From: Sven Eckelmann <sven@narfation.org>
To: b.a.t.m.a.n@lists.open-mesh.org
Subject: Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Integrity checks for packets, who does it?
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 17:37:22 +0100	[thread overview]

On Friday 20 November 2015 15:42:36 Patrick Bosch wrote:
> ICMP should be encapsulated by IP, which is encapsulated by the Wi-Fi
> mac header. Now I know that batman advanced inserts it's own header.
> The question is, where exactly? Does it encapsulate the Wi-Fi mac and
> takes over the integrity check or not? Also, how does it behave in the
> case of enabled encryption? WPA2 has it's own integrity check.

Layers:

4.   ICMP
3.   IP
2.5: batman-adv + the original ethernet header
2.   Eth/WiFi/...
1.   ...

So it just doesn't know about the encryption because the encryption + MIC
happens at a lower layer.

> The reason I ask, is that in Wireshark, it appears as ICMP when I
> sniff the traffic without encryption enabled.

Wireshark (especially 2.0) can dissect/parse the batman-adv
headers/encapsulation. You should check the "Packet Details" view in wireshark
to see the different headers and the payload.

Kind regards,
	Sven