From: Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@lwfinger.net>
To: "shiki.biomernok" <shiki.biomernok@gmail.com>
Cc: Xose Vazquez Perez <xose.vazquez@gmail.com>,
	linux-wireless <linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: TP-Link 8200ND - rtl8192cu module not loading / working
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:05:36 -0500	[thread overview]

On 06/27/2013 10:32 AM, shiki.biomernok wrote:
> Hello!
>
> So I already wanted to write a letter about how the new driver won't do
> anything. Then I got Larry's message and applied the patch immediately.
>
> - The device starts up with no led activity (it should blink (slow) if plugged in)
> ^This is an annoying "feature", but... yeah.
>
> - LED goes off if you disconnect. (Actually I like this behavior a lot more.)
>
> - With this driver, I can actually connect and get a password wrong dialog.
> (it's correct.) So I suppose it's the same thing.. auth failed, just now I have
> my proper Nm-applet dialog, asking for a new password. (Oh, and finally this
> driver shows activity in the tray, as in, you can see it tries to connect. You
> know, that green orb going around. But only one of them is green and you will
> get prompted for a new password.)
>
> Here is the dmesg (hope it helps.):
> http://pastebin.com/uUsp7edb

The dmesg output shows that the device authenticated and associated. If you
still got a password problem after that, then the device is not able to actually
transmit data.

> I tried to compile the Linus git version of the kernel, but it comes with an
> even older wireless code than the "wireless-next" one. (Well, obviously, but you
> know.)

Of course. Wireless-next has the code that will be in 3.11. I think I told you
to use wireless-testing, which is the tree I use. It is essentially 3.10 with a
few changes that are in the pipeline.

> Could I go more verbose somehow?
> Maybe with THIS driver? Or somehow fiddle with my router?

You could change the line in core/debug.c that says "u32 GlobalDebugLevel =
_drv_info_". The symbol _drv_info_ has value 7, and you could try values down to
1; however, I am not prepared to spend a lot of time looking at such dumps.

A better approach would be to use a different computer and wireshark to capture
the "in the air" traffic between the 8200ND and the AP.

> Ps.: That  really sucks Larry. I mean, you are the wireless wizard for Realtek
> and you don't get devices? Just what the... why? All of my why, man...

I get all PCI devices, which is why their drivers are in better shape.

Larry