On 05/29/2013 04:31 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote: > On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 02:32:50PM +0200, Julian Stecklina wrote: >> On 05/28/2013 07:00 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote: >>> We aren't going to support any interface that enables out of tree >>> devices. This is just plugins in a different form with even more >>> downsides. You cannot easily keep track of dirty info, the guest >>> physical address translation to host is difficult to keep in sync >>> (imagine the complexity of memory hotplug). >> >> Is there a document describing the current qemu VM migration process, >> especially the dirty page tracking, except the code? >> >> As a side note: The downsides of a naive approach are about that of PCI >> passtrough devices with the opportunity to fix them later on. That being >> said, I can live with this not being included in mainline qemu. > > Asking for documentation and in the next paragraph stating you don't > mind keeping patches out-of-tree... > > The QEMU community exists because people are willing to contribute. If > you intend to only "take" and not "give", then you'll find that people > gradually stop responding to your emails. I am not saying that this will be closed in any way. I'll create a github repo once I have to show something. If there is interest in getting this into mainline qemu, then why not. Currently, it seems that there is a categorical rejection of such functionality. But this discussion is moot until there is working code. ;) Julian