord -D hw:0,1 -d 10 -f S16_LE -r 44100 -c  test.wav

This command works on v3.8 even without your patch. I can arecord/aplay several times
without problems.

With my original command 'arecord [-M] -f cd sound.wav --duration 10', the soft lockup
appears both in v3.8 and v3.8.4 with and without your patch. So it looks like the
patch does not help here.

Héctor Palacios